Other "A Thousand Suns" Singles?

JustinLydard

So we've already got "The Catalyst" and "Waiting for the End" and I'm pretty sure we all know the next one is more than likely going to end up being "Iridescent" because of the sticker that came with the cd...

So, what could be the 4th or even possibly the 5th single?

Hybrid Theory had Four.

Meteora had Five

Minutes to Midnight had Five.

So what do you all think the other single/singles will end up being??

I think Iridescent will be the last single. I'm not saying it will be the next single, just the last one. The band has always ended on a high note in the past (In the End, Breaking the Habit, Leave Out All the Rest) so I don't see why Iridescent won't follow. LP is a big act and big acts tend to release more singles.

Also, Meteora had six if you count Lying from You.

1st: The Catalyst

2nd: Waiting for the End

3rd: Burning in the Skies

4th: Wretches & Kings

5th: Iridescent

This!... seriously guys... WTCFM doesn't have a chorus, how can possibly being a single?, blackout isnt mainstream at all, and the messenger doesn't really reflect the style from ATS, so it wouldnt make sense.

if you want to compare mtm singles vs ats singles it makes sense

1st: what i've done -> the catalyst (mainstream songs, with catchy chrous)

2nd: bleed it out -> waiting for the end (kinda different rythms with some vocal interactions between mike and chester)

3rd (suppossing its bits): shadow of the day -> burning in the skies (no explanation needed, they are almost in the same mood and motive)

4rd (supposing again): given up -> Wretches & kings (both songs with a strong chorus and heavier melodies)

5nd (last supposition): leave out all the rest -> iridescent (both songs being emotional, slow tempo, epic ending)

Iridescent is next 90% sure

They 100% won't make Robot Boy, Blackout and The Messenger singles

I highly doubt they will make WTCFM single, too

So - Burning in the Skies and Wretches and Kings

Five singles - fair enough

I see no reason to believe that any song is "100%" out as a single. Whether or not it's currently being played live doesn't make a difference (Breaking the Habit, Crawling, and Numb were all songs that debuted live long after their respective albums came out). Song structure clearly doesn't make a difference either, they released a 5:42 song as their leadoff single from the album for crying out loud.

This!... seriously guys... WTCFM doesn't have a chorus, how can possibly being a single?, blackout isnt mainstream at all, and the messenger doesn't really reflect the style from ATS, so it wouldnt make sense.

When They Come For Me has a chorus. It just doesn't have any lyrics in the chorus. And that hasn't stopped songs like Self Esteem by The Offspring from becoming radio hits. So what if Blackout isn't mainstream at all? Neither was The Catalyst.

There are so many potential hit singles on this album, I have no idea where they'll go from here. I think Iridescent is a lock to be a single at some point. When They Come For Me has a ton of potential. Burning in the Skies probably has the broadest appeal of any song on the album (except maybe Waiting For the End, but that's already a single). The Messenger could easily blow up as the next "feel-good acoustic ballad from a big rock band" song a la Good Riddance/Swing Life Away. Robot Boy could cross over into Top 40 territory if they wanted to release that as a single.

I seriously think the only 2 non-obvious choices for singles on the album are Wretches and Kings and Blackout. Blackout is probably the hardest track on the album to warm up to if you didn't like it right off the bat, and Wretches and Kings just seems like a second-rate When They Come For Me in a lot of ways, although it still has some commercial appeal and might do well as a single anyway.

if you want to compare mtm singles vs ats singles it makes sense

1st: what i've done -> the catalyst (mainstream songs, with catchy chrous)

2nd: bleed it out -> waiting for the end (kinda different rythms with some vocal interactions between mike and chester)

3rd (suppossing its bits): shadow of the day -> burning in the skies (no explanation needed, they are almost in the same mood and motive)

4rd (supposing again): given up -> Wretches & kings (both songs with a strong chorus and heavier melodies)

5nd (last supposition): leave out all the rest -> iridescent (both songs being emotional, slow tempo, epic ending)

That's pretty legit. I definitely think those are the songs to be the next singles.

