Thoughts On LPU Chat?

hahninator

if i may insert my point.

my first concert was at proj. rev 08. i was expecting them to play a lot of songs from M2M, especially In Between (cause I love that song). However, they didnt play it, but they did play some songs i hadn't heard before (Papercut, POA, LFY, TLTGYA) I had no idea what those songs were at the time, but they were insanily awesome. as soon as i got home, i got online and downloaded the songs, along with some of the other songs off HT and Meteora.

Even if some people don't know a song the band plays, if it's good to them, they'll still have a good time, and it will make them want to listen to it.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i may insert my point.

my first concert was at proj. rev 08. i was expecting them to play a lot of songs from M2M, especially In Between (cause I love that song). However, they didnt play it, but they did play some songs i hadn't heard before (Papercut, POA, LFY, TLTGYA) I had no idea what those songs were at the time, but they were insanily awesome. as soon as i got home, i got online and downloaded the songs, along with some of the other songs off HT and Meteora.

Even if some people don't know a song the band plays, if it's good to them, they'll still have a good time, and it will make them want to listen to it.

3/4 of those that you mentioned were singles though. :P

I'll try to give my .02, i see this as a simple way, some bands (I heard this from Metallica) say that the setlists go with the show you are playing, a Festival, you need to play your singles, the songs that get the crowd going, because they don't come to see you play, they come to see lots of bands and that sometimes isn't you, but when you play YOUR show, like PR, they come to see you, they know you, so asking them to play just 3 differents songs per night and rotate them (taking account the last time you played in the city and what you played, ala Dream Theater) is not hard, and having 3 records and playing 1.30 shows is a total aberration, i know the songs are very vocal-heavy and you can't compare 2 hour longs sets of metallica and LP because the instrumental parts take a big load off Hetfield, but they have a little more then 30 years, you can do it with your eyes close, Metallica played 3.30 shows in their thirties, come on...

So that leaves me with a conclusion, they are sick and tired of the old songs, and well i don't blame'em, it's all about tastes.

Sorry for all the Tallica love, but they were the first band that came to my head to make the examples.

Look I know I didn't attend the chat but I read the log and so far I've only seen negative comments. Some stuff was actually quite informative! Mike talked bout new album, the video game which many of us have wanted, new LPTV's, and the possibility of another LPU tour which he actually took seriously! Some stuff was pretty good.

Man, bullshit. fans won't know what with you is... or by myself? bullshit. They are a top band, of course their fans will know the song. If not, then they will hear a new song from LP and start liking it. Someone tell me how adding 2-3 songs that are NOT single's for once would hurt anybody. It will give some of the older fans to yell louder and rock out harder too. Stupid.

Shorter album? Bullshit. Then have only have those ten songs for like 2-3 years before we get a SINGLE or two new songs after that? bullshit.

I didn't know "No More Sorrow," "The Little Things Give You Away," "In Pieces," "Lying From You," "Pushing Me Away," "Don't Stay," "A Place for My Head," "Valentines Day," "Hands Held High" and "In Between" were all singles. <_<

That must explain why I've heard them play this songs live on their last tour with the crowd absolutely digging them. :rolleyes:

I know you guys think Warner has some super magical power over their artists, but I can assure you that they do not tell the band what to play and what not to play. Neither does management. That's just ridiculous.

And if the band doesn't want to play a certain song, they don't want to play a certain song. It's their song, their tour, their call. I'd kill to see my favorite band play my favorite song by them, but I know they never will because they haven't in about 6 years. I'm ok with that because they're doing new things and want to play their new songs. How can you blame a band for not wanting to play a song they wrote over ten years ago?

I know you guys think Warner has some super magical power over their artists, but I can assure you that they do not tell the band what to play and what not to play. Neither does management. That's just ridiculous.

And if the band doesn't want to play a certain song, they don't want to play a certain song. It's their song, their tour, their call. I'd kill to see my favorite band play my favorite song by them, but I know they never will because they haven't in about 6 years. I'm ok with that because they're doing new things and want to play their new songs. How can you blame a band for not wanting to play a song they wrote over ten years ago?

Maybe Warner doesn't, but it's how it goes for a lot of bands - Lacuna Coil is a prime example. They were throwing a fit not too long ago because they didn't have a say in how their setlists could go...of course they fought about it and got their way but it's a common practice. Saying it's ridiculous is a broad statement though. If Warner didn't have control on their artists, I wouldn't have had to take down a PRIVATE video that was a video I made for my dog that died, I put Somewhere Over The Rainbow on it...and bam, WB claimed copyright for something someone else did. Yeah, they do have power. Yeah, I shouldn't have used the song without permission...but goes to show that they do have power over someone elses work.

