Disappointed in Road to Revolution?

1stp Klosr

I couldn't wait to buy the new CD/DVD the day it went on sale - been waiting for this day for months. Sadly, I think the sound quality is perhaps the poorest I have heard on a live performance CD in a long time. Not the performance by LP, it's great, but the editing/production quality is inferior at best. The recording from the show I attended in Dallas this past August sounds MUCH better than this new CD (in my opinion).

Did I simply have my hopes too high? Are my expectations simply unrealistic?

It seems that everyone here is very happy with the new album, and I think it's good too, just not as good as I had hoped for. Am I the only one that feels a little disappointed?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion about this CD/DVD:

I think this is worst their release :angry:, I'm absolutely disappointed in RTR audio... I would like to hear audio like Auburn (with cool sounding instruments and fully audiable crowd), but not (IMO) shitty audio like MK <_< Also Chester's voice was ugly at that show and... LP played with very shitty stage set-up (they needed platforms and curtain from 2007)...

However I like video from RTR - it filmed very well. :)

Edited by And One LTU

Well, unfortunately, I guess I'm happy to see that I am not the only one who thinks this new album sounds poor. I thought something was wrong with my car stereo, so I played it in my home stereo and it sounded just as bad. I am very disappointed that LP would release something that sounds as bad as this.

Another point I would like to make, now that I realize it's "not just me" - what's up with people today not realizing what "QUALITY" sound. Is it because so many people download and listen to pathetic 128bit audio that they don't know what good sound is?

Edited by 1stp Klosr

i watched some songs in video from japan, and this dvd is much better than live in texas, live in texas sounds some forced, i don't know

i will wait until next week to get mine rtr and watch

the only thing i missed is some extras like music videos, some backstage scenes

but the rest will sounds great

i thought the set list of songs waz great. but it been better if they would of played 26 songs instead of 22.. so they could make a double Live CD so all the songs can fit and not cut Wake, Papercut, SIB and POA.. i know 26 songs is long time for a concert, but for just one night they can do it since they know there recording it for DVD. what ya guyz think? agree or disagree? maybe they should of done that, cuz the way they performed 'Points of Authority' and 'Papercut' waz truly amazing..and its to bad i cant hear that on the CD.. so hopefully on their next Live CD, they can do that, play a lot of songs so they can fit every song with a Double Live CD.

i know 26 songs is long time for a concert, but for just one night they can do it since they know there recording it for DVD. what ya guyz think? agree or disagree?

We can hear Chester's voice is suffering after a 22 songs show. Of course i'd like a 26 songs live performance but not if it implies worse vocals, don't you think ??

I agree. I don't think his voice at MK was THAT strong...I think he was having a little bit of a VERY rare "off-day" for Chester. I'm sure it sounded ok live, but you can definitely tell in the recording. Well, that's the way it seems to me...maybe others disagree.

well, i thought he did his vocals very well. but that's just me. the last two songs Faint and Bleed It Out, thought he waz great as usual. i do gotta admit he sounded better on 'Live In Texas'.. but if they would of done 26 songs, maybe they could of takin longer encores, breaks and maybe have Mike talk to the crowd more so Chester can rest up for other songs..i dont know. would of loved it if they would of done a Double Live CD though.. but i thought Chester waz great. i thought it waz a great show. havin Jay-Z come out, Mike in the crowd on In The End, Reanimation Intro for Crawling, awesome intro/outro for One Step Closer and havin that long version of Bleed It Out with that great Drum solo, and great Fast pace Heavy Metal Outro just made it end perfect.. great Concert. Special night.

Edited by Dennis_18

I agree. I don't think his voice at MK was THAT strong...I think he was having a little bit of a VERY rare "off-day" for Chester. I'm sure it sounded ok live, but you can definitely tell in the recording. Well, that's the way it seems to me...maybe others disagree.

Chester's voice has been doing nothing but getting worse since 2006, in my opinion. 95% of the editing done on RTR is pitch-correcting his out-of-tune vocal parts.

The only time on the entire Minutes to Midnight cycle that I didn't think Chester's voice sucked was the middle part of PR07 (roughly Phoenix through Toronto), and the first few Europe shows in January of '08 (Hannover through Bercy).

are we all sure there are no bonus features in the DVD? cause mike keeps hinting that there are

Great review for Road To Revolution...hope you're all enjoying it. And if you look carefully, maybe you'll find something extra on there...

the end tracks at the end of the DVD arent even bonus features.. they arnt hard to find so i dont think they count.

