Julien-K cancel their shows in Russia

SergSlim

Official statement by the band from their Facebook page:

Dearest Russian fans,

Here we are, in Helsinki, on the edge of entering Russia for our shows supporting MSI in St. Petersburg and Moscow, with all of our travel and hotels booked and paid for – and as of the last 24 hours, we have learned that the support that we NEED to get into the country appears to be incomplete. I don't want to give a lot of complicated details, but we did everything we could do to get in, but it was impossible for us to finally get the invitation and paperwork needed to enter the country.

Unfortunately this means we are NOT going to be able to play the Russian dates. We now understand why so many small, independent bands have trouble getting in there to play!

We are very, very sorry. We are DEVASTATED actually, as we all booked extra days in Moscow after the show to enjoy Russia and hang out with our amazing friends & fans.

@MSI is an amazing band, and I suggest you go see their performance! I also would LOVE it if you would take a picture of yourself and your tickets and post them on our Facebook timeline. We are working on a special “we're sorry” gift for those of you who bought tickets to see us.

WE WILL MAKE PLANS TO GET INTO RUSSIA AGAIN. We're fucking pissed now – and we want to accomplish our goal of finally playing for all of you in Russia.

Love you all.

- Ryan & the rest of the Julien-K

Wow, this seems to be really frustrating for everyone, the band themselves, and all the fans in Russia.

I never thought that there might be any problems getting into Russia, as opposed to getting out of it, especially when this has to do with US citizens, who are well known world-wide.

Few other posts in comments under this post:

Stewart Stanfield: this band constantly lets down fans I'm sick of it, even with there good music I'm now no longer a fan

Julien-K: Perhaps Stewart would like to come help us out with Russian work visas, logistical support and planning, and maybe even throw in a little of his own money to add to the massive amount of money we spent trying to get in Russia to play these shows. We could use a smart guy like Stewart to help us out, because obviously were to stupid to figure it out. Unfortunately Stewart, when u are an small independent band (that means u are not w a major label), u have no one looking out for you. U have make it all happen yourself (I'm sure you have a lot of experience touring the world and booking and traveling through oh.... I don't know 30-40 countries, all w different laws and requirements). Thanks for your awesome support. U seem like a really great guy.

Julien-K: BTW Stewart - u can easily find us. We're really CLOSE to Russia right now - because we're big boys we figured out how to get ALL THE WAY through our 4th European tour in 2 years ... All the way to Helsinki.... Man could we use some smart guy to help us get into Russia!! That would be .... Magical! Take a red eye! Like we do every few days!

Julien-K: It should only be a few thousand dollars to get out by tomorrow?? Maybe even less? Ill give u our hotel info privately, u can met us here and help us to not let people down! :)

Julien-K: (All from ryan - I am fucking fuming mad that we aren't getting into Russia)...

Jamie Lyons: Ive been a fan from the first day and I booked tickets, hotels and travel for London, Bradford and Scotland and yous canceled. I don't mind cause yous are one of my favourite bands but I dragged and persuaded Stewart to come with me even though he's not really a fan and he lost a lot of money let's just say lol. I wouldnt get worked up over what he's saying. He's not a real fan. Just keep bringing out good music then I'm happy :-)

Julien-K: Jaime, I totally get it. We lose thousands of dollars when we have to cancel shows. Thousands. So believe me, when we have had to cancel, it is for very real reasons - sometimes immigration and work permits can absolutely stop u from entering a country. UK and Russia are more strict about it. If it were a matter of "a bottle of vodka at the border" or "200-300 $$ at the border" we would be IN. Our problems ate much more expensive and much more real.

Julien-K: But I can't just sit back and let some fucking jerk make us out to be a band that doesn't LOVE our fans. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't.

Stewart Stanfield: you let fans down in Britain at two shows and no reasons were given. help you guys this is your job travelling and playing music what on earth have you to worry about your well paid musicians go be a nurse or a police man then you will have something to moan about at your job. as for red eyes I do lots of travel booking I follow my country abroad and organize it myself cos like you say I'm a smart guy and a great guy. cheers for the compliments

Julien-K: If I were a nurse, then maybe I could change your wet diaper? That's prob a good idea. Thanks for the advice. I know we're the only band on earth to have ever cancelled some shows.... So I def should look into nursing.

Melissa St John: I know you guys were really excited to finally get over there :( Ignore the Stewarts of the world, kick ass tonight and have fun!

Julien-K: I'm liking the nurse idea!

Julien-K: And yes Melissa... We were ... SO FUCKING EXCITED that we spent a shitload of money to get here!

cancelling shows is disappointing for fans, but I truly agree with what Ryan said.

I don't think this excuses how petty and childish Ryan became over the criticisms though...

I know bands that have gone under and are facing bankruptcy and all sorts simply due to a van breakdown -> show cancellations -> less promotion -> lack of merch/CD sales -> no moeny to fix the van...

independent small bands have it really tough

#1 err it's JK's fault. Who the hell books shit BEFORE they get a green light with their papers and visas? FAIL

#2 some of the answers aren't too good for their "image". Turn off the irony :D

I know Russia sucks balls if it's about getting there but wtf? Looks like not all people know you have to have some sort of invitation, especially if it's about doing a show there :o

Edited by michalangelo

You can't even fucking get into Canada with a 15-year old misdemeanor on your record these days, so this doesn't surprise me. Nobody wants to let people from the U.S. into their country anymore (unless they've got a shitload of money, of course).

#1 err it's JK's fault. Who the hell books shit BEFORE they get a green light with their papers and visas? FAIL

#2 some of the answers aren't too good for their "image". Turn off the irony :D

I know Russia sucks balls if it's about getting there but wtf? Looks like not all people know you have to have some sort of invitation, especially if it's about doing a show there :o

Actually, it's not their fault. We were at the fucking border dude. You wasn't there and you don't know what happened or how we were treated, so don't go running your little bitch mouth before you start thinking you know your shit.

Edited by Wilderness

Actually, it's not their fault. We were at the fucking border dude. You wasn't there and you don't know what happened or how we were treated, so don't go running your little bitch mouth before you start thinking you know your shit.

Another hater hahaha i dont give a damn what you say :) not their (i'm not talking about the band members sherlock) fault then whos fault is it (no names, no nothing - that speaks for itself...)? I know enough to know that entering Russia is a pain on the ass with invitation papers and visa so the one who has "little bitch mouth" is you. FAIL :)

From FB:

...That means, some of your staff needs to go, because they don't do their job correctly..

That's what I mean :) Someone clearly fucked up but seems that they're afraid to admit it, blaming Russian border... Edited by michalangelo

Seriously? The tone of this thread is completely uncalled for. Be nice or just don't say anything. No one knows the exact details of what happened, because Ryan didn't fully explain.

Moving on with the conversation now.

Lee knows. He was there lol. And yes they have a tour manager, he's one of the coolest persons I know and he knows what the hell he is doing. He's been a tour manager for many different bands and years.

But I don't know what exactly was going on either, since I wasn't there.

The thing with visas is you never know for sure until you enter the country.

When I got the wavier visa for my trip to the USA, the visa was granted but it was no guarantee that I can enter the country.

[...]

Oh dear :lol: But I'm with the band on this, they've been over to Europe every year for the past 2-3 years. Probably 3 times as much a band twice their size wouldn't even do on tour. If that isn't dedication to the fans I don't no what is.

I missed them the first time they came to the UK, 2nd time due to clashing with another band (ironically this was the one they cancelled). But 3rd time lucky! one of the best gigs I've been to in 2012. :)