I have little hope for a Collision Course reissue

This is one of the topics that can easily and spectacularly backlash if something finally happen, but what the hell, let's gamble.

As the title says, while I'd love to have a new reissue, I've got a feeling that this anniversary is basically going to be ignored, but there's various factors that make me think that.

1. Another reissue, so soon?

Mike and Warner knows that the box sets are a risky product. They are expensive to produce and not everyone is willing to pay 200 euros, dollars, pounds, for those.

Making another reissue could be seen a cashgrab from the outside and not something special that happens every few years and worth investing your money in.

2. Forget about boxsets, lower the bar.

For now, both boxsets have been a success thanks to nostalgia and tons of discarded material to choose from. 

While nostalgia for Numb/Encore could be translated to some selling (basically, people lurking the LPLive forums), there's not much to include. 

The original 99 problems/1step klsr? 99 problems/don't stay? We could run our imagination wild and thinking about thousands of remixes, but the truth is Mike is quite picky when it comes to choosing remixes (except for 2013...). So any b-side besides the ones we know would be undone remixes and boring beats. And even in the best scenario possible, a new remix that melts our face off... Still a remix. 

The main appeal of the boxsets has been the newer tracks, the possibility of hearing Chester once again, that kind of excitement isn't going to happen with a mash up. 

Lowering the bar means something more conventional. CD/DVD with a full show, perhaps 2CDs/DVD... Nothing too fancy, and I'll be very grateful for that. 

3. Copyright is the name of the game. 

Once we've thrown out of the window the boxset, we have to face another issue. We all know that when it comes to Jay Z and its label (which I think is Roc Nation), dealing with royalties, copyright and all that jazz is a living hell. Not because Jay Z doesn't want to collaborate with the band, it's just that this business is tricky when it comes down to split the money. Let alone of they decide to include something from the Live 8

Is it worthy all of this headache just for a small reissue made for hardcore fans? The band cares about its fans, but I'm afraid the answer is no, they gave us huge amounts of material this past 3 years. 

As many of you have said, best we can hope for is a YouTube video from the first five songs of the Roxy show, but we will have to wait if Warner is generous enough and allows it. 

Now is the time in the comments when you type that I'm fucking wrong. I hope to be...

I also don't believe we will have a superbox like the others, but maybe a mini box? (if that exists)

1 - I can watch a DVD with the complete Roxy show + the "making of" with more exclusive images of the band in the studio and rehearsals
This would fit perfectly on a DVD.

2 - a vinyl and a CD with perhaps some alternative version of a song, or acapellas and instrumentals too.

3 - a mini book with more exclusive photos of the band and also the performances.

If we are to consider an era of CC we have from 2004-2005 there were only 3 shows Roxy04, MFR05, Live 8 (we also have a small appearance by Jay in a PR04 show.

Now if none of this happens I would be satisfied with a QA with the band talking about the Album and after the Full presentation at Roxy 04 I would be super satisfied.

If something is going to happen for CC20th, we will only know between June and September.

Truly doubt they do or release anything, but this is the one time in history the rest of the Roxy 2004 songs make sense and are simple to do as there is no other Jay-Z management or label involvement needed. If they want to take that step, MFR 2005 is a genius thing to put out.

The band seemed less interested in Meteora 20 than Hybrid Theory 20 overall. I think their interest in Collision Course 20 would be even smaller.

Easiest thing to do: Put some live footage on YouTube. Not a great way to make money, though. Next step: Little booklet with photos and a DVD of Roxy 04 and MFR 05. Doesn't look like there is much in-between. Just don't see another good way to put the Roxy songs out unless the band somehow releases like 5 songs one day down the road in audio. But video?

22 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

The band seemed less interested in Meteora 20 than Hybrid Theory 20 overall.

Really???? Saw them more invested during this last anniversary than in 2020, which was kind of depressing 

3 hours ago, yagamilight207 said:

IF only they didn't stop the recording after CC in studio session.

then we could've hear Jay-Z rapping as part of 20th release.

Jay ask them to turn off every device. 

• 3 weeks later...

The entire band in general seemed less interested in Meteora 20 than Hybrid Theory 20. Rob was nowhere to be found, for example. Brad and Rob also did not attend the one in-person event they had since 2017. Overall it seemed the interest amongst all 5 was lower than HT20, when they did the full band Q&A and live show premiere online. Loved the Mike, Joe and Dave reaction to San Diego 2001 and had really hoped they would do that for Rock am Ring 2004 for Meteora 20 - what a perfect show to do it for. 

25 minutes ago, Vinescence said:

Brad did attend the Zane Lowe interview, though. To be honest, I don't remember Joe's involvment with Meteora 20.

