Disappointed in Road to Revolution?

1stp Klosr

Sweet, I went to the Auburn show!!!! Better than the portland show of 04 that I saw.

You are lucky. I think Auburn '07 was best show of entire MTM cycle.

I can count only few shows, where Chester sang very well:

Webster Hall 2007

Entire European Tour 2007

First part of Projekt Revolution 2007

After that Chester started singing very weak... Especially it feels during No More Sorrow and One Step Closer choruses...

Edited by And One LTU

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I was so upset that mtm took 4 years to come out. We didn't get to hear chester all that much in his singing prime.

well on the up side, imo, mike sounds a lot better than he did 9 years ago. So although chester got worse, mike got better. Makes no sense that chester sings more on mtm :P

you guys are unbelievable. Chester has an AMAZING voice. and you guyz are saying his voice has gotten worse? WOW. he is by far the best singer out there in any type of band.. and he sounded great on Road To Revolution. just love his singing voice how he can sing and scream in so many great qualities.

Edited by Dennis_18

you guys are unbelievable. Chester has an AMAZING voice. and you guyz are saying his voice has gotten worse? WOW. he is by far the best singer out there in any type of band.. and he sounded great on Road To Revolution. just love his singing voice how he can sing and scream in so many great qualities.

Chester hasn't really been "good" for most of his career. He was really unpredictable vocally in 2000-2001, sometimes he sounded good but sometimes he downright sucked (Crawling from Pittsburgh '01 for example - his voice cracks like he's 13). He was pretty good in 2002, then kind of rough again for the first part of 2003. Late 2003-pretty much all of 2004 was when he was at his best for the longest period of time. He was really bad at Live 8 in 2005, but really good at the Japan shows in 2006. As for the MTM cycle, the only time he sounded even DECENT was parts of Projekt Revolution 2007 and the first few Europe shows in January of '08. The entire rest of the cycle, he's been absolutely terrible in my opinion.

Yes, Chester's an amazing singer, IN THE STUDIO. Live, he's usually not that great. And you do realize that they edited the HELL out of his vocals on Road to Revolution, right? That's the only reason he sounds good (he still doesn't sound that good to me even with all the editing). His screaming voice is shot all to hell, and all the raspiness that makes his aggressive singing sound good is pretty much gone. He IS getting worse, it's crazy to think that he isn't.

Edited by Astat

well, he alwayz sounds great to me. you guys are just to critical. and he sounded terrible in Live 8? WOW. to me that waz the best "breaking the habit" they have ever done..he sanged/screamed great in that version. cant believe you said he's always sounds bad. shit, like to hear you sing.

well, he alwayz sounds great to me. you guys are just to critical. and he sounded terrible in Live 8? WOW. to me that waz the best "breaking the habit" they have ever done..he sanged/screamed great in that version. cant believe you said he's always sounds bad.

Being out-of-tune is a scientific matter of sound waves and such, not a matter of me being "too critical." Chester's vocal parts are routinely not being sung at the pitch that they're supposed to be. If that wasn't true, they wouldn't have had to auto-tune him on nearly every song on Road to Revolution.

Yes, Breaking the Habit at Live 8 was actually pretty good. But I can't even LISTEN to most of the rest of that show because Chester is so unbearably flat. He's literally almost half a step flat on the chorus of Lying From You.

shit, like to hear you sing.

I'm a professionally-trained vocalist who's been singing a variety of styles of music for about 13 years, thanks. I don't have the power that Chester does, I can't scream the way he does, and I'd probably lose my voice faster than he does if I tried to sing through an entire Linkin Park performance, but the bottom line is that Chester's pitch control is terrible, his voice sounds a lot weaker than it did a few years ago, and it's pretty damn easy to notice. He's routinely between a quarter and half step flat on a lot of his vocal parts, and it's become more and more frequent within the past couple years.

My honest opinion? Chester's probably developing nodes on his vocal chords. I've seen numerous cases of it happening to other rock vocalists, and their symptoms were pretty much the same as Chester's: Loss of vocal power and pitch control. I certainly hope that's what it is, becaue vocal chord nodes are a fixable medical condition, and Chester could concievably get back to the form he had in 2004. If he's just flat-out losing his voice, though, it may only continue to get worse.

My honest opinion? Chester's probably developing nodes on his vocal chords. I've seen numerous cases of it happening to other rock vocalists, and their symptoms were pretty much the same as Chester's: Loss of vocal power and pitch control. I certainly hope that's what it is, becaue vocal chord nodes are a fixable medical condition, and Chester could concievably get back to the form he had in 2004. If he's just flat-out losing his voice, though, it may only continue to get worse.

that surgery is risky though, he could lose a ton of his range. it happened with robert plant.

