LPU 9 Press Release

hahninator

Big post here, but this is the official LPU 9 press release and since I've never posted one before, I thought I'd give it a shot. The full package picture can be found here. It's also important to note that the only shirt at Best Buy that you can find this year is a LARGE - Best Buy is not doing any other sizes for those of you who were looking for them. Thanks Adam!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

LINKIN PARK TO RELEASE SPECIAL RARITIES ALBUM WITH FAN CLUB PACKAGE

Los Angeles, CA (November 30, 2009) – Two-time Grammy winning rock band LINKIN PARK has announced a December 3rd release date for LPU9: DEMOS, a special rarities album available with a membership to the band's fan club, the Linkin Park Underground. The album and membership package can be purchased together at www.lpunderground.com and at select Best Buy locations and includes a t-shirt, patch, and other exclusive merchandise items.

LPU9: DEMOS features nine unreleased demo versions of some of the band's biggest hits, including "Faint," "Breaking The Habit," and "Leave Out All The Rest." Also included is "Across The Line," a previously unreleased song recorded during the Minutes To Midnight studio sessions. Fans also get "Morning After (acoustic)," from frontman Chester Bennington’s side project, Dead By Sunrise (as an exclusive download).

"Songs change constantly over the course of the creative process, so we thought it’d be cool to share early versions of familiar tracks," says Linkin Park vocalist Mike Shinoda. "The versions in this collection represent important moments in the evolution of each song: different vocals, music variations, and missing parts. They're snapshots of our works-in-progress."

Since its formation in 2001, the LPU’s reach has extended worldwide to form a tight global community. The band has maintained a strong direct bond throughout, and every year they design special merchandise and release music exclusively to LPU members.

Fans first heard the new song, "Across The Line," during online video episodes ("LPTV"). Originally entitled "Japan," fans sought out the song for years, but the band had never released it. In response to fan feedback, the band decided to finish the song and make it available as a highlight of LPU9.

"The LPU is a movement," says guitarist Brad Delson. "Their support of the band is inspiring. So we try to give back to them whenever we can. When we heard that they had been talking about 'Across The Line,' we knew we had to make it available for them."

The LPU has enabled fans worldwide to interact with members of the band, meeting them at exclusive LP Underground meet & greet signings (held at almost every Linkin Park show), or chatting with them online at exclusive chats through the fan club members-only website, www.lpunderground.com. In past years, the band has offered free concert tickets to fan club members, cast them as extras in a music video ("Faint"), and flown them out for rehearsal sessions. The site also provides fans with exclusive news, presales, contests, photos, video, and more. The fan club consistently strives to offer more to its members through website innovations, creative content, and engaging contests and giveaways. For more information, please go to www.lpunderground.com.

The full track listing for LPU9: DEMOS is as follows:

1 – "A-Six" (Original Long Version 2002)

2 – "Faint" (Demo 2002)

3 – "Sad" ("By Myself" Demo 1999)

4 – "Fear" ("Leave Out All the Rest" Demo 2006)

5 – "Figure.09" (Demo 2002)

6 – "Stick And Move" ("Runaway" Demo 1998)

7 – "Across The Line" (Unreleased Demo 2007)

8 – "Drawing" ("Breaking The Habit" Demo 2002)

9 – "Drum Song" ("Little Things Give You Away" Demo 2006)

Linkin Park is currently in the studio preparing a new album for release in 2010.

Looks good - only thing I disagree with is: "Fans first heard the new song, "Across The Line," during online video episodes ("LPTV")." Didn't we hear it on the Minutes To Midnight DVD first?

Another thing that caught my interest was that it said they decided to finish Japan and release it for us? I thought the song was finished in 2007 but it was cut from the album. Did they just recently finish the song?

Another thing that caught my interest was that it said they decided to finish Japan and release it for us? I thought the song was finished in 2007 but it was cut from the album. Did they just recently finish the song?

That's a question I have too.

"In response to fan feedback, the band decided to finish the song and make it available as a highlight of LPU9. "

The band finished the song later on (2008-2009)? Or that might mean they saw feedback on Japan from what we saw on the MTM DVD (fans going LOL COOL or something) and LP was like "Hmm maybe we should finish it". I guess it could mean either. From all indications, the song was done in 2007 but that quote is a bit misleading if they didn't go back and finish it later on.

