Disappointed in Road to Revolution?

1stp Klosr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the DVD. It's brilliantly recorded and shot. The setlist is not the best but the shots (Brad FTI intro is epic) are.

Also, does anyone notice when Brad starts the riff to Jigga What/Faint, Mike does not have his guitar. I thought this was pretty interesting. There's a fade shot of Brad doing his dance and you can see Mike just walking around clearly without his guitar at that time. Just an interesting observation.

Anybody else noticed that in the second chorus of Lying From You, there is a shot of Dave were you can see Chester is not singing but you can hear him singing. It can be seen pretty clearly. Pretty bad editing.

And Astat. I do not doubt your words at all, but I tried watching all the songs with the DSP's opened in the background so that I could choose between the DSP's sound and the DVD's sound or hear both at the same time. There was absoslutely no difference in Chester's pitch. Unless you have some program to proof it or something, I must say, they did nothing his voice at all.

And if they did, it dosn't make it sound better, sounds excactly as good/bad.

I just checked the mentioned thing on LFY and you are right. The scene seems to be in the wrong spot. That seems to be a quite common issue video editing. I noticed such a scene mistake also on Webster Hall as well as on 4music presents. You hardly realize it if you don't know it's there, so did the editors probably.

I love the DVD. It's brilliantly recorded and shot. The setlist is not the best but the shots (Brad FTI intro is epic) are.

Also, does anyone notice when Brad starts the riff to Jigga What/Faint, Mike does not have his guitar. I thought this was pretty interesting. There's a fade shot of Brad doing his dance and you can see Mike just walking around clearly without his guitar at that time. Just an interesting observation.

You're right. Obviously Mike was not fast enough. He didn't play the first half of the riff, but that was edited in the DVD.

Proof:

You can clearly hear his guitar coming on at 3:37. Adding some distortion.

Watched the full thing today.

Eh.

Camera work is alright. I got really bored on LOATR/Numb/BTH/etc. Chester is really off on BTH at this show in my opinion. It's decent I guess but nothing really special. Favorite moment I guess is the hands up on the LFY intro.

I like Three Days Grace's Live At The Palace DVD a little better. Live In Texas...hmm. Pretty good, I have to say. RTR is a very unique DVD, but it's just not one that wins me over entirely. Jay-Z looks and sounds terrible...the set is a tad boring, but whatever.

The Crawling intro is EPIC.

And Astat. I do not doubt your words at all, but I tried watching all the songs with the DSP's opened in the background so that I could choose between the DSP's sound and the DVD's sound or hear both at the same time. There was absoslutely no difference in Chester's pitch. Unless you have some program to proof it or something, I must say, they did nothing his voice at all.

Alright, you asked for it, here's my list of every instance of editing that I've found so far. These were all done by opening up the DSP version of the song and the CD version of the song both in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and panning one to the left and one to the right. In any spot where something is edited, it's instantly noticable because the two speakers don't match up:

One Step Closer:

-No apparent editing

From the Inside:

-First verse: "No surprise" / "And the lies" = Pitch-corrected vocals

-First and second choruses = Various pitch-corrected vocal parts

-Second verse: "Get back up on my feet, all I ever..." = Overdubbed vocals (Mike messes up on original)

Somewhere I Belong:

-Pitch-corrected vocals in second chorus/bridge/third chorus

No More Sorrow:

-Mike's out-of-tune guitar during intro (1:15-1:26 on DSP) is overdubbed

-Various pitch-corrected vocals throughout the song

Papercut:

-Pitch-corrected vocals at end of second chorus ("beneath my skin")

-Pitch-corrected vocals during bridge/outro

Points of Authority:

-Some weird out-of tune noise (guitar perhaps?) is removed during the outro (3:35 on DSP)

Wake:

-No apparent editing

Given Up:

-No apparent editing

Lying From You:

-Various pitch-corrected vocals throughout the song

Hands Held High:

-No apparent editing

Leave Out All the Rest:

-Pitch-corrected vocals during outro

Numb:

-Pitch-corrected vocals during bridge

The Little Things Give You Away:

-Minor pitch correction on a couple notes during guitar solo

-Pitch correction on all 3 vocal parts at various points during outro (Chester, Mike, and Phoenix)

Also, I know that Mike came in late on the entrance to his guitar part on Jigga What/Faint (as was kind of mentioned with the camera shot showing him without his guitar), and it was dubbed back in on RTR. Going by the DSP, he's supposed to come in at 1:12, but he doesn't come in until 1:19. It's completely fixed on the CD/DVD.