EDIT: Not trying to make a "poor me" out of that situation, just an example of something they did that pissed me off lol

Edited by rav0k

Maybe Warner doesn't, but it's how it goes for a lot of bands - Lacuna Coil is a prime example. They were throwing a fit not too long ago because they didn't have a say in how their setlists could go...of course they fought about it and got their way but it's a common practice. Saying it's ridiculous is a broad statement though. If Warner didn't have control on their artists, I wouldn't have had to take down a PRIVATE video that was a video I made for my dog that died, I put Somewhere Over The Rainbow on it...and bam, WB claimed copyright for something someone else did. Yeah, they do have power. Yeah, I shouldn't have used the song without permission...but goes to show that they do have power over someone elses work.

It's not how it goes for a lot of bands. Trust me. I work in the industry. I have lots of friends in full time touring bands. I've worked for a record label. I've NEVER heard of this happening before. I've heard of labels doing some crazy things to their bands, but never telling them what to play live.

That song is owned by Warner Bros. You have to pay to use it in a video. It's the law and it's not going to change. You shouldn't be able to use it for free in your YouTube video when someone else putting together a feature film has to pay big bucks for it. And your video was not private, it was on the internet for the public to see.

It's not how it goes for a lot of bands. Trust me. I work in the industry. I have lots of friends in full time touring bands. I've worked for a record label. I've NEVER heard of this happening before. I've heard of labels doing some crazy things to their bands, but never telling them what to play live.

That song is owned by Warner Bros. You have to pay to use it in a video. It's the law and it's not going to change. You shouldn't be able to use it for free in your YouTube video when someone else putting together a feature film has to pay big bucks for it. And your video was not private, it was on the internet for the public to see.

No, it was marked private. I made it for my own purposes to keep. No one saw it but me..but I know why they flagged it. It makes sense, but just saying they have ownership over it.

Regarding your work, I don't know what to say. If it's true what you are saying, then I feel as if I am wasting lots of money in these college courses I am taking. It's not going to be the first time though, that's what colleges do I guess. I prefer words from someone in the industry over someone that just took a class and assumes they know what they are doing..so thanks for clearing that up man.

No, it was marked private. I made it for my own purposes to keep. No one saw it but me..but I know why they flagged it. It makes sense, but just saying they have ownership over it.

Regarding your work, I don't know what to say. If it's true what you are saying, then I feel as if I am wasting lots of money in these college courses I am taking. It's not going to be the first time though, that's what colleges do I guess. I prefer words from someone in the industry over someone that just took a class and assumes they know what they are doing..so thanks for clearing that up man.

haha it's funny because my roommate and I had this conversation last night. We both got our bachelors degrees in music business and both decided that what we learned in college was complete BS. It's a good starting point I guess, but I didn't learn anything until I actually started working in music.

I've just joined this fansite, and I must say it's where i go every single day now. This place is amazing, and i can't wait for LPL 4 and that song Hannitor (spellcheck, sorry,still new XD) said he was gonna post this week

Now, getting to things, If they really are gonna make a ten song album, it's not neccessarily bad. Like someone has posted, Death Magnetics had only 10 songs, and hell ride the lightning only had 8 songs, and that album was legendary. Theres always a chance of things going bad, but with the way Linkin Park handles themselves with their albums, and with the additional help of Rick Rubin, this could possibly be their best album since Hybrid Theory (and I really like Meteora and Minutes to Midnight!)

Second, I definitely agree they need to reorder their setlist for concerts. I'm not asking for Across the line or No roads left for example (though that would be great) and of course She Couldn't will probaly never be played live, but they have played dedicated over points of authority i believe in a few concerts, and they have been playing reading my eyes for quite a few concerts, but you have to expect bands to play songs that are played over the radio, more so when the 4th album releases and their singles come out. But i must make another example; Jay-z, a prominent rap artist, has singles that sometimes features artists that of course can't make every single concert that Jay-z makes, so he plays songs more often than not that aren't singles at all, and the fans, including me, love it! So i highly doubt there will be extreme, or even moderate backlash to playing some of their older stuff like runaway, with you, by myself, don't stay, etc.

