Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023) Manufacturing Errors

lpliveusername

43 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

Totally agree. This song gave me modern Meteora vibes, too, when it came out. It's the lyrics and vocal delivery that doesn't do it for me.

The synths remind me of Numb, and it could sit on LT with songs like IMR and IBG very easily 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QWERTY has to be on MTM20. Live version, studio version, etc. Unmastered version if they want. Whatever the heck they want to release with it, put it all on there. QWERTY live rehearsal 2007. Etc. lol

1 hour ago, Somebodyangry said:

The synths remind me of Numb, and it could sit on LT with songs like IMR and IBG very easily 

I was talking only about lyrics

Instrumental: Doesnt sounds like Meteora to me, the synths are forgettable,  no big chorus, no power chords, very slow pace, very cinematic.

Edited by JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

2 hours ago, millytripleseven said:

I personally always found the lyrics to be the weakest element of that song.

Yeah, next they’ll just go in and scream “SHUT UP!” repeatedly… oh wait 

30 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Instrumental: Doesnt sounds like Meteora to me, the synths are forgettable,  no big chorus, no power chords, very slow pace, very cinematic.

Lyrics are bland but not the worst lol, do you think runaway or APFMH have Better lyrics ? 

30 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

There are 100% power chords in UIG, not even debatable https://www.linkinparkguitar.com/uploads/1/4/6/6/146660116/07_-_until_its_gone.txt 

The difference is there's a riff going on top that wouldn't be characteristic of meteora, but that's only in the intro/outro too

And I feel like the UIG lyrics are criminally underrated given the band's explanation that it's about their kids growing up, which does actually foreshadow OML-style writing a little bit, but in a good way. Agreed that it's better than the "anti-something" generic lyrics on a lot of THP 

So the LPLive community consensus is that lyrics about kids = good and everything else = bad. Got it. What does it have to do with Warner royally fucking up another Linkin Park release?

While we're in the topic of lyrics about family, let's take some time to appreciate this beautiful song by blink-182:

49 minutes ago, Somebodyangry said:

Lyrics are bland but not the worst lol, do you think runaway or APFMH have Better lyrics ? 

APFMH has a great message.

LP lyrics were perfect, they were delivered in the perfect moment, perfect generation.

without those lyrics we wouldnt be talking about the band right now.

With OML generic lyrics Chester would still be working at Burger King right now.

Edited by JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

12 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

So the LPLive community consensus is that lyrics about kids = good and everything else = bad. Got it. What does it have to do with Warner royally fucking up another Linkin Park release?

While we're in the topic of lyrics about family, let's take some time to appreciate this beautiful song by blink-182:

The point is not that, to me the point is that LP wrote really good lyrics in their career (even Mike as a solo artist did that on stuff like OA or Promises I can’t keep), but the OML hate even on the lyrics really bothers me, especially if the “role model” for lyrics is HT where you have some great stuff but even some songs where the lyrical content is as generic as the worst OML track. I hate when there’s this generalization in concepts. 

20 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

APFMH has a great message.

LP lyrics were perfect, they were delivered in the perfect moment, perfect generation.

without those lyrics we wouldnt be talking about the band right now.

With OML generic lyrics Chester would still be working at Burger King right now.

Chester was a very talented guy, I think he would get fame one way or another, maybe not as much as LP but he would 

I mean, possibly a lot of hate for "the lyrics" is actually more towards how the lyrics are sung, vocal delivery, vocal dynamics, aggression or lack thereof etc.

I'm sure if HT lyrics were sung over OML instrumentals I wouldn't like them, and vice-versa if OML lyrics were delivered in a different way under different instrumentals, the feelings would've been different.

I finally ended comparing the songs versions from Papercuts CD with original album versions and single versions. Here are the results:

01.Crawling (03:29)
 - album version

02.Faint (02:42)
- album version

03.Numb/Encore [Explicit] (03:26)
- album version, but: the 2004 is louder, the volume of this one was a bit decreased
- additionally it has +1 second of silence at the end
- 2024 quality, maybe a small differences in mastering/EQ

04.Papercut (03:04)
- album version, despite not having 1 second of silence at the start like the original version from the 2000 CD has
- very small portion of the end was cut and added to beginning of BTH to create transition

05.Breaking The Habit (03:14)
- contains small transition from Papercut
- album version, it missing 2 seconds with transition to FTI at the end, because it was fade out

06.In The End (03:35)
- album version
- -1 second of silence at the end

07.Bleed It Out [Explicit] (02:44)
- album version

08.Somewhere I Belong (03:34)
- album version

09.Waiting For The End (03:51)
- album version, with fade out at the end just before the blackout transition
- 2012 master with different effects on vocals and guitar loop at the beginning (check the updated post here)

10.Castle Of Glass (03:24)
- album version with just almost 1 second of silence cut at the end