Edited by Astat

im a bit dissapointed too...but i think its just because i went to a concert just the day before and I'm:

• sad that it wasnt that concert they taped
  • i know the performance
  • i never went to a concert in 2004 so i love LIT
  • i went to 3 concerts since 07 so i heard almost every song millionths of times
  • they released the SBD of this show way earlier than the dvd
  • how LIT was shot is just awesome

BUT: they are way more positive things...such as Dave...lol soo funney..at numb..that poser wif the pick, or at in the end doin the steps mike does in the vid and etc..

what i miss are BACKSTAGE footage..but im sure its sumwhere hidden..it must be

shadow of the day just killed my DVD player, my tv and my ears....as in cologne...BUT in duesseldorf it was the first time it sounded gud...

Edited by AndOne
no double posting, use edit

Disagree. Chester sings EVERYTHING better in 2007. Especially look at Auburn audio.

Chester was absolutely fucking TERRIBLE at Shadow of the Day, Leave Out All the Rest, and In Pieces when they started playing them in 2007. He got better at the first 2 as time went on though.

And will you please quit talking about Auburn like it's the greatest fucking thing ever every chance you get? You've bitched about it on Pooch's blog a million times, you've posted about it on here a million times, you talk about that one show as if it's the only good performance the band has ever done. It's not nearly as great of a show as you think it is. It's poorly mixed (as all the PR07 shows are), and it's a mediocre (at best) performance by the band.

Edited by Astat

PR 07 shows are so much better mixed than PR 08. Some shows (Tampa, etc) are hardly audible in my truck at higher volume compared to some other shows. Most of the time you can't even hear Mike's guitar.

I think RtR CD is not very good. Took a listen for the first time and reminds me of LPU7 CD. They cut out the talking and the beginning of Given Up with the fade of Wake is awful. However, NMS sounds very good as does Jigga What/Faint. Also, FTI on DVD and CD is best FTI I have heard for a quite some time.

Chester was absolutely fucking TERRIBLE at Shadow of the Day, Leave Out All the Rest, and In Pieces when they started playing them in 2007. He got better at the first 2 as time went on though.

Terrible? Yeah, yeah, OK, I'm not going to debate about it, but for me 2008 performances of the songs are terrible, but not 2007.

And will you please quit talking about Auburn like it's the greatest fucking thing ever every chance you get?

For me it's really one of the best shows, which LP did at MTM tour... (Especially I love Chester energy at the show). I'm not saying that it's the best show... I think best shows was at Meteora touring (especially 2004)

It's poorly mixed (as all the PR07 shows are), and it's a mediocre (at best) performance by the band.

"Poorly mixed"... OH YEAH... 2008 are "mixed better" :lol: :lol: :lol: It's funny... I've never heard worse mixes than LP's 2008 (excluding KROQ mixes) ...

Whatever... Please do not answer this my post... Ignore it... This is ONLY MY opinion, and I'm not going to change it. THE END.

Edited by And One LTU

I just saw it last night and in my opinion it was an EPIC choice for a DVD!! It might not have been their best performance of the time but it was their biggest and most advertised Projekt Rev. show ever and the filming is increfible!! Just posting what I thought. Also I love how after they finish Jigga What / Fant, Phoenix goes out of his way to give Jay-Z a hug, that was hilarious and he looked so happy about it afterwards!!!

Edited by LPPRJKT4

And will you please quit talking about Auburn like it's the greatest fucking thing ever every chance you get? You've bitched about it on Pooch's blog a million times, you've posted about it on here a million times, you talk about that one show as if it's the only good performance the band has ever done. It's not nearly as great of a show as you think it is. It's poorly mixed (as all the PR07 shows are), and it's a mediocre (at best) performance by the band.

Auburn is a great show. Probably one of my favorites from the MTM touring cycle actually. At least you can play it in your car and hear the fucking guitar, half the other SBD's you can't. And the band actually had ENERGY that night, unlike all of the shows in 2008 IMO. Basically, Auburn kicks ass and we aren't the only two who think so.

