What does Joe actually do on stage?

Anality

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe's 3 main jobs are scratching, sampling, and MIDI triggers. The reason he looks like he isn't doing as much lately is two-fold, in addition to there being a general lack of scratching on MTM songs, a lot of the samples these days are triggered from off-stage by their monitor engineer (especially the intros of the show-opening songs), plus Mike has been utilizing the sampling capabilities of his keyboard a lot more (pretty much the entire strings/samples backing track on The Little Things Give You Away plays from Mike's keyboard).

Joe's 3 main jobs are scratching, sampling, and MIDI triggers. The reason he looks like he isn't doing as much lately is two-fold, in addition to there being a general lack of scratching on MTM songs, a lot of the samples these days are triggered from off-stage by their monitor engineer (especially the intros of the show-opening songs), plus Mike has been utilizing the sampling capabilities of his keyboard a lot more (pretty much the entire strings/samples backing track on The Little Things Give You Away plays from Mike's keyboard).

What exactly are Midi triggers?

What exactly are Midi triggers?

MIDI, which stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, is like a standard language. If I'm playing a B-flat on a keyboard, there's a specific code that says that I'm playing a B-Flat, and how loud it is. It's industry standard, which means that I can either play that through whatever onboard sounds the keyboard has, or plug in a chain of electronic modules that'll give me strings, guitars, synths, or anything I want. So I play a note with a MIDI keyboard, which sends it to whatever, which gives me back a B-flat at X volume in whatever I want to do it with.

That's the non-technical way of putting it.

Usually, what people think of when they hear the term MIDI, are songs that sound like they came from an NES. 8-bit type music. That's not always the case. That's really just a default port that comes with most MIDI controllers--you usually add in your own sounds via a VST plug in or maybe a Soundfont. (Believe me, in the 80s, those beeps were hot shit for video games because they didn't take up any space at all. Think of the difference between a .txt file and a .doc file, or even a .pdf file. The information is still there--there are still words, but the other two are a bit prettier, right? More specific with the editing.)

A MIDI Trigger is anything that you can use to create a MIDI signal. Obviously keyboards were the first wide-spread use of it, which eventually lead to the keytar and other chromatic based instruments. And then someone realized that the number of inputs doesn't have to be like a keyboard, so they made drums with it, and eventually...

Posted Image

....you've got something completely new, and we've managed to not only control what note and how loud it is, but any effect that we can think of can be manipulated with those cute knobs and buttons so that -that- note doesn't echo as much as -this- one!

Got it?

Edited by Reflectionist

On the topic of the MIDI pads, here's a quick list of every instance I can think of Joe using them (probably incomplete as I don't pay attention to Joe a lot):

Papercut (end synth part - most noticeable on the Smokeout 2003 recording)

Crawling (intro/outro synth part, second synth part in second half of verses)

In the End (piano parts)

Lying From You (tire screeching sound effect in verses)

Faint (repeating synth note in background of choruses)

Numb (intro/outro synth part - intro part only from 2007-present)

Bleed it Out (piano parts)

Shadow of the Day (synth parts in various spots)

No More Sorrow (long intro synth parts - same pad sample as Shadow of the Day)

New Divide (intro/outro synth part)

On the topic of the MIDI pads, here's a quick list of every instance I can think of Joe using them (probably incomplete as I don't pay attention to Joe a lot):

In the End (piano parts)

Unless I'm mistaking something else for a MIDI pad, he plays on QWERTY too.

In the End (piano parts)

+ From The Inside

I am not sure that he plays some MIDI's live , but there is one hardly-noticeable sound in the chorus that is supposed to be played by Joe.

P.S. After watching several Proshots I come with the conclusion that Joe doesn't play those parts but you can clearly hear them in the studio version

+ QWERTY (verses)

+ Runaway (outro 2:55)

P.S.S

Here are Joe's samples straight from his laptop (Road to Revolution)

Posted Image

Edited by feelthless

+ From The Inside

I am not sure that he plays some MIDI's live , but there is one hardly-noticeable sound in the chorus that is supposed to be played by Joe.

P.S. After watching several Proshots I come with the conclusion that Joe doesn't play those parts but you can clearly hear them in the studio version

+ QWERTY (verses)

+ Runaway (outro 2:55)

P.S.S

Here are Joe's samples straight from his laptop (Road to Revolution)

Posted Image

That's a screenshot of his laptop running Scratch Live, which is for all his scratching samples, that has nothing to do with the MIDI pads.