Alternate Versions Guide

Skipees

The clean version is only because of multitracks. Before I wrote my question I checked all clean versions on iTunes and other stores by listening snippets, there is no clean version in stores. From the beginning this song was not marked as explicit song in the stores, so they don't introduced clean version to the store.

It's the same on the "Recharged" album. Two songs have explicit lyrics and (just like whole album) they are not marked as explicit version.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a topic to all Alternate Versions Live? If yes, send me link, please :rolleyes:

Would be Awesome a list with all alternate versions played live.

LPLive, best site/forum about Linkin Park, thanks :wub:

I don't remember where I saw it, probably in Live Talk, but those thread exists and and has notes on versions of songs like when they debuted with different beginnings, endings, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Clean Versions:

• Wretches And Kings
What the hell on the clean version of ATS I listened from iTunes to they said shit every time in Wretches. It's not censored. It even says it on the page that was linked. And then the final motherfucker wasn't censored for WTCFM.

Obviously someone just decided to put it down without even listening to it.

https://i.imgur.com/LtI8CEN.png?1

Edited by Lorde-Wobbuffet

What the hell on the clean version of ATS I listened from iTunes to they said shit every time in Wretches. It's not censored. It even says it on the page that was linked. And then the final motherfucker wasn't censored for WTCFM.

Obviously someone just decided to put it down without even listening to it.

https://i.imgur.com/LtI8CEN.png?1

The clean version is because of multitracks.

Edited by martinez

The physical version has an actual clean version of W&K.

It does? That's strange af. When I was in middle school my parents refused to buy the album for me off iTunes because W&K wasn't censored. I got it anyways when my friend ripped it though lol.

So they did a half-ass job on the digital version's censoring and then did it thoroughly on the physical one? Is the final "motherfucker" censored in WTCFM on the physical one?

No. I never noticed this.

During the whole song they use this effect on Mike's voice ("try to catch up mother mother mother mother...") but at the end of the song you can clearly hear "motherfucker". :lol:

It's completely untouched. I personally believe it's a big "fuck you" to someone, somewhere. But that last "motherfucker" is left as it is on the explicit version. Plus, if you listen closely, you can still faintly hear "fucker" after all the echoes. I've always wondered about the censoring (or honestly, lack thereof lol) on that track.

Then in the second verse he says "Chuck said an Uzi weighs a motherfuthuh ton" :lol:

Edited by Lorde-Wobbuffet

They didn't forget to mark W&K as explicit in the ATS live album https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thousand-suns-live-around/id547124314

Recharged should have been available as a clean version, cuz there are two songs with explicit lyrics.

Explicit lyrics don't always guarantee that an album will get a Parental Advisory label. There's a general list of guidelines that the RIAA has for when to use one, but even then, it's ultimately up to the record label whether or not they deem it necessary. The presence of the PA label is what retailers ultimately look at when it comes to whether or not they want to stock one or both versions of an album. Clean versions only exist for the purpose of distributing music to retailers like Walmart that won't sell anything with a PA sticker on it. No PA sticker = no need to make a clean version.

Explicit lyrics don't always guarantee that an album will get a Parental Advisory label. There's a general list of guidelines that the RIAA has for when to use one, but even then, it's ultimately up to the record label whether or not they deem it necessary. The presence of the PA label is what retailers ultimately look at when it comes to whether or not they want to stock one or both versions of an album. Clean versions only exist for the purpose of distributing music to retailers like Walmart that won't sell anything with a PA sticker on it. No PA sticker = no need to make a clean version.

I can name who knows how many explicit albums without PA labels. One-X, Saturate, Three Days Grace...THE HUNTING PARTY...

• 2 weeks later...

So I think they did not want to release THP clean version on CD, so that's why only digital version have PA label.

• 3 months later...

I remember Astat saying the single version of "White Noise" had a different mix from the album version.

The Catalyst:
  • 5:40 Album Version [Long intro, additional outro]
  • 4:40 Radio Edit
  • 5:32 Medal Of Honor Soundtrack [Different intro]
  • 7:29 Promo Edit [Radio Edit + Chester and Mike talking about the song (before and after)]

The album version from A Thousand Suns is also different from the album version on the single.

On A Thousand Suns, the song starts with a piano note while the single version doesn't have it.

I remember Astat saying the single version of "White Noise" had a different mix from the album version.

The album version from A Thousand Suns is also different from the album version on the single.

On A Thousand Suns, the song starts with a piano note while the single version doesn't have it.

I don't think the White Noise thing is really true, the single version just sounds like it wasn't as brickwalled as the final master.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Final Masquerade single version is 3:40, no ALITS transition and a little more silence at the end.

Actually, I can hear transition of ALITS at the end a little bit. Looks like they just use album version for the single and just fade it out at the end. They didn't remove ALITS parts from the song.