How should next record sound like?

I love Rick as a producer for LP because he made MTM which IMO is like the best album of all time for me, and he also worked with them on ATS and also in LT. I enjoyed all those albums and I am sure I will next time to. He gives LP freedom and Rick is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to music, Mike says that all the time. I think a lot of LP fans seem to not understand how smart and brilliant Rick is.. which is a shame.

Mike said that they are comfortable with him because he is not with them all the time, he visits them like 2 or 3 times per month

i didn't knew that at all, so basically Mike is the executive producer. Edited by Skipees

Would like to see more emphasis on guitar riffing ala POA/Qwerty/GU. LP hasn't done anything of guitar noteworthy since MTM. The guitars on LT sounded very uninspired and had too many mid-tempo tracks. Let's hear some heavy rockers next time out.

I'd like to hear them expand on their instrumentation a little more. Maybe some more string sections, and brass could be cool too. I'd like to hear a real moving, upbeat LP song with some trumpets and saxes blasting in the background.

I'd like to hear them expand on their instrumentation a little more. Maybe some more string sections, and brass could be cool too. I'd like to hear a real moving, upbeat LP song with some trumpets and saxes blasting in the background.

This. If you look at the multitracks for LIVING THINGS, namely LOST IN THE ECHO, not much happens instrumentally outside of the synths. I muted the synths, and it was basically an acapella with some random electronic guitar riffs, bass synths, and electronic drum beats. At least A Thousand Suns had a lot going on instrumentally. LIVING THINGS seemed kind of bare in that regard.

Heavy. Heavier than HT+Meteora. :D

Haha, not gonna happen. Meteora is the heaviest we will ever get from LP IMO. I would like some more heavier stuff from LP, but not the whole album. I like a lot of their slower stuff now more than I used to in the past. HT and Meteora are amazing, but I think a nice mixture would be good. LP could have pulled that off with LT, but the songs that weren't slow songs were not heavy enough. Victimized was way too short and the others needed some more aggressive vocals and guitar.

If they don't let Mike take over producing by himself, I'd like to see them try Steve Lillywhite. Random choice, yes, but I am a pretty big fan of his work. He worked with The Killers, 30 Seconds To Mars, Dave Matthews Band and more recently. He does well with the bands that are getting older in their careers (like 5+ albums) so I think LP should give him a try. Probably it wouldn't happen. Brian Eno is not a bad choice either.

Rubin I feel like just tells the band to do whatever the fuck they want, if something happens it's meant to be, if it doesn't happen it's not meant to be, etc. Really laid back approach. Don Gilmore worked the fuck out of the band to produce mega quality music. Of course their sound has changed but I am pretty astonished at how LIVING THINGS isn't nearly as great quality-wise as their previous albums. Maybe I'm in the minority on that statement but I'd love to see them try someone else.

For instance, I could be wrong for all I know, but maybe Rick was the one that said "fuck it, if the VICTIMIZED demo only came out to be 1 minute and 46 seconds long, fuck it, it's meant to be that long and throw that shit on the album".

LIVING THINGS is all over the fucking place. Thrashy, epic drums on VICTIMIZED and like all sampled drums on POWERLESS. WTF lol. There are good songs on LT but I feel like another producer would have saidlet's improve these songs some more and fix some stuff here, resulting in a better sound and a better album. I don't think Don Gilmore would come out and say LIES GREED MISERY is a good song, for example.

Of course their sound has changed but I am pretty astonished at how LIVING THINGS isn't nearly as great quality-wise as their previous albums. Maybe I'm in the minority on that statement but I'd love to see them try someone else.

i'm totally with you with this thing. all the previous albums have some "line" who connect the songs together, but Living Things is like some random songs that somehow find their way to one cd.

More guitars, more aggression and screaming

maybe some rough vocals, idk.

id like to see if they could drop abit of their commercial sound and maybe make something, darker (for a lack of a better word). thatd be great

The lyrics could definitely be darker...for sure. MTM/ATS had some darker lyrics, but LT got rid of that.

Shinoda could easily produce the entire thing but that seems to be something they don't want and rather have someone else producing to have a better "2nd opinion" during the whole process. Rick is more like a guide that helps rather than a "dictator". It would be interesting to see if they could even settle with someone else besides Rubin, since they are so used to "freedom". I think it's time for someone new, I'd like to see that.