ATS First Week Sales Projection

thesungoesdown

According to hits daily double. The album is projected to sell about 250,000 records based on first day sales.

Next week’s chart will feature a two-horse race with Warner Bros. rap-rock Linkin Park’s much-praised, Rick Rubin-produced A Thousand Suns, in the early lead, sporting a projected total of 250-260k. That is none too shabby, though it’s sobering to realize that just three short years ago, Minutes to Midnight moved a total of 623k its first week of release in May ’07

Right behind the Linkin Park guys is Atlantic R&B tout Trey Songz with Passion, Pain and Pleasure, his fourth album, on target for 220-230k, a substantial increase over his 2009 release, Ready, which moved 131k on its way to a total of 785k.

So it's Linkin Park VS Trey Songz (250-260k to 220-230 k respectively). Sad day lol..

Source: http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news08224

Edited by thesungoesdown

I think international sales will still be big. What Linkin Park needs is a huge radio hit to boost sales in the US. A Numb, Faint, In the end, etc. Sure LP fans will shoot their singles on top of rock charts, but on the hot 100 charts The Catalyst is sitting at 76 I believe. Iridescent, and When They Come For me won't do it, but Waiting in The End has the most potential.

As i expected, MTM sold well after WID was released, WID ft in Transformers and enjoyed enormous success chart-wise. Catalyst has come and gone unnoticed. Also although ATS outshines MTM as a package and experience, MTM had bigger songs and that's what makes records sell. It seems LP are going down down sales wise which is a good thing music wise since they might actually leave WB and start making music on their own terms.

I like it when LP sell well since... well i donno really. I guess we like to see them do well because we love them but sales mean nothing and if a decrease in sales make them make better music i'm all for it. Besides in the music business the whole "to be the on top you must be the best" does not count, you must simply make the most popular generic music out there. And i'm glad LP does not do that.

edit* also looking at reviews some are so short you could swear they are reviewing a indie album not charting, it seems obvious that ATS came almost unnoticed, i guess it is because catalyst never really charted well but it's almost as if no one expected the album apart from the fans. ATS might turn out to be a sleeper hit. I do doubt that however. LP will lose fans because of the changes and we will just have to wait and see how many join.

Edited by GraDoN

^How you can say an album is going unnoticed when their selling 250,000 opening week. Katy Perry has the #1 song in America and her album only sold 100+ the first week.

Minutes to Midnight had a huge opening because it was the follow-up album to Meteora which was super popular by ALL LP fans. A Thousand Suns album sales are down because m2m turned a lot of fans off AND The Catalyst wasn't a smash single to restore faith in a lot of people. The music buisness decline is a good excuse for smaller acts, but not for established artists and bands. Eminem sold 600+ thousand opening week with his Relapse album which a lot of his fans hated, but then followed it up with Recovery which opened to 700+ thousand sales in the first week because he restored faith in his fan base. Also, it helps that Love the way you lie was a radio hit and boosted sales as well.

Also, LP is very very conscious of their sales. Chester questioned if his Dead by Sunrise album was good at all on his twitter because album sales were so low. he blatantly said seeing how album sales are low the album must not be good. Mike's constantly advertising all the kinds of things you can get if you order the skatedeck, deluxe edition, saying meeting of a thousand suns is the BEST documentary yet when in reality it was the worst, etc etc. This is their career and what brings in the $ to provide for their family. I applaud them for experimenting, but at this point their biting the hands that feeds them and they'll notice it with this record. I BET the next album has more elements from Hybrid Theory/Meteora. If it doesn't then the band truly is dedicated to JUST making good music that they like. If the heavy guitars and some screaming comes back, then it's obvious that they do care about album sales.

Personally, im a fan of the new direction. i think ATS needed more songs and less interludes, but overall im satisfied and bought the record yesterday, but i know A LOT of people are turned off with the band at this point in time. I think the next album is make or break for them for being commercial heavyweights.