Chester is gonna be just like Chris Cornell. Hes just gonna decline until he can't do it at all. Chris Cornell is amazing but look at him 10 years ago. Lot better right? Linkin Park is going to be one of those bands that are around forever but its just gonna get worse on Chester's note.

Edited by LinkinMinor555

Being out-of-tune is a scientific matter of sound waves and such, not a matter of me being "too critical." Chester's vocal parts are routinely not being sung at the pitch that they're supposed to be. If that wasn't true, they wouldn't have had to auto-tune him on nearly every song on Road to Revolution.

Yes, Breaking the Habit at Live 8 was actually pretty good. But I can't even LISTEN to most of the rest of that show because Chester is so unbearably flat. He's literally almost half a step flat on the chorus of Lying From You.

I'm a professionally-trained vocalist who's been singing a variety of styles of music for about 13 years, thanks. I don't have the power that Chester does, I can't scream the way he does, and I'd probably lose my voice faster than he does if I tried to sing through an entire Linkin Park performance, but the bottom line is that Chester's pitch control is terrible, his voice sounds a lot weaker than it did a few years ago, and it's pretty damn easy to notice. He's routinely between a quarter and half step flat on a lot of his vocal parts, and it's become more and more frequent within the past couple years.

yeah i expected you being an singer, and im sry if i affended you.. but every time i hear Chester sing, i hear greatness.. never dissapoints me.. but maybe since you sing, you see badness in his voice i guess.. but last year, 'Faint' from LPU 7? WOW. he is AMAZING in that live version. "I WONT BE IGNORED!!" every time i hear him scream in that Outro i just wanna fuckin haeadbang and go fuckin nuts.. but i understand where your getting at, he's getting older and ENVENTULALLY he's gonna lose his screaming touch.. but as for him singing? he's still an amazing vocalist and will be one of the great Rock vocalists of all time, and i believe he'll continue to have a great singing voice for the rest of his career..

but yeah im sry if i insulted you in anyway of you being a singer, im sry.

that surgery is risky though, he could lose a ton of his range. it happened with robert plant.

Robert Plant was actually already starting to lose some of his range as early as like 1977, Led Zeppelin was already tuning down on some songs at that point to make it easier for him. You can actually fix vocal nodes without surgery too, you just literally have to go for months without talking at all and your vocal chords will slowly heal themselves. Another possibility is something called "adult puberty," it doesn't happen to every guy but some of them go through a period where their voice changes pretty significantly in their mid-late 20s/early 30s. Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria's voice dropped a ton in a span of just a few months between their 2nd and 3rd albums because of it.

The main thing though, is everybody's voice changes throughout their entire life. Chester's not the same vocalist he was 10, 5, or even 2 years ago. That's pretty normal and I'm not going to knock him for that, I can accept the way his tone has changed. But the way he sounds right now makes me think there's something actually wrong with his voice, because he sounds so strained. If he's having trouble hitting his high notes, I don't understand why LP doesn't tune down half a step or something. They didn't have a problem doing it for Paul McCartney on Numb/Encore/Yesterday, so they should be able to do it for Chester. Chester's probably stubborn about it though.

I've also seen some singers come back from having vocal problems. Paul Stanley from KISS had almost destroyed his voice from vocal nodes in the early 90s, but he managed to come back and sound about the best he's ever sounded from like 94-98, and he did so without surgery (he was also a lot older then than Chester is now). I'm sure Chester can sound better if he takes care of his voice the way he should.

Edited by Astat

So here is the point :

- Chester lost a part of his voice

- BUT he's still one of the greatest rock singer, and I hope in 30 years, people will consider him as a rock legend.

amen brother, amen. hell yeah he'll be one of the greatest singers of all time.. LP will continue to make great albums for many years to come.. and he'll learn to sing in a different awesome 'Chazy Chaz' style..haha

I am the friggin' idiot who started the "Disappointed in Road to Revolution?, Am I The Only One?" thread. And I have a confession to make...

It turns out the Dolby Noise Reduction was turned off on my PS3, which is what I use as a DVD player. So when I watched the Road to Revolution DVD it sounded like hell, and I couldn't understand why. I realized a couple days ago the DNR was turned off and once I turned it back on everything sounded like I thought it would. I have watched it 4 times today, and I can't turn it off now that I can actually hear how great it is!

I am embarrassed that I ever doubted the LP guys, the new DVD is absolutely incredible. Yes, it blows Live In Texas away - it's that fantastic!