"In response to fan feedback, the band decided to finish the song and make it available as a highlight of LPU9. "

The band finished the song later on (2008-2009)? Or that might mean they saw feedback on Japan from what we saw on the MTM DVD (fans going LOL COOL or something) and LP was like "Hmm maybe we should finish it". I guess it could mean either. From all indications, the song was done in 2007 but that quote is a bit misleading if they didn't go back and finish it later on.

Maybe they saw the all the fans wanted Japan so they decided to finish up the song and release it for us on LPU9? I don't really know. You should ask Mike or something.

Ah yeah there's a Mike chat coming up, we should ask him if they really did go back and finish it. That'd be sweet because that means we'd have an LP studio song from more recent times.

Also hoping someone asks Mike about the old concerts being released - if they're planning on anything pre-2007.

Ah yeah there's a Mike chat coming up, we should ask him if they really did go back and finish it. That'd be sweet because that means we'd have an LP studio song from more recent times.

Also hoping someone asks Mike about the old concerts being released - if they're planning on anything pre-2007.

I've got a feeling that most of it was recorded, but it wasn't good enough to put as an official song release, so they went back and did a lil tweaking. Also if they're releasing stuff on iTunes with the live nation thing, my bets are at least one pre 07 show shud be released. Pearl Jam released half of one of their tours from 06! I'd really love to see SS06 actually. But I bet if they did release that they'd pull an LP and drop QWERTY and Reading My Eyes from the package, tho I really hope they don't.

My best guess is that they had the song finished, they just had to go back and mix/master it when they decided to release it, since it would have been cut before they entered that phase with the remainder of the album.

Then again, I've always been suspicious of how good the sound quality of Dedicated is compared to other existing demos from that time period and thought it might not have really been recorded in 1999 like it says it was on the CD...

My best guess is that they had the song finished, they just had to go back and mix/master it when they decided to release it, since it would have been cut before they entered that phase with the remainder of the album.

Then again, I've always been suspicious of how good the sound quality of Dedicated is compared to other existing demos from that time period and thought it might not have really been recorded in 1999 like it says it was on the CD...

maybe the song itself or song idea was made in that time, and they just mastered it later

Exactly what I was going to say. I think they had the recordings, and just needed do a final mix and that's what Brad meant. Across The Line is mixed as good as the rest of Minutes to Midnight, which makes it more of a b-side than a demo actually.

Yeah, that makes sense. However, this one piece of info might contradict that.

http://ethanmates.com/News.html

Ethan = guy from MTM DVD (engineer on MTM)

March/April 2007:

"Mixed bonus tracks and b-sides for Linkin Park’s “Minutes to Midnight” upcoming release at Larrabee North, Los Angeles."

I would think Across The Line was in that batch?

Other cool shit:

Dec 2008-Present:

"Recording new album with Linkin Park (Warner Bros) in Los Angeles."

March-April 2009:

"Ongoing tracking with Linkin Park in Los Angeles"

May 2009:

"Recorded and co-mixed “New Divide”, new Linkin Park single for Transformers II soundtrack in Los Angeles."

September 2009:

"Resumed recording new Linkin Park album in Los Angeles."

Well damn, it seems LP really has been working since last December on the album. Awesome news if you can call it that, lol.

exactly what i'm thinking.

Yeah, that makes sense. However, this one piece of info might contradict that.

http://ethanmates.com/News.html

Ethan = guy from MTM DVD (engineer on MTM)

March/April 2007:

"Mixed bonus tracks and b-sides for Linkin Park’s “Minutes to Midnight” upcoming release at Larrabee North, Los Angeles."

I would think Across The Line was in that batch?

i would think by those tracks he meant no roads left and the various rehearsal tracks that were released on imports of the album.

I would agree on ATL. LP's quotes, as we should all know, can be misleading. If someone only knew a little bit about the LPU, one might think that whole song was written a month ago, lol.

Really ironic you bring up Dedicated because out of no where in my truck today I was thinking about that song and its recording date. I have to agree; I think the song was recorded later... a lot later than 1999.

Edited by Preston