Edited by Geki

Auburn is a great show. Probably one of my favorites from the MTM touring cycle actually. At least you can play it in your car and hear the fucking guitar, half the other SBD's you can't. And the band actually had ENERGY that night, unlike all of the shows in 2008 IMO. Basically, Auburn kicks ass and we aren't the only two who think so.

The band, outside of Chester, hasn't had "energy" for the entire MTM cycle if you ask me. That's something I've come to accept, that their energy is only going to decrease with time. I can hear the guitar just fine on the '08 SBDs except for Maryland Heights '08 where Mike's guitar is completely missing. Again, with Chester as the exception, I think the band's performances were pretty consistent throughout the touring cycle. What the SBDs come down to for me are 1) how good Chester sounded on that particular night, and 2) how well the show was mixed. I've already said how I think Chester sounded really poor for almost the entire cycle and the only time he was consistently good was the first few European shows in January of '08.

And I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Pooch that his SBD mixes have been getting better and better ever since he started doing them. The PR07 shows sound like crap to me because Pooch felt the need to crank up the crowd at certain points instead of just letting the crowd noise sound natural on its own. Not only does it sound completely artificial when he does it, but since he's cranking up the audience mics in the mix to do so, it makes the music sound like shit because all of a sudden the venue's natural ambience starts fucking with the way everything sounds. Essentially on the PR07 mixes, whenever Pooch cranks up the crowd noise, the recording literally goes from sounding like a SBD to an audience recording, and back again. Go to 2:06 of One Step Closer from Auburn and you'll hear exactly what I mean, that sounds so incredibly fake.

And just listening to Auburn right now, I can tell you 2 things: Chester sounds like SHIT, and there is no fucking bass whatsoever on that mix. About all you can hear is the vocals, guitar, snare drum, and cymbals, and the crowd...when Pooch decides to crank it up.

The band, outside of Chester, hasn't had "energy" for the entire MTM cycle if you ask me. That's something I've come to accept, that their energy is only going to decrease with time. I can hear the guitar just fine on the '08 SBDs except for Maryland Heights '08 where Mike's guitar is completely missing. Again, with Chester as the exception, I think the band's performances were pretty consistent throughout the touring cycle. What the SBDs come down to for me are 1) how good Chester sounded on that particular night, and 2) how well the show was mixed. I've already said how I think Chester sounded really poor for almost the entire cycle and the only time he was consistently good was the first few European shows in January of '08.

And I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Pooch that his SBD mixes have been getting better and better ever since he started doing them. The PR07 shows sound like crap to me because Pooch felt the need to crank up the crowd at certain points instead of just letting the crowd noise sound natural on its own. Not only does it sound completely artificial when he does it, but since he's cranking up the audience mics in the mix to do so, it makes the music sound like shit because all of a sudden the venue's natural ambience starts fucking with the way everything sounds. Essentially on the PR07 mixes, whenever Pooch cranks up the crowd noise, the recording literally goes from sounding like a SBD to an audience recording, and back again. Go to 2:06 of One Step Closer from Auburn and you'll hear exactly what I mean, that sounds so incredibly fake.

And just listening to Auburn right now, I can tell you 2 things: Chester sounds like SHIT, and there is no fucking bass whatsoever on that mix. About all you can hear is the vocals, guitar, snare drum, and cymbals, and the crowd...when Pooch decides to crank it up.

You may think he sounds like shit, but I like his voice from Auburn. The only shows that I like from 2008 are

Baltimore, MD

Las Vegas Night 2

Hannover, Germany

Basel, Switzerland

Edgefest, Mansfield, Hartford, Manchester NH because I was at all of them

Woodlands

While I may not be the most technically (or musically) advance person on here, I don't know who in the world can say the 08 recordings are better than 07. Auburn is a great show - not the best - but it is very, very good to be Pooch's first SBD with the band. Faint sounds awful in just about every PR 08 recording. Either bass is too loud but you can't hear Mike or you can hardly hear Brad's guitar to where the riff just sounds like a garbage distortion riff. Also, after more than a few listens on RtR, that has got to be on of the worst professionally-mixed CD's I have ever heard. The bass on the tracks are WAY TOO LOUD and while I agree bass needs to be cranked up in some songs, it just overpowers some of the songs where I was like "WTF?"

