The Catalyst video now in 1080p

dark_master

question.

This has been bugging me since i first saw the video.

What the hell is the back thing on Brads Jaguar?

Looks kinda of like a capo but looks too thick and the song doesn't need one.

Is it a part of the Jaguar?

Posted Image

question.

Posted Image

Yeah, I noticed that too... very interesting maybe his guitar is in Drop Db and he's just putting it back in Drop D, I have no idea lol.

Anyway, with 1080p, I can see the detail in Mike's beard.

question.

Posted Image

post-641-1282939956.jpg

Definitely not a capo - it's behind the nut. It's probably one of two things:

1. A piece of velcro/a hair band/something like that, that Brad's wrapping around the strings behind the nut to reduce feedback/unwanted string noise. Not sure why he would have it on the guitar just for the music video though, unless it's a guitar he's also using during tour rehearsals.

2. It might actually be a camera attached to the headstock of the guitar, that didn't end up being used in the final cut of the video.

post-641-1282939956.jpg

1. A piece of velcro/a hair band/something like that, that Brad's wrapping around the strings behind the nut to reduce feedback/unwanted string noise. Not sure why he would have it on the guitar just for the music video though, unless it's a guitar he's also using during tour rehearsals.

That's what i thought as well

Posted Image

Reminded me of old Syn Gates.

post-641-1282939956.jpg

Definitely not a capo - it's behind the nut. It's probably one of two things:

2. It might actually be a camera attached to the headstock of the guitar, that didn't end up being used in the final cut of the video.

Yeh its been bugging the shit out of me. I dont really think its a camera. Normally those things are thicker on the string side unlike this which seems to be thicker on the back. So maybe options 1 is the go.

No, you can't. The video on Youtube is 704 pixels high, no matter how you download it.

your logic would then dictate that we will never see a 'true' 1080p rip of this video.

the aspect ratio of video using a resolution of 1920x1080 is 1.85:1 (or 16x9) (with no black bars).

the catalyst video however, was filmed in the wider aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (or potentially even wider than that) - therefore, will never fill the entire 1080p vertical resolution with picture because the remainder of that space is occupied by black bars.

if we were to apply your logic to half of the theatrical films released on blu-ray - then a vast majority of them are not in what you consider 1080p.

however, i think given that the black bars are intended as part of the picture (and therefore, the overall framing of the video)... you can still consider it 1080p.

if the video was in 720p then the resolution would be 1280x545 (black bars removed).

Edited by Narc85