Chester vs NY Times & Rolling Stone

hahninator

The newest update from Chester's Twitter.....

"To Jody Rosen critic at Rolling Stone and Mr. Douchebag at New York Times. Thank you for your kind words *wink* glad you like the record"

NY Times CD review can be found here; Rolling Stone here.

Excerpt from the Stones review:

"Ashes is slightly redeemed by ballads like "In the Darkness," which bears a resemblance to the winning emo turn Linkin Park took on the Rick Rubin- produced Minutes to Midnight (2007). But the album is oddly inert, lacking both the brute force and big choruses that raised Linkin Park to rap-rock godhead status."

I think the term "emo" is being thrown around too much. What do you think?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this. Emo is really sort of a generic term now-a-days to describe angsty lyrics.

I kind of see where the NY times guy is coming from when he says the lyrics are a bit generic, but Jody Rosen seems to have missed the point completely.

She says DBS doesn't have the LP sound. Well that's kind of the fucking point.

It is the fucking point but I think more of what was trying to be said was DBS doesn't fulfill the same type of "bam" that LP did and does. While so many of LP's songs are right in your face with some great guitar tracks and high-energy choruses, DBS doesn't hit that very much and I think she was simply saying DBS doesn't come close to the raw talent and energy that LP brings which is very true.

Well to be honest:

I like the songs. the melodys and rythyms are amazing. BUT: the lyrics are too sad and emo indeed. Comon you are like 35 years old, you shouldnt stuff like "I wanna cut through my skin" and "Sometimes I feel like I wanna die". They have a good point on that one.

Besides that, even though theyre good musicians (also live), i cant watch their live performances. They come over like gays, except for Chester.

Now dont be mad at my post, but Im telling you how I feel about DBS. Amazing music, but really really too sad lyrics and clothes and make up etc.

And I really cant stand emo's. Sorry guys.

Well to be honest:

I like the songs. the melodys and rythyms are amazing. BUT: the lyrics are too sad and emo indeed. Comon you are like 35 years old, you shouldnt stuff like "I wanna cut through my skin" and "Sometimes I feel like I wanna die". They have a good point on that one.

Besides that, even though theyre good musicians (also live), i cant watch their live performances. They come over like gays, except for Chester.

Now dont be mad at my post, but Im telling you how I feel about DBS. Amazing music, but really really too sad lyrics and clothes and make up etc.

And I really cant stand emo's. Sorry guys.

haha made me laugh

but yeah those lyrics are awful, seriously

WTF...do you guys really think that 35 year old people don't feel sad...depressed???? It should never be about what a band looks like but about how the music makes you feel. I so hate the word emo ...they say that about everything. I feel the music helps people ....whatever age....get through difficult things....get through life. I really liked this album a lot....probably my favorite ever.

WTF...do you guys really think that 35 year old people don't feel sad...depressed???? It should never be about what a band looks like but about how the music makes you feel. I so hate the word emo ...they say that about everything. I feel the music helps people ....whatever age....get through difficult things....get through life. I really liked this album a lot....probably my favorite ever.

no one is saying he's not allowed to be sad and what ever its just the way he expresses himself.

Its very bad at times.

Any critic who comments on something being emo should be fired, seriously. That's a prepubescent insult.

Why? Because they laugh about people with tight black jeans and guys with mascara and women-haircuts? No they are right. They should be shaming themselves for performing like this.

But as I said, thats my opinion, and I really love their music except for the lyrics.

Oh, and I dont say 35 year old people cant be sad. I only said that stuff like I wanna cut trough my skin is for 12 year olds. Comon man, stop embarrassing yourself Amir and Ryan and the ladies on the other instruments. :lol:

Edited by Kruspe

seems to me like the writers of those reviews had a pre determined idea about chester before they even wrote the review. they are obviously oblivious to the actual album. who cares what they think. thats what i say lol

agreed ...some people are to close minded.

I wonder if the comment will make Chester feel that he has to go back to the old music. I'm not saying Chester is pressured into doing things or is a puppet or anything, but hey, if it makes him go back to Nu Metal I'll take it. Hmm...I'm starting to sound like a WMG executive or something. :D

Why? Because they laugh about people with tight black jeans and guys with mascara and women-haircuts? No they are right. They should be shaming themselves for performing like this.

But as I said, thats my opinion, and I really love their music except for the lyrics.

Oh, and I dont say 35 year old people cant be sad. I only said that stuff like I wanna cut trough my skin is for 12 year olds. Comon man, stop embarrassing yourself Amir and Ryan and the ladies on the other instruments. :lol:

Why? Because describing something as emo in a review is as hip as saying "Like OMG that song is totally my fav".

and FYI that lyric is a metaphor. The song is about love and has nothing to do with self-injury.

I wonder if the comment will make Chester feel that he has to go back to the old music. I'm not saying Chester is pressured into doing things or is a puppet or anything, but hey, if it makes him go back to Nu Metal I'll take it. Hmm...I'm starting to sound like a WMG executive or something. :D

Nu-Metal is dead lol. And i don't want him to to go back to that, i certainly want lp to write hardcore music though.

dick move on part of the critics...they really burned em. I dont think I've ever seen reviews that negative.

It's really not that big of a deal though, rock albums get shat on all the time. Some of my favorite recent albums (Dear Agony by Breaking Benjamin and Sci-Fi Crimes by Chevelle) got some some crappy reviews and both of those albums (especially sci-fi crimes) were brilliant. I think the same of OOA. I was very, very impressed with the music. It kept me entertained and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Kind of the way M2M did for me.

Krupe,

I think you're right on some aspects of the music but I dont get why we have to bash on emo or scene people here... i respect your opinions and youre entitled to them but this is an LP forum and it should probably kept within those lines...I think everyone can agree with that here.

That's the definition of a sellout.

dick move on part of the critics...they really burned em. I dont think I've ever seen reviews that negative.

It's really not that big of a deal though, rock albums get shat on all the time. Some of my favorite recent albums (Dear Agony by Breaking Benjamin and Sci-Fi Crimes by Chevelle) got some some crappy reviews and both of those albums (especially sci-fi crimes) were brilliant. I think the same of OOA. I was very, very impressed with the music. It kept me entertained and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Kind of the way M2M did for me.

Krupe,

I think you're right on some aspects of the music but I dont get why we have to bash on emo or scene people here... i respect your opinions and youre entitled to them but this is an LP forum and it should probably kept within those lines...I think everyone can agree with that here.

I never agree with what critics have to say anyway. I think they tend to hate everything most the time. I really liked Dear Agony as well.

as far as emo goes I think most people have a warped sense of what it means literally saying everything is emo even if it's slightly sad and it's really aggravating..and you're right there's no point in bashing them.