Edited by thesungoesdown

The Catalyst not a success? It's been number one on the billboard rock charts for awhile now, while some of their older ones never peaked that high.

In it's 5th week it's at #75 of the top 100.

Lets just take a look at songs above The Catalyst that have been on the charts LONGER then 5 weeks.

Lover,Lover by Jerrod Nieman

All Over Me by John Turner

Impossible by Chantelle

Pretty Good at Drinking Beer by Billy Currington

I mean seriously? lol All those songs have been on the charts for over 5 weeks and are ahead of the Catalyst. Forget about the rock charts, mainstream bands always dominate that because of their fanbase. The hot 100 is another beast because it goes against all genres and the Catalyst is doing miserably.

^If I had to guess sales will be around 800-1.2 million when all said and done. Sales will probably go 250 k first week, 90-110 k second week, 40-60 week after, and so on. We just have to see if this album has staying power and if another single can boost sales. The album is going to sell millions if you count worldwide totals though...

until december they could reach 1,5kk worldwide

is sad haters laughing about this, but they ignores which they loves katy perry, her debut was the real fail, 2 hit singles in #1 around the world, and only 190k sold in 1st week

if this album flops, they will make an another album soon

i'm pretty sure waiting for the end will shoot the record through the roof when it's released officially. i really hope this album doesn't flop though, whether it means better or worse music.

edit: i kinda feel like the estimate is low; even though the catalyst wasn't a huge hit, they still have their gigantic fanbase, which will definitely pull them higher than 250-260k.

Edited by parth196

seems like a fairly low-ball projection for first week... will know in the next 50 or so hours for sure - but i'm guessing ATS is going to open with either gold or platinum sales in australia for its first week (35,000 is gold - 70,000 is platinum).

i don't know how it works with the music industry - but with film, australia's figures are always roughly 10% of those reached in the states... if the album does indeed debut here with a minimum of gold sales - then surely that figure of 250-260k is a little bit underestimated?

of course... i could be way off the mark too ;)

Edited by Narc85

^How you can say an album is going unnoticed when their selling 250,000 opening week. Katy Perry has the #1 song in America and her album only sold 100+ the first week.

Minutes to Midnight had a huge opening because it was the follow-up album to Meteora which was super popular by ALL LP fans. A Thousand Suns album sales are down because m2m turned a lot of fans off AND The Catalyst wasn't a smash single to restore faith in a lot of people. The music buisness decline is a good excuse for smaller acts, but not for established artists and bands. Eminem sold 600+ thousand opening week with his Relapse album which a lot of his fans hated, but then followed it up with Recovery which opened to 700+ thousand sales in the first week because he restored faith in his fan base. Also, it helps that Love the way you lie was a radio hit and boosted sales as well.

Also, LP is very very conscious of their sales. Chester questioned if his Dead by Sunrise album was good at all on his twitter because album sales were so low. he blatantly said seeing how album sales are low the album must not be good. Mike's constantly advertising all the kinds of things you can get if you order the skatedeck, deluxe edition, saying meeting of a thousand suns is the BEST documentary yet when in reality it was the worst, etc etc. This is their career and what brings in the $ to provide for their family. I applaud them for experimenting, but at this point their biting the hands that feeds them and they'll notice it with this record. I BET the next album has more elements from Hybrid Theory/Meteora. If it doesn't then the band truly is dedicated to JUST making good music that they like. If the heavy guitars and some screaming comes back, then it's obvious that they do care about album sales.

Personally, im a fan of the new direction. i think ATS needed more songs and less interludes, but overall im satisfied and bought the record yesterday, but i know A LOT of people are turned off with the band at this point in time. I think the next album is make or break for them for being commercial heavyweights.

I agree with everything you said, except that the next album will be meteora/hybrid theory elements. Honestly, even if this qalbum doesn't sell well i still think they won't go back to their old sound. They really like this new sound.