That's my opinion,

haha it's funny because my roommate and I had this conversation last night. We both got our bachelors degrees in music business and both decided that what we learned in college was complete BS. It's a good starting point I guess, but I didn't learn anything until I actually started working in music.

Yeah dude..tonight was an eye opening thing for me..I didn't like debating with everyone but I'm glad you spoke on it because I wasn't convinced at all based on what my professors were telling me. Now that I look at it, it's a big difference studying papers and becoming a teacher - compared to working in the actual field and knowing what the heck you are teaching. Quite sad but oh well, at least I will get a degree of some sort. lol

Edited by rav0k

Yeah dude..tonight was an eye opening thing for me..I didn't like debating with everyone but I'm glad you spoke on it because I wasn't convinced at all based on what my professors were telling me. Now that I look at it, it's a big difference studying papers and becoming a teacher..compared to working in the actual field and knowing what the heck you are teaching. Quite sad but oh well...at least I will get a degree of some sort. lol

Trust me, labels have TONS of power, but I've never heard of them telling a band what to play. An A&R guy kindly asking the band to play stuff? I'm sure that happens all the time. You obviously want them to play the songs they are marketing. But I've never seen a contract where it's written in that the label can do that.

If your profs have old record contracts laying around that say the contrary, I'll bite my tongue. I've just never heard of it before.

Definitely worth it to get a degree of some sort. And I'm sure you will learn some helpful stuff as well.

Trust me, labels have TONS of power, but I've never heard of them telling a band what to play. An A&R guy kindly asking the band to play stuff? I'm sure that happens all the time. You obviously want them to play the songs they are marketing. But I've never seen a contract where it's written in that the label can do that.

If your profs have old record contracts laying around that say the contrary, I'll bite my tongue. I've just never heard of it before.

Definitely worth it to get a degree of some sort. And I'm sure you will learn some helpful stuff as well.

Oh yeah man, I'm definitely learning the ins and outs of all sorts of things but I'm beginning to think my professors are just kinda winging it with some of the things they say. I have one who claims that he was in a band with Bob Dylan before he got huge, and they thought his vocals sucked and kicked him out. Just seems a little stretched but anything is possible I guess. :P

But i must make another example; Jay-z, a prominent rap artist, has singles that sometimes features artists that of course can't make every single concert that Jay-z makes, so he plays songs more often than not that aren't singles at all, and the fans, including me, love it!

That's my opinion,

You make a good point but have you ever been to a hip hop/rap show? Ive been to a Kanye West show and he definately played hits that featured artists like Good Life and he just sampled T Pains part. Or when i went to see Kid Cudi and Asher Roth, when Roth played Lions Roar it featured Busta Rhymes but he skipped Bustas part. And i have def seen Jay-Z videos, he played Umbrella at one point but just his verse. so not to bust your bubble but are you sure your point is still valid?

Oh yeah man, I'm definitely learning the ins and outs of all sorts of things but I'm beginning to think my professors are just kinda winging it with some of the things they say. I have one who claims that he was in a band with Bob Dylan before he got huge, and they thought his vocals sucked and kicked him out. Just seems a little stretched but anything is possible I guess. :P

His vocals were worse than Dylan's?? Doubt it. hahaha. (jk, I'm actually a huge Dylan fan).

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?

His vocals were worse than Dylan's?? Doubt it. hahaha. (jk, I'm actually a huge Dylan fan).

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?

No he was actually saying that Bob Dylan was in his band, before Bob Dylan was huge and my teacher claimed to have kicked Bob Dylan out of his band because he "sucked" and then later felt like an idiot. Just sounds like a stretched story to me. :P Missouri State University is where I am starting up, I just finished at Ozark Tech' which was a community college. So the professors there most likely weren't highly educated on what they were teaching..it just wasn't til now that I realized it. lol

No he was actually saying that Bob Dylan was in his band, before Bob Dylan was huge and my teacher claimed to have kicked Bob Dylan out of his band because he "sucked" and then later felt like an idiot. Just sounds like a stretched story to me. :P Missouri State University is where I am starting up, I just finished at Ozark Tech' which was a community college. So the professors there most likely weren't highly educated on what they were teaching..it just wasn't til now that I realized it. lol

ahhh ok that makes more sense. haha. I still call Bullshit though.

Cool I have a friend who went there and studied music business. He works for Universal Music Group now, so he seemed to do ok for himself post-college. haha.