When did LP shock you?

dark_master

Okay, I know most of us are hardcore fans, who know basically everything about the band, but I'm sure we all had one of those 'wow, did they really do that?' or even 'damn, is that Linkin Park?' moments. Following a band that changes on a regular basis, it's kinda inevitable. When did LP catch you off guard?

For me, it would be back in 2007, when I was listening to MTM for the very first time. The album was different from the standard stuff we knew from HT/M, but still felt Linkin Park-ish in an awesome way. However, after hearing the first nine songs, something I totally hadn't seen coming happened. A Linkin Park song lacking Chester's singing and Mike's rapping. In Between featured Mike as the lead vocalist, who was singing the main vocal melody for the first time on a studio record. I was so surprised at first, being used to the usual Chester and Mike's roles, especially given that Chester sung most of the record, that I thought it might not be really Linkin Park, but some other band's song appearing on the leak version instead. Of course, I realized what was actually happening after a few seconds, but it really caught me off guard. Six years later, it's still a very favorite song of mine.

What about you? :)

I've always appreciated that LP does their own thing and creates unique music and pretty much just make whatever they want. MTM didn't really shock me. I guess what shocked me the most was probably the first time I heard The Catalyst and then the rest of ATS. I wasn't expecting that much of a change.

For me it was when I heard A light that never comes for the first time, I didn't like it on the beginning, I was like "WTF, LP made a dance/EDM song", and I got disappointed very much of them. Later when I heard it a couple of times, I began to like it, I still consider it as one of worst LP songs, but I like it.

I'd say The Catalyst, we had the pieces of the song from the remix contest that were super weird, no one had an idea how it's supposed to sound like, which benefited the contest but no one got even closed. For Catalyst is followed by Lies Greed Misery, going what the fuck was that when I heard the premiere.

Minutes To Midnight is always referred to as the big game changer, I don't think it really was. ATS was a much "higher risk" from my perspective than MTM.

I'd heard MTM before really giving HT and M a proper good listen, so tht transition of styles hadn't struck me since I worked backwards, I agree with AndOne that ATS was a way bigger shock to the system.

It wasnt the Catalyst that shocked me but W&K - back when they had a new song from ATS each day on LP's myspace before the album release (why myspace of all places, I have no fucking clue..) but anyway, yeah that dark, grating sample was just .. so cool

The Catalyst shocked the hell out of me when it first came out. It seemed so different, I was like... "where are the guitars? What's with vocal effects?". It grew on me and made more sense the more I listened to it though. I think it was partly because it was the first single (bar New Divide) released after I'd become a fan, and felt so different to anything they'd already released.

The collaboration with Jay Z shocked me I guess. I was/am more into the rock element of LP and knew very little about Jay Z so really didn't know what to expect.

Turned out to be awesome though obviously.

ATS shocked me too initially and I didn't immediately "get it".

First time hearing MTM it surprised me, but ATS is what shocked me. It was such a huge departure from anything I would have expected from them. I love that album, but yeah that's the time LP shocked me. Specifically The Catalyst when I first heard the album version.

The Catalyst. I started becoming a fan from MTM, The Catalyst took the LP sound to a whole new level and as people already said it was completely unexpected. The snippet on YouTube blew my mind. After that it would have to be ALTNC. I always viewed that song as LP trying to fit into trends which is (sadly) dubstep. I didn't expect that although I was fully aware of aoki's involvement. WID part 5, seriously? But I'll just leave it at that. Btw did I tell you I was blown away by The Catalyst?

I get in shock everytime i'm listening LP's discography and suddenly Robot Boy, HHH, BIO, IB, The Crapalyst, The messenger, STB start sounding, that's when i rather have my ears cut off.

Also, this year chester at summer sonic he proved he still can sing, just he does it whatever the fuck he wants and it pisses me off.

Edited by Joe_lp

I totally forgot WID. This was a big shock after the great QWERTY.

What I've Done still sounded very much like a song LP would put out when it was released in my opinion. Same thing with Given Up. There were still noticeable elements from their Hybrid Theory/Meteora days in those songs. The rest of the album was just so out of left field.

What I've Done still sounded very much like a song LP would put out when it was released in my opinion. Same thing with Given Up. There were still noticeable elements from their Hybrid Theory/Meteora days in those songs. The rest of the album was just so out of left field.

I feel as though WID bridged the gap between their old sound and their new sound with MTM. I also think that is what they set out to do.