I'm not talking about Chester's voice you guys, I'm talking "sound quality". I hear all kinds of distortion that I did not hear in ANY of the DSP's. It's as if the producers added this fake distortion sound post show.

It's just the CD mastering. Commercially released CDs these days are pushed to be as loud as possible (check out the Wikipedia article for "loudness war"), so when they're mastered, they put a ton of compression on them to make the quiet parts louder, but in the process, the loud parts clip - they hit the level where sound waves get squared off at their highest peaks, which results in distortion.

Here's some comparison screenshots of One Step Closer from the DSP vs. the RTR CD:

DSP:

Posted Image

CD:

Posted Image

As you can see, the CD is much more of a solid wall that's constantly right on the maximum, which is why it's so much more distorted.

Edited by Astat

Chester's voice has been doing nothing but getting worse since 2006, in my opinion. 95% of the editing done on RTR is pitch-correcting his out-of-tune vocal parts.

The only time on the entire Minutes to Midnight cycle that I didn't think Chester's voice sucked was the middle part of PR07 (roughly Phoenix through Toronto), and the first few Europe shows in January of '08 (Hannover through Bercy).

You have to admit at Atlanta 2007 that Chester absolutely nailed What I've Done and The Little Things Give You Away. I'm a little biased because I was there, but listening to the recording of it....I mean that's one of the best WID's he has done vocally (ever) in my opinion. TLTGYA from that show is still the best performance of it IMO as well.

well, i thought he did his vocals very well. but that's just me. the last two songs Faint and Bleed It Out, thought he waz great as usual. i do gotta admit he sounded better on 'Live In Texas'.. but if they would of done 26 songs, maybe they could of takin longer encores, breaks and maybe have Mike talk to the crowd more so Chester can rest up for other songs..i dont know. would of loved it if they would of done a Double Live CD though.. but i thought Chester waz great. i thought it waz a great show. havin Jay-Z come out, Mike in the crowd on In The End, Reanimation Intro for Crawling, awesome intro/outro for One Step Closer and havin that long version of Bleed It Out with that great Drum solo, and great Fast pace Heavy Metal Outro just made it end perfect.. great Concert. Special night.

Well I'm not saying it was a bad show, it's an AMAZING DVD and it's hard to describe all the emotions i've felt. I agree for all the songs you describe. And at least Chester sang right Shadow of the Day, which is pretty rare :)

We can hear Chester's voice is suffering after a 22 songs show. Of course i'd like a 26 songs live performance but not if it implies worse vocals, don't you think ??

It wasn't just Chester or Mike that suffered near the end of the M2M tour, the whole band couldn't play as well as they did durin PR07 cuz they barely had any time to rest in between shows. They basically went all out durin PR07 which left them a little energy for the arena tour in winter and spring 08, and then they should've stopped, but they did another European run and PR08 so of course they'd be wiped out. (this show was last european show so it was before pr08 but still the entire band was really tired).

I think Chester kind of sucked at Milton Keynes, but that's just me. It's a good DVD, I like it, it's just not the show I would have chose for a DVD. Why not something like Shanghai from last year, which was the biggest rock show in China? Or why not Madison Square Garden, that would have been perfect. I don't think Chester has sounded that great since after PR07. He sang pretty well at some shows last year, but ever since, he kind of is losing it. Maybe he's just tired from all the touring, and he's been sick. I love the DVD, but the CD sucks pretty much. It's not worth listening to because it's not even as good of quality as the DSP and it's not the full show, they cut the best songs like Papercut.

My opinion about this CD/DVD:

I think this is worst their release :angry: , I'm absolutely disappointed in RTR audio... I would like to hear audio like Auburn (with cool sounding instruments and fully audiable crowd), but not (IMO) shitty audio like MK <_< Also Chester's voice was ugly at that show and... LP played with very shitty stage set-up (they needed platforms and curtain from 2007)...

However I like video from RTR - it filmed very well. :)

Sweet, I went to the Auburn show!!!! Better than the portland show of 04 that I saw.

chesters voice seems like its getting worse, i may be wrong. He sounds okay when the songs are slow but when the harder parts come he struggles a lot. But im not disappointed in RTR, only in the bonus stuff.

Thats why I was so upset that mtm took 4 years to come out. We didn't get to hear chester all that much in his singing prime.