Hybrid Theory 7-track Demo CD

SergSlim

Our friends at LPA got a hold of a 7-track Hybrid Theory Demo CD. It appears to have the same tracks as the 8-track CD with She Couldn't, which was our exclusive, just without this particular song. As you probably remember, that 8-track CD had a lot of static closer to the end of it. This 7-track CD has no static, so we can consider it an upgrade for existing tracks.

Posted Image

You can download both MP3 and FLAC at LPAssociation

4shared and depositfiles are all crap, direct downloads ftw.

Actually ever since MU was shut down, Deposit has been the one of the best file hosts (never tried 4shared).

No re-uploads please, use the mirrors available at LPA.

Actually ever since MU was shut down, Deposit has been the one of the best file hosts (never tried 4shared).

No re-uploads please, use the mirrors available at LPA.

i have very very very bad experiences with depositfiles so far...

i would always recommend mediafire... even if 200mb limit only, you can download unlimited files at same time..

So bummed that "She Couldn't" is not included in better quality but thanks for sharing

Yeah, that's a bit of a letdown, but thankfully the static didn't affect She Couldn't too bad on the 8-track CD anyway, it was mostly the tracks after it.

As far as a timeframe goes, this was likely just a re-pressing of the 8-track CD that was done slightly later, after it was determined that She Couldn't wasn't going to be one of the songs the band would be refining any further (likely because of the well-documented sample clearance issues with that track).

I probably shouldn't use this topic as a way of asking, but do we have a somewhat-specific timeline of all the pre-debut album releases? (Like, the 8 and 9 track demos, the HTEP, the 2-track demos, all those things) Like, at least the month each one was released? I've been trying to get all my demos in the proper release order for years.

Also, it's really nice to have these, since I really like Carousel and part of Me from this demo and the static made them almost impossible to listen to (particularly because my Sennheisers made the static so much more obvious). Great find.

I probably shouldn't use this topic as a way of asking, but do we have a somewhat-specific timeline of all the pre-debut album releases? (Like, the 8 and 9 track demos, the HTEP, the 2-track demos, all those things) Like, at least the month each one was released? I've been trying to get all my demos in the proper release order for years.

Also, it's really nice to have these, since I really like Carousel and part of Me from this demo and the static made them almost impossible to listen to (particularly because my Sennheisers made the static so much more obvious). Great find.

The HTEP definitely comes first out of those releases. The 9-track demo CD is dated February 11, 2000 (meaning the demos contained on it were likely recorded in late 1999/the very beginning of 2000), the 8-track doesn't have a date on it, and the 7-track (which we know came after the 8-track) is labeled "Demos from 02-2000," which seems to suggest that February of 2000 was when those tracks were recorded. Based on that, plus the differences between the 9 and 8-track versions of certain songs (the most telltale sign being the subtle arrangement changes to Crawling), I would say the 9-track is the oldest of the 3 demo CDs, and the 8 and 7-track versions came a little bit later in the "narrowing down" process for what songs would be on Hybrid Theory. I'm really not sure where the 2-track APFMH/By Myself demo comes into play, obviously it was before the name change to Linkin Park, but other than that it's hard to say (although it IS the only demo CD to use the final "By Myself" and "A Place for My Head" titles, so I'm inclined to say it came out sometime in early-mid 2000, after all the other demos). If you want to go a bit further than that even, the unmastered copy of Hybrid Theory was dated May of 2000, the Wicked World of Warner sampler with Now I See on it was a promo that was given away during the Ozzfest tour, so it would've come out in July of 2000. I'm really not sure when the Raw Power promo with the By Myself demo came out.

Edited by Astat

The HTEP definitely comes first out of those releases. The 9-track demo CD is dated February 11, 2000 (meaning the demos contained on it were likely recorded in late 1999/the very beginning of 2000), the 8-track doesn't have a date on it, and the 7-track (which we know came after the 8-track) is labeled "Demos from 02-2000," which seems to suggest that February of 2000 was when those tracks were recorded. Based on that, plus the differences between the 9 and 8-track versions of certain songs (the most telltale sign being the subtle arrangement changes to Crawling), I would say the 9-track is the oldest of the 3 demo CDs, and the 8 and 7-track versions came a little bit later in the "narrowing down" process for what songs would be on Hybrid Theory. I'm really not sure where the 2-track APFMH/By Myself demo comes into play, obviously it was before the name change to Linkin Park, but other than that it's hard to say (although it IS the only demo CD to use the final "By Myself" and "A Place for My Head" titles, so I'm inclined to say it came out sometime in early-mid 2000, after all the other demos). If you want to go a bit further than that even, the unmastered copy of Hybrid Theory was dated May of 2000, the Wicked World of Warner sampler with Now I See on it was a promo that was given away during the Ozzfest tour, so it would've come out in July of 2000. I'm really not sure when the Raw Power promo with the By Myself demo came out.

thx for the info :) really clears pretty much everything.

Yeah, thank you very much, Astat. I knew a few of the dates, but I didn't know all of them. I think the biggest thing I was wrong about was my placement of the 9-track; I always thought it came after the 8/7-track due to the presence of She Couldn't on the 8-track.

Yeah, thank you very much, Astat. I knew a few of the dates, but I didn't know all of them. I think the biggest thing I was wrong about was my placement of the 9-track; I always thought it came after the 8/7-track due to the presence of She Couldn't on the 8-track.

Yeah, looking at just the tracklistings would make that seem like the logical conclusion, but if you think about it in terms of the way the songs are structured, it makes more sense to have the 9-track be earliest. The version of Crawling on the 9-track is the one with the stupid "I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW" intro and the short break after the first chorus, but the 8/7-track version has a more similar structure to the final album version. Also, the 9-track version of Carousel has Chester echoing Mike's "he/she can only fool himself/herself for so long" lines before the choruses, which is something that's also present on the HTEP, but isn't present on the 8/7-track version. It makes more sense for that to have been edited out on the "last" version of the 3, rather than have it be present in the first version, cut out of the second, then added back for the third. The slight lyrical changes on Carousel/Part of Me from the 8/7-track CDs make it easy to put them last in the sequence too.