What I Missed in ATS

Mystery

Now this is my favorite Linkin Park album tied with Minutes To Midnight, so don't look at me as trolling or bashing. These are things I just missed in A Thousand Suns.

- Live strings. Listen to "Opening". Fucking beautiful introduction to an album. Even listen to "Leave Out All The Rest" or "Breaking The Habit". Strings work well in a song, and they build this huge sonic landscape within a track. So much energy, emotion, and power can come from strings in a song. Sadly, there was none in this album.

- That one instrumental track that is on every album. They always had one instrumental track on an album, and they way they have been working synths on ATS, they could've made me shit my pants with a 2 minute instrumental.

- Rob Bourdon. The electonic drum overdose on this album takes away from the quality of the music. Most of Burning In The Skies sounds like it has a looped club beat from Garageband. Wretches And Kings sounds like Mike made a drum beat in 5 minutes, and looped it. The Catalyst opening drums are so boring it's not even funny, although I like the second set of electro drums.

These are three things I just miss from their previous albums, that never showed up this time around. What about you all?

As much as I hate to admit it, as a generally casual listener, I miss the "comfort food" of simple and gratifying music that sounds like Linkin Park. While they were not my favorite songs on MTM, songs like Leave Out All The Rest and What I've Done that were just bite-sized and fun to listen to casually really made the album for me. Whereas on ATS, there aren't really any of these types of songs. While I agree that ATS is without a doubt musically far superior to anything Linkin Park has written in the past, sometimes I get tired of the unique and crazy stuff and I just want a familiar little anthem to rock out to.

Just my two cents.

Things I Miss

The instrumental track that wasn't there.

The Guitars that weren't there enough.

More Full Tracks- OMG, you have probably heard this a bijillion times, but seriously, what the crap was with all the stupid instrumentals. That's the main thing that made ATS not as good IMO.

Chester Screaming- Even in Minutes to Midnight Chester Screams, but on ATS, all we got is like kinda-screams on Blackout. I miss his screaming.

A catchy song that never leaves your head- yeah sure my two favorite LP songs are from ATS but non of them are like catchy songs that make me always want to listen to them. I was addicted to WaK at one point but overall none of the songs are addicting. yes, the album is great, but not addicting.

I missed the strings that weren't there.

I missed that ATS didn't sound like an LP album- Yes, i do LOVE ATS, it is my 2nd favorite LP album. But to be honest it didn't sound like an LP album. Even MTM had elements of the old LP and sounded like an LP album.

I miss the fact that ATS wasn't as succesful as the other albums. It is great work, and should get more recognition.

I LOVE ATS but thats what i missed

Edited by LinkinParkFan4Ever

Like the person avobe, I also think that there is no doubt that ATS is LP's best album.

But i wanted:

• Live strings in Waiting for the End, instead of Mike's guitar part.
  • 1 more track with screams, not something brutal like Blackout, but something like From the Inside / No More Sorrow
  • A 5 minute badass balad with real guitar solo (The Little Things Give You Away / My Immortal)
  • Robot Boy solo to be played on guitar instead of synth
  • One 1.5/2 minute interlude with 6/8 lines of text, instead of The Radiance or WJL
  • Burning in the skies to have bridge instead of guitar solo
  • Better finishing song. The Messenger is a nice song but it is not suited as last song of an album

Heavy guitar riffs....Yes, ATS wouldn't be ATS with those, and I'm quite glad they aren't there for that reason. But on the other hand, LP haven't made a song with a heavy riff for a hell lot of time (last one being No More Sorrow). And I miss that. Really.

EDIT: BTW, I don't mean background guitars (No Roads Left, Numb, In The End) but litteraly, heavy riffs (One Step Closer, Qwerty,...)

Edited by Qwerty18

As much as I hate to admit it, as a generally casual listener, I miss the "comfort food" of simple and gratifying music that sounds like Linkin Park. While they were not my favorite songs on MTM, songs like Leave Out All The Rest and What I've Done that were just bite-sized and fun to listen to casually really made the album for me. Whereas on ATS, there aren't really any of these types of songs. While I agree that ATS is without a doubt musically far superior to anything Linkin Park has written in the past, sometimes I get tired of the unique and crazy stuff and I just want a familiar little anthem to rock out to.

Just my two cents.

I see what you mean- you kinda miss that big, anthemic rock thing that LP are so good at.

I'd also liked more noticeable, harder guitars- When They Come for Me and Wretches and Kings could have sounded a lot more aggressive with more distorted guitars, and I think The Catalyst and Blackout could have used some heavy guitars in pars.

I still believe that they havent used Chester's full vocal potential, he can sing a lot better than this, he still a 'young man' i dont want Chester to try to scream again when he is at his 40's this is the time

its about time to have the most heavy Linkin Park album ever, and yes, heavy about guitars, not synths...

I still believe that they havent used Chester's full vocal potential, he can sing a lot better than this, he still a 'young man' i dont want Chester to try to scream again when he is at his 40's this is the time

its about time to have the most heavy Linkin Park album ever, and yes, heavy about guitars, not synths...

i agree. They need to make the heaviest LP album yet. It would be awesome if their next album would be thier heaviest yet

i miss a good catchy song. Every album so far has had at leas one. I song that kinda makes the album and sticks around more so than the album itself.

HT = In The End

Meteora = Numb

MTM = What I've Done

ATS = ?

I guess it has the potential to be Iridescent (assuming it's a single), but at this point I don't think there will really be an album defining song.

HT = In The End

Meteora = Numb

MTM = What I've Done

ATS = ?

I guess it has the potential to be Iridescent (assuming it's a single), but at this point I don't think there will really be an album defining song.

hoe bout:

Meteora- Breaking the Habit instead. thats the really catchy song in my opinion.

For me, there are just certain parts to some of the songs that bother me. Blackout bothers me when the whole song completely changes into Mike singing softly, it should have been a separate track or at least had a final chorus from Chester. It ends way too abruptly. Wretches And Kings should have had a final chorus too. I guess they made the song like that though because they wanted that structure. And barely any audible guitar kind of sucks...

hoe bout:

Meteora- Breaking the Habit instead. thats the really catchy song in my opinion.

Like it or not, Numb was the massive hit from Meteora and is up there with In the End and New Divide in their "most popular songs" list.

I never thought Faint was so huge, but that seems to be a really popular one as well.