B-sides in Meeting of A Thousand Suns

Xero21

Maybe it was the quality of the version on Hulu that kept me from noticing before, but having just got my CD/DVD today (had to be shipped from my house to my dorm), I hear some extra music in the documentary. I thought I'd make a thread about when in the DVD it plays, if for no reason other than just having it in writing (or typing).

1. 5:20 - 5:30: Chester screaming vocals and Rob drumming.

2. 5:30 - 5:40: Mike on harmonica and I believe Phoenix on piano.

These two just seem very unstructured and more experimentation/random jamming than actual demos or b-sides, but you never know.

3. 9:25 - 9:36: What sounds like Brad (I assume) playing an acoustic melody. It's playing under Chester speaking. This is one of my favorite "other" pieces of music from the DVD.

4. 15:21 - 15:25: Mid-tempo electronic beat. Brad seems kind of "eh" about it. Also, Mike says "let's listen to the 5 and see what we think," meaning this song must have been a fairly new idea at this point.

5. 15:34 - 15:39: Slowish Mike "donna" melody. One of a "group of five," the groups of songs that LP focused in on and apparently more or less finished. Pretty audible bass.

6. 15:52 - 15:56: Ambient beat. Another one of a group of five, meaning this one should supposedly be finished or close to it. Definitely another favorite of mine (from what tiny bit there is).

7. 22:57 - 23:04: Heavy-as-fuck electro beat. This is from a demo Mike was making in the event that Warner was going to tell them that none of their music was right for a first single (like MTM and What I've Done). I'm assuming since they settled on The Catalyst that this was never finished.

8. 26:25 - 28:31: Ambient piano track. One very interesting thing to note is that at the 26:43 mark, if you listen very closely because this song is playing very subtly, you can hear Mike start to sing,-and then it quickly stops as if the song is on a loop (which I'd imagine it is since it plays in the background for over 2 minutes).

That's it for the unheard music I hear in MOATS. If you guys see anything you think should be changed, say so.

EDIT: I figured since I'm posting about the demos we hear in the documentary, I might as well type up a list of the ones we see on the board.

Left Right, Meadowlands (Waiting For The End), Primo, Sakura, Tinfoil, Mikespiano, Robot Boy, Underbite, and Rygar were the ones I could read.

Edited by Xero21

• 2 weeks later...

How do you actually know what was in what groups of 5,etc and the song that Mike was planning in the event of an emergency single.

The doc doesn't really give any of that away I thought.

After re-watching, after Mike says "let's listen to the five," six different songs play XD so I guess we don't know for sure.

The emergency single one was for sure though. They're discussing it before he plays it.

• 12 years later...
On 9/21/2010 at 9:08 PM, Xero21 said:

Maybe it was the quality of the version on Hulu that kept me from noticing before, but having just got my CD/DVD today (had to be shipped from my house to my dorm), I hear some extra music in the documentary. I thought I'd make a thread about when in the DVD it plays, if for no reason other than just having it in writing (or typing).

1. 5:20 - 5:30: Chester screaming vocals and Rob drumming.

2. 5:30 - 5:40: Mike on harmonica and I believe Phoenix on piano.

These two just seem very unstructured and more experimentation/random jamming than actual demos or b-sides, but you never know.

3. 9:25 - 9:36: What sounds like Brad (I assume) playing an acoustic melody. It's playing under Chester speaking. This is one of my favorite "other" pieces of music from the DVD.

4. 15:21 - 15:25: Mid-tempo electronic beat. Brad seems kind of "eh" about it. Also, Mike says "let's listen to the 5 and see what we think," meaning this song must have been a fairly new idea at this point.

5. 15:34 - 15:39: Slowish Mike "donna" melody. One of a "group of five," the groups of songs that LP focused in on and apparently more or less finished. Pretty audible bass.

6. 15:52 - 15:56: Ambient beat. Another one of a group of five, meaning this one should supposedly be finished or close to it. Definitely another favorite of mine (from what tiny bit there is).

7. 22:57 - 23:04: Heavy-as-fuck electro beat. This is from a demo Mike was making in the event that Warner was going to tell them that none of their music was right for a first single (like MTM and What I've Done). I'm assuming since they settled on The Catalyst that this was never finished.

8. 26:25 - 28:31: Ambient piano track. One very interesting thing to note is that at the 26:43 mark, if you listen very closely because this song is playing very subtly, you can hear Mike start to sing,-and then it quickly stops as if the song is on a loop (which I'd imagine it is since it plays in the background for over 2 minutes).

That's it for the unheard music I hear in MOATS. If you guys see anything you think should be changed, say so.

EDIT: I figured since I'm posting about the demos we hear in the documentary, I might as well type up a list of the ones we see on the board.

Left Right, Meadowlands (Waiting For The End), Primo, Sakura, Tinfoil, Mikespiano, Robot Boy, Underbite, and Rygar were the ones I could read.

I know this topic is 12, almost 13 years old at this point, but I had to point out what some of these songs are:

1. 5:20 - 5:30 is "Left Right".

2. ? (I don't know what this is).

3. ? (I also don't know what this is either).

4. 9:25 - 9:36 is "Debris" (that was also worked on during the 'Minutes to Midnight' sessions, and is a demo that comes from those same album era sessions).

5. ? (It sounds familiar, though, I can't put my finger on what it actually is).

6. ? (This one also sounds very familiar, though, again, I can't put my finger on what it actually is).

Edit: I think it's "Robot Boy". It sounds similar to a part in the original song, though, I can't remember what part of the song it is in the song.

7. ? (I also don't know what this is either).

8. ? (I also don't know what this is either).

Here are what the "five" songs actually are (of what I know):

1. 15:28 - 15:35 is "Burning in the Skies" (working title unknown).

2. Unsure what the song is from 15:35 - 15:40, but it sounds familiar, though, I can't put my finger on what it actually is.

15:41 - 15:44 is "When They Come for Me" (Dingleberry), though, I don't think that's a part of the "five".

3. 15:44 - 15:49 is "Wretches and Kings" (Rygar).

4. 15:50 - 15:53 is "Blackout" (Pacmanny).

5. Unsure what the song is from 15:53 - 15:57, but it also sounds familiar, though, again, I can't put my finger on what it actually is.

Edit: I think it's "Robot Boy". It sounds similar to a part in the original song, though, I can't remember what part of the song it is in the song.

I'm thinking that the top 5 on the song board that are underlined with orange marker (Pacmanny, Rygar, Underbite, Robot Boy, and Mikespiano) are the "five" that Mike was talking about, but that's what I was only thinking. I could be wrong.

Edited by NJPLP