11.One More Light (04:11)
- album version, the last 3 seconds of it were cut and added to BID to create transition

12.Burn It Down (03:49)
- album version, almost 1 second a the end was cut from it
- contains small transition from OML

13.What I’ve Done (03:25)
- album version
- it has an issue with intro fade in, the same like WID in some digital versions of MTM

14.QWERTY (03:21)
- it's 2008 version, which means no transition from Annoncement Service Public and extra 2 seconds of silence at the end
- on the Papercuts CD the 2 seconds of silence at the end were cut
- quality upgrade

15.One Step Closer (02:35)
- album version

16.New Divide (04:29)
- the same as 2009 version, 2 seconds of silence at the end were cut

17.Leave Out All the Rest (03:20)
- can't really say if it's single version or edited album version, I guess it's edited album version
- it contains  1 second of silence more at the end comparing to the single version

18.Lost (03:16)
- album version, not 2002 mix, 2 seconds less of silence at the end
- 1 second of ending of it was cut and added to Numb to create transition

19.Numb (03:06)
- album version
- it contains small transition from Lost

10 minutes ago, martinez said:

I finally ended comparing the songs versions from Papercuts CD with original album versions and single versions. Here are the results:

01.Crawling (03:29)
 - album version

02.Faint (02:42)
- album version

03.Numb/Encore [Explicit] (03:26)
- album version, but: the 2004 is louder, the volume of this one was a bit decreased
- additionally it has +1 second of silence at the end

04.Papercut (03:04)
- album version, despite not having 1 second of silence at the start like the original version from the 2000 CD has
- very small portion of the end was cut and added to beginning of BTH to create transition

05.Breaking The Habit (03:14)
- contains small transition from Papercut
- album version, it missing 2 seconds with transition to FTI at the end, because it was fade out

06.In The End (03:35)
- album version
- -1 second of silence at the end

07.Bleed It Out [Explicit] (02:44)
- album version

08.Somewhere I Belong (03:34)
- album version

09.Waiting For The End (03:51)
- album version, with fade out at the end just before the blackout transition
- 2012 master with different effects on vocals and guitar loop at the beginning (check the updated post here)

10.Castle Of Glass (03:24)
- album version with just almost 1 second of silence cut at the end

11.One More Light (04:11)
- album version, the last 3 seconds of it were cut and added to BID to create transition

12.Burn It Down (03:49)
- album version, almost 1 second a the end was cut from it
- contains small transition from OML

13.What I’ve Done (03:25)
- album version
- it has an issue with intro fade in, the same

14.QWERTY (03:21)
- it's 2008 version, which means no transition from Annoncement Service Public and extra 2 seconds of silence at the end
- on the Papercuts CD the 2 seconds of silence at the end were cut
- quality upgrade

15.One Step Closer (02:35)
- album version

16.New Divide (04:29)
- the same as 2009 version, 2 seconds of silence at the end were cut

17.Leave Out All the Rest (03:20)
- can't really say if it's single version or edited album version, I guess it's edited album version
- it contains  1 second of silence more at the end comparing to the single version

18.Lost (03:16)
- album version, not 2002 mix, 2 seconds less of silence at the end
- 1 second of ending of it was cut and added to Numb to create transition

19.Numb (03:06)
- album version
- it contains small transition from Lost

Very much appreciating this deep dive into all the nuances on the CD version. Got my 2 x LP during RSD yesterday, so going to try and sit with it today and see what’s up. I did notice a cassette rip floating around, too, but it’s at the wrong speed and still sounds rough even when corrected for.

Weird that they took the time to do some transitions here and there but didn't use the single versions as the bases, so we still have a couple moments where album transitions were just edited around instead.

4 hours ago, linkin_boss said:

Now that we have all the info I wonder how long it'll take for someone to make a fixed Papercuts with singles versions and more transitions between songs lol.

For a greatest hits made for casual listeners...? Don't get your hopes high

4 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Exactly 

When i play a Beatles greatest hits compilation there's no way that i would know that something is off.

Someone who would struggle to name 5 LP songs besides the ones on Papercuts would not acknowledge these “minimal” differences 

On 4/21/2024 at 9:34 PM, bloodbath said:

For a greatest hits made for casual listeners...? Don't get your hopes high

There seems to be bigger issues at play here, most notably that the masters for Waiting for the End and Iridescent got swapped out in 2012 and the wrong versions are literally everywhere. Just like Shadow of the Day, No Roads Left, and Across the Line were. That is going to take some sorting out.

9 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

There seems to be bigger issues at play here, most notably that the masters for Waiting for the End and Iridescent got swapped out in 2012 and the wrong versions are literally everywhere. Just like Shadow of the Day, No Roads Left, and Across the Line were. That is going to take some sorting out.

Iridescent is wrong, too? I’ve not noticed, but I don’t listen to ATS streaming often.

So it’s at least the five songs mentioned, but maybe more?