He was there with the LPU event.

He was literally the one who said that maybe they should play THP in full once, cuz they were talking about a lot of songs not being played from that record.

1 hour ago, GreyFox-AFCA said:

He was there with the LPU event.

He was literally the one who said that maybe they should play THP in full once, cuz they were talking about a lot of songs not being played from that record.

You're right! I completely forgot about that wall thing

1 hour ago, OKCrew said:

That Step Up/Nobody’s Listening/It’s Goin’ Down that ended up on LPU4/M20 is also from that CC Roxy show right? Getting that whole set would be amazing

Yes! Very easy for them to pull it off the rest of their set. Must be already mixed and mastered

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind Collision Course’s anniversary isn’t until late November. Basically IMO, Collision Course is a 2005 album, as it was released with literally 1 month left of 2004. Apparently a stadium U.S. tour was rumored too for the summer of 2005, Mark said that once. I’m almost positive it involved 50 Cent which is maybe why he took Fort Minor as support at a few shows in 2006. Would have been legendary but who cares about that now. My point is that it’s too early in 2024 to celebrate Collision Course. We need to make noise about it come September or so. Maybe Mike will give us the Roxy show. There aren’t really any demos or b-sides for Collision Course. But we need that Roxy show from the vaults. Perfect chance to do it. 

4 hours ago, Plear said:

Keep in mind Collision Course’s anniversary isn’t until late November. Basically IMO, Collision Course is a 2005 album, as it was released with literally 1 month left of 2004. Apparently a stadium U.S. tour was rumored too for the summer of 2005, Mark said that once. I’m almost positive it involved 50 Cent which is maybe why he took Fort Minor as support at a few shows in 2006. Would have been legendary but who cares about that now. My point is that it’s too early in 2024 to celebrate Collision Course. We need to make noise about it come September or so. Maybe Mike will give us the Roxy show. There aren’t really any demos or b-sides for Collision Course. But we need that Roxy show from the vaults. Perfect chance to do it. 

If there is any way to get to Mike we want the full Roxy 2004 show so much!
We will be happy as a way of celebrating the 20th.
the current moment is FF in April and the CD so I think that from the middle of the year June or July we would have to join forces to make some noise about it.

There are so many epic shows that the band did that we would like to see one day.

I still dream about a PR03 or LPU03 show as I would like to see a proshot of ETR and HTF.
the Summer Sonic 06 Show then lol.

Roxy's show, the energy of those songs are incredible, imagine if we could have the full show with LP playing the songs before Jay Z.

I hope MIke can present us with this.

15 hours ago, Plear said:

There aren’t really any demos or b-sides for Collision Course. But we need that Roxy show from the vaults. Perfect chance to do it. 

The only demos that might exist would be the original mashups that were made before they rerecorded vocals (and that one guitar part for Numb/Encore). Those would just be inferior versions of the songs we already have. I don't think we've ever heard of a mashup that was started and left unfinished. The whole thing came together in a couple of days, right? It's been a while since I watched the DVD.

• 1 month later...

My idea for bonus material for the reissue

-Yesternumb (Mixed by Ethan Mates)

-Jay Z used to perform some CC tracks on his own and LP has performed some CC without Jay too

-Unreleased demos

-Full LP set from The Roxy

-Other performances (Road To Revolution or other SBD if they exist)

-Extended making of

Honestly, I'd have close to zero interest in a CC reissue.

CC is basically a glorified mash-up thing. It was cool for what it was, even got a huge internal hit, but in essence, it's already "rehash" of older material. 

Which would make a reissue a "rehash of a rehash". That's going a bit too far I think, but that's only my opinion of course 😛

Edited by Qwerty18

On 4/7/2024 at 12:55 AM, Qwerty18 said:

Honestly, I'd have close to zero interest in a CC reissue.

CC is basically a glorified mash-up thing. It was cool for what it was, even got a huge internal hit, but in essence, it's already "rehash" of older material. 

Which would make a reissue a "rehash of a rehash". That's going a bit too far I think, but that's only my opinion of course 😛

It might've been a bit too difficult because of the sheer number of names involved, but I think it would've been cool if they included "Collision Course" content in the "Meteora" anniversary set, like how "Reanimation" was included for the "Hybrid Theory" set. That's where it would belong, in my opinion

I still find it strange that the band included the audios from collision course on YouTube.
the eve of the release of the album " papercuts ".

As many have already said here and I also agree, if the band just did a QA with the fans and released that full Roxy 2004 concert on YT. It would already be incredible.

maybe some extra images of the making of too.

The fact is that we will only know in a few months if something is going to happen
I guess between September or October, if nothing is announced by then, we won't have anything for the 20th cc.