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, and for being such a dumb ass.

OK, let the bashing begin.

:blink:

Link to original thread:

http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=637

I am the friggin' idiot who started the "Disappointed in Road to Revolution?, Am I The Only One?" thread. And I have a confession to make...

It turns out the Dolby Noise Reduction was turned off on my PS3, which is what I use as a DVD player. So when I watched the Road to Revolution DVD it sounded like hell, and I couldn't understand why. I realized a couple days ago the DNR was turned off and once I turned it back on everything sounded like I thought it would. I have watched it 4 times today, and I can't turn it off now that I can actually hear how great it is!

I am embarrassed that I ever doubted the LP guys, the new DVD is absolutely incredible. Yes, it blows Live In Texas away - it's that fantastic!

Link to original thread:

haha! its all good bro.. yeah when ya wrote this thread i waz like huh? it sounds pretty damn good!! but i gotta admit, the sound on the CD is good an all, but not even lose to the DVD. ya cant play it loud on the CD cuz its to much distortion in the Heavy Songs, which kinda hurts your ears, to much bass. still good sound, but much better quality on Live In Texas and any other of their Live LPU songs.. still a FANTASTIC DVD.. fuckin amazing

Link to original thread:

Why you're sorry? you're free to write what you think. =)

Myself i didn't bought the DVD because there is too much Minutes to Midnight and because there isn't much bonus in it finally. And the fact they cut Papercut and POA (even if we can see them at the end) didn't please me much.

Edited by Mawloo

Yeah his voice has easily gotten worse since MTM came out. No doubt. RTR was one of the shows where his voice was weakest....ever in my opinion. MWT 04 he was off, but for the international 04/PR04 shows he was back perfect. Japan 06 he was great, but with MTM man he just...his voice got pretty bad.

Yeah his voice has easily gotten worse since MTM came out. No doubt. RTR was one of the shows where his voice was weakest....ever in my opinion. MWT 04 he was off, but for the international 04/PR04 shows he was back perfect. Japan 06 he was great, but with MTM man he just...his voice got pretty bad.

Agree :) But I've noticed, that during the PR04 Chester sang slightly different. Just compare with RAR04... I don't say that PR04 voice was weak, I can say only that his voice here sounds very strange. And btw, I think at 2006 his voice was greatest ever.

I belive the reason why his voice is getting worse is that he stopped drinking, taking drugs and all that around 2005. Doing so changes your voice. It happened to Hetfield, he admitted himself.

Do you remember that interview where Chester said that no one liked to hang out with him back in the days, because he was high/drunk all the time? He said that he was at the lowest point in his life in 2005 when everything with his wife and kids started to fuck up. He said Jack Daniels was his best freind. I belive those were the months they played Live 8. That's why he wore sunglasses. That's why he sounded sick. He was really not able to do a show in that period.

Then he got a new wife, new kid, and got clean of drugs and alchohol (What I've Done). He said he had singing lessons before the shows in Japan 2006. I belive that's the reason why his pitch was so good at that show. But he couldn't scream like he used to. He couldn't do the "half/scream" anymore, the one he uses on every chorus. He could only do full screams (like the ones in Qwerty). Actually, sometimes he couldn't even do a full scream, go listen to Breaking The Habbit of Summer Sonic, the bridge is so emberassing, sounds like a whiny kid.

He realised he couldn't do the half screaming between the Summer Sonic shows and the European MtM shows. He developed a method to do it, and it sounded very good on the first shows. I was so happy he was back in action. But the method also ruined his voice. It has been getting worse, that's a fact.

Though! Yes, his voice is weaker when singing aggressivly, but I think that he is much better at hitting the right notes than he was back in the early days. In verses. Using normal singing. The verse of From The Inside of Live In Texas - sounds like shit from Chester. It actually sounds pretty good these days, and I'm not drawing any conclusions out of RtR.

But I just found new respect for the man. I've been playing gigs with my band in a lot of different venues now, and I now know how fucking hard it is to sing up a big place. It is so much easier when you practice. I consider the singer of my band to be very good, but he would NEVER be able to sing/scream for as long as Chester does every night, in that way he is incredible. While I think that Mike is the mastermind behind the writing in this group, I also think Chester is a good songwriter when it comes to melodies, and that's also a very positive thing.

And, you can easily hear him being out of tune on the recordings, but at all the shows I've been to, I've never noticed it, probably because of all the fans singing, I don't know. But that's very important, because then all the "casual" fans and listeners won't notice either.

I hope he will have more lessons in this break too.

I just know the singer of my favourite band could have been so much more worse live than he is.

Edited by Fleur de Lys