When did Chester really join "Hybrid Theory"?

Skipees

This is great.

I was wondering though, why do some demo CDs include demos of Carousel and Part Of Me as well as the usual And One, when they are supposed to date from after the HTEP was released?

The HTEP versions of Carousel and Part of Me are the earliest versions of those songs. They were subsequently re-arranged and re-recorded later for consideration on the full-length album. And One was re-arranged as well (the version that they performed live throughout 2000 and 2001), but for some reason they either didn't re-record that version or it just wasn't used on any of the demo CDs. I personally think there's an And One demo out there somewhere and it just hasn't been released.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HTEP versions of Carousel and Part of Me are the earliest versions of those songs. They were subsequently re-arranged and re-recorded later for consideration on the full-length album. And One was re-arranged as well (the version that they performed live throughout 2000 and 2001), but for some reason they either didn't re-record that version or it just wasn't used on any of the demo CDs. I personally think there's an And One demo out there somewhere and it just hasn't been released.

Thanks.

It does seem strange to me they never did another version of Step Up when they often did it live.

For that matter it's also weird to me that there don't seem to be any existing demos of High Voltage given that it was worked on in the Hybrid Theory sessions and the lyrics changed.

Also, has it ever been said if there is a longer version of Technique? The subtitle (Short) has always seemed intriguing.

Also, has it ever been said if there is a longer version of Technique? The subtitle (Short) has always seemed intriguing.

There's a LPUTV video named "Glorious Excess (Born)" with a longer version (but maybe just looped).

Read more here.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow this is a really interesting topic. I'd be intrigued to see where some of these demos fit in this whole time frame. For example, "she couldn't". Is that one of the early batch of demos done before the HTEP like slip, blue and so far away(not sure about this one either) or was it written and recorded later for a specific inclusion to Hybrid theory? The song "Dedicated" too raises similar questions.

I wonder....

Wow this is a really interesting topic. I'd be intrigued to see where some of these demos fit in this whole time frame. For example, "she couldn't". Is that one of the early batch of demos done before the HTEP like slip, blue and so far away(not sure about this one either) or was it written and recorded later for a specific inclusion to Hybrid theory? The song "Dedicated" too raises similar questions.

I wonder....

I would think She Couldn't is a post-HTEP song, because it was on the 8-track demo CD with the post-HTEP demos of Carousel and Part of Me. They didn't seem to be using any of their first batch of demos on any of the internal promo discs (hence why we never knew that songs like Slip and Blue existed, or that there was a studio recording of the version of APFMH from Frat Party), so I think that one's a bit later than some of the others.

Dedicated is such an oddball song, I'm very reluctant to try to put a date on it. It wasn't on any promo discs, so it could be a pre-HTEP demo, but its sound quality is superior to basically every other demo from the entire Hybrid Theory era that was actually a "demo" (not stuff like the 6-track promo with the alternate versions of Papercut, With You, etc.). I've suspected for years that Dedicated had some "touch-up" work done to it between when it was originally recorded and when it was released on the LPU 2.0 CD. Mike's vocals in particular sound a lot more "professional" than they do on any of the demo recordings. Given how opposed both the band and Warner were to releasing demos during the early years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Dedicated was at least partially re-recorded while the band was working on Reanimation/early material for Meteora. They obviously didn't JUST record A.06 around that period.

All of these are fine examples of why the band shouldn't put dates on demos that they give us. For example, instead of Dedicated (1999 Demo), they could just have had Dedicated (Hybrid Theory Demo). Basically like what they did with stuff like Debris on LPU12, they just said Debris (Minutes To Midnight Demo).

Dedicated is such an oddball song, I'm very reluctant to try to put a date on it. It wasn't on any promo discs, so it could be a pre-HTEP demo, but its sound quality is superior to basically every other demo from the entire Hybrid Theory era that was actually a "demo" (not stuff like the 6-track promo with the alternate versions of Papercut, With You, etc.). I've suspected for years that Dedicated had some "touch-up" work done to it between when it was originally recorded and when it was released on the LPU 2.0 CD. Mike's vocals in particular sound a lot more "professional" than they do on any of the demo recordings. Given how opposed both the band and Warner were to releasing demos during the early years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Dedicated was at least partially re-recorded while the band was working on Reanimation/early material for Meteora. They obviously didn't JUST record A.06 around that period.

ive suspected this too man its too good of quality

Ah very intriguing! Your probably right. Although I always felt it sounded like an outtake from the HTEP itself. Almost like it was written and recorded during those sessions but cut out last minute due to it fitting with the rest of the 6ish songs. Possibility? They probably did polish it up further for LPU2, which wouldn't surprise me as it sounds too much like a complete song and not a demo at all.

Ah very intriguing! Your probably right. Although I always felt it sounded like an outtake from the HTEP itself. Almost like it was written and recorded during those sessions but cut out last minute due to it fitting with the rest of the 6ish songs. Possibility? They probably did polish it up further for LPU2, which wouldn't surprise me as it sounds too much like a complete song and not a demo at all.

I suppose that's a possibility, as the HTEP songs had higher production values than any of the demos. I'd just find it odd if they left Dedicated off of their debut EP in favor of a short little filler track like Technique.

I don't think "Blue" was created when Mark was in the band. He wasn't credited for the song.

But if "Blue" was created when he was still in the band, they didn't wrote lyrics for it before Chester joined.

I always thought of "High Voltage" from the HT EP as a demo, since it's different from the OSC single/HT version.

I agree that "Dedicated" could be an outtake from the HT EP.

I agree that "She Couldn't" was written after they released the HT EP.

What do you guys think about "Oh No"?

Is it possible that it was a Xero song created around the same time as "Coal"?

What do you guys think about "Oh No"?

Is it possible that it was a Xero song created around the same time as "Coal"?

I think those short instrumental demos (Oh No/Sad/Stick and Move) probably date from the "interim period" between Mark electing not to continue with the band, and the band finding a new singer. They're all basically just beats that Mike and/or Joe could've cooked up with an MPC or an old Mac. Not sure why Coal is the only one specifically labeled as being from '97 though, they must have had some solid reason that they knew it was older than the others.

• 10 months later...

Maybe those song are from 1998, but then chester added his vocals later on in 1999

:wacko:

EDIT: Somebody mentioned this before and now I don't know how to delete this post :lol:

Edited by mauriciokkp