Pooch is great at mixing sounds in the venue, but I want to know what techinques he is doing differently compared to PR 07 for the SBD's which I think is his best work as far as LP's SBD's go.

As far as energy goes, I agree with Astat. The energy has just NOT been there from the band outside of Chester. Watch any performance up to 2004 (especially during Meteora touring cycle) or hell, just pop in LIT compared to RtR and you will see a completely different band. Chester really impressed me in Atlanta 07 when he completely blew everyone else out of the water with his aggression, and stage presence. Mike gets into it in a different way - while he used to be all about his moves on rapping, he seems to want to be rock's keyboardist now. Brad and Joe used to be insane and now they hardly move. The band's change in direction with Minutes to Midnight did not just affect their music; it changed their style as well. Brad used to go insane on OSC; now he would rather turn his guitar and watch himself on the screens on Shadow of the Day. I have also just accepted that but I think its their stage presence is going to take an even bigger hit their next touring cycle because of Chester's back situation.

Disagree on several points. Leave Out All The Rest in 2007 when they first started playing it on that big European Tour was excellent. Example, LOATR in Hamburg in May 2007:

Chester sounds 10x better on that than he does in 2008 on the song. Overall, in fact the entire song is mixed better if you ask me. LOATR on PR08 would be the most boring song of the entire set if you asked me. Sure, Chester might sound a tad hoarse on Hamburg, but it shows he's giving it "a lot" and is quite into the song.

In Pieces, yeah, IP blew at first. I do give you that. The first two shows it was played at was an absolute mess as far as Chester's voice goes, but by the time they hit Atlanta I saw no problem with it and they pulled it off flawlessly. Noone's perfect at first. Shadow Of The Day? I'm probably one of the only ones here on this, but I think the Auburn 07 performance is one of the best ones ever. As the tour went on, Chester added that "Yes it will" and "Oh yeah" and stuff that he said softly after the choruses, which made the song more interesting. The 2008 version is good, but in 2007 I think he performed it better vocally.

Auburn is not mixed poorly. It's definitely my favorite mix of all. If so many people love it, it's obviously not a bad mix, lmao.

Europe and PR07 had energy. I wasn't in Australia or Asia, so I can't speak for them, but they had much more energy on the 2 tours I mentioned than from what I've seen of the 2008 shows. Obviously it's not the same energy as they used to have because like Mike has changed roles in the band, going from a rapper to like playing guitar and keys all the time now. Phoenix gets into it pretty well still if you ask me, but the rest of them, eh. Joe and Brad, LOL, what a mess.

The 08 SBDs have the guitar mixed not nearly as well as 2007 if you ask me. In Auburn, it was all perfect. I honestly don't see how you can compare Auburn to a PR08 SBD.

Disagree again. Chester sounds fine to me...way better than RTR / MK. Everything else is mixed so flawlessly. It's like the crowd is not only in your face, but you have this perfect combination of the other elements of the band that just mix together seamlessly. I like how it's one of the recordings you can really hear the crowd banging on the seats at between the songs. The individual instruments stand out pretty well versus 2008 where it's just all bland sounding mix.

Mediocre show? I mean LP was fucking ON that night. First show of your main USA tour since you release MTM, and you're hyped as hell. They are obviously feeding off the crowd really well. That place is going absolutely nuts between songs, smashing the seats with their fists, etc...LP is all over it. They extend Bleed It Out like a fucking anthem and the crowd participation is excellent. The outro, I mean I don't understand how you can say they've done a better outro than at Auburn. That's just pure slow -> fast jamming, having a lot of fun, etc. For TLTGYA being the worst song ever to start an encore, I really like it from Auburn. Mike's keyboard sound is ridiculous...I'm a really big fan of that deep, low sound of the keyboard intro to TLTGYA. Once it changed to the higher pitched piano sound in 2008, it got REALLY boring in my opinion.

Overall, the show was quite impressive for me. It's definitely my favorite Set C show that they've done. I absolutely prefer the Auburn sound to the 2008 shows.