The Messenger could easily blow up as the next "feel-good acoustic ballad from a big rock band" song a la Good Riddance/Swing Life Away.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But then again, it's a completely different generation of music. Back when Good Riddance was released in like 1997-1998, there weren't crazy people like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha topping the charts all the times.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But then again, it's a completely different generation of music. Back when Good Riddance was released in like 1997-1998, there weren't crazy people like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha topping the charts all the times.

True, but those kind of songs still seem to manage to come around every once in a while. Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's and I'm Yours by Jason Mraz are a couple more recent ones I can think of. Granted, those aren't by "big rock bands," but they're still relatively similar styles of songs.

I think the album will probably have 2 more singles, possibly 3 more but I doubt it seeing how shitty it's doing next to prior LP albums. I'm guessing

1. The Catalyst (1st Single)

2. Waiting For The End (2nd Single)

3. Iridescent (3rd Single)

4. Burning In The Skies (4th Single)

5. The Messenger OR When They Come For Me (If there is a 5th single)

ATS isn't really catchy at all, there's no real chorus anywhere and nobody likes when Mike sings, which he does like more than Linkin Park's lead singer for some reason on this album so I'm not sure.

I think the album will probably have 2 more singles, possibly 3 more but I doubt it seeing how shitty it's doing next to prior LP albums. I'm guessing

1. The Catalyst (1st Single)

2. Waiting For The End (2nd Single)

3. Iridescent (3rd Single)

4. Burning In The Skies (4th Single)

5. The Messenger OR When They Come For Me (If there is a 5th single)

ATS isn't really catchy at all, there's no real chorus anywhere and nobody likes when Mike sings, which he does like more than Linkin Park's lead singer for some reason on this album so I'm not sure.

I don't see how an album that's been out less than two months and already gone Gold in 7 countries and Platinum in 2 more, while producing 2 singles that made it to the top 10 on the Billboard Rock Songs chart (the first single going to #1 on that chart and also cracking the ever-elusive Top 40 on the Hot 100), can be "doing shitty."

Songs with well-defined choruses:

Burning in the Skies

When They Come For Me

Wretches and Kings

Iridescent

The Catalyst

The Messenger

Songs where Mike sings more than Chester:

...The Requiem and Fallout? That's seriously all I can think of. There are plenty of songs where Mike and Chester sing together or trade parts back and forth, but none where you can really say Mike sings more than Chester does.

I don't see how an album that's been out less than two months and already gone Gold in 7 countries and Platinum in 2 more, while producing 2 singles that made it to the top 10 on the Billboard Rock Songs chart (the first single going to #1 on that chart and also cracking the ever-elusive Top 40 on the Hot 100), can be "doing shitty."

Songs with well-defined choruses:

Burning in the Skies

When They Come For Me

Wretches and Kings

Iridescent

The Catalyst

The Messenger

Songs where Mike sings more than Chester:

...The Requiem and Fallout? That's seriously all I can think of. There are plenty of songs where Mike and Chester sing together or trade parts back and forth, but none where you can really say Mike sings more than Chester does.

I think he may have been talking in terms of the US. It's doing well around the world, but from what I gather it hasn't even been certified Gold in the US. So in terms of US sales, the album isn't doing as well as the past records.

On the thread's topic, Iridescent can be considered a shoe-in for the third single. The fourth single will most likely be Burning In The Skies. The fifth single is up in the air at this point. It could be When They Come For Me or maybe even Robot Boy, but I wouldn't be surprised if there will even be a fifth single.

Edited by FORTsunrise

Plenty of successful singles have had cussing edited out.

The wordless chorus of When They Come For Me is also pretty catchy since people don't even have to remember words, just the melody, and they can sing along.

I don't think WTCFM is going to be a single, but it could definitely be very successful if they decide to release it as one. Especially because the band releasing it is Linkin Park and "brand recognition" to an extent can help lesser singles become more popular.

You should change "nobody likes" to "I don't like" because your generalizing makes you sound like you should be posting on LP.com.