Mike: "Looking For An Answer" Probably Won't Be Released

lpliveusername

During the April 13th live stream, Mike Shinoda gave some interesting information about Linkin Park. Check out the full Q&A below!

- "Have you ever considered using one of Anna's poems as an interlude like the speeches on A Thousand Suns?" -> "Yeah, I used some of her poems in conjunction with Post Traumatic. If we ended up being on the same creative subject, I could see that working out, that would make sense but it hasn't happened yet."
- Dan Mayo tried sea urchin on the Post Traumatic Tour and he became quite angry at how bad it tasted.

- When Mike is away he likes to host other streams on Twitch, so he hosts Bob Ross, Questlove, The Roots, and more.

- "Do you at some point transfer things from Maschine to Daw?" -> "Yeah absolutely, I do it for every sound. it's a little bit of a pain in the ass but I get to mentally pay attention to every single sound as I put it into the track/recording it into the sound. So I'm almost double checking to make sure I like each little part and sometimes I'll find stuff where I want to change the pattern or putting EQ on it."

- "Will we get a new LPU CD?" -> "I think so, but I am not sure. This year is the Hybrid Theory 20th anniversary so we are putting a lot of love into that. It'd be silly to like... we've released so many Hybrid Theory demos that I don't know that we have much more to do that with after the 20th anniversary release. It's probably best to ask Ana and the LPU team about that when it comes up. I don't know what they were planning. The demo thing is like... there are just so many demos."
- "Is there any instrument you'd like to use that you haven't used?" -> The thing is, I could do some live drums but I am not a good drummer. But that means we would have to figure out ProTools and we'd have to figure out a live cam which I currently don't have."
- "Is "Looking For An Answer going to be released?" -> "At this point probably not. I felt like it was a special moment in the celebration show. It wasn't my best performance of the thing to be honest, but it is what it is. I don't know if we could put out a version that would do it more justice than that."

If fans remember, Mike worked on a studio version of "Looking For An Answer" in December 2017, and said that he sent the song to the rest of the band at that time and he knew Rob was going to at least work on drums for it. He said it could be played live on the Post Traumatic Tour if fans wanted to see it, but the song ended up not being played.

For more information on the song, visit the "Looking For An Answer" Linkinpedia page.

Here is the Q&A from the April 13th CoronaJam:

Disappointed to hear about Looking For An Answer. Loved the studio version he was making, and I bet it would sound great with the full band. 

If a song like Over Again can be so impactful still, I feel like LFAA could be great.

The question is... will LP play LFAA live when they return? If so, you'd think a studio version would come out at some point. As much as I thought the idea of giving it to the LPU was a waste, maybe that's what it needs. Like QWERTY.

1 hour ago, Hahninator said:

Disappointed to hear about Looking For An Answer. Loved the studio version he was making, and I bet it would sound great with the full band. 

If a song like Over Again can be so impactful still, I feel like LFAA could be great.

The question is... will LP play LFAA live when they return? If so, you'd think a studio version would come out at some point. As much as I thought the idea of giving it to the LPU was a waste, maybe that's what it needs. Like QWERTY.

I hope it get released on the next LP album when that happend, as you say it would be a waste if it end up on an LPU cd but i can see the live version released in that way.

Who knows maybe they wanna keep it as a one time thing and nothing more

1 hour ago, JZLP said:

This song must be recorded as simple as possible 

Piano and strings that's it. 

Mike tried to make One More Light 2 with it that was his mistake. 

Part of me agrees with this. The clips we saw had the song getting more and more elaborate, and at some point they all probably realized that the raw emotion of the performance would get lost in a studio recording.

I would have liked it to be recorded and released as a full band song, but I can't help but agree with Mike's conclusion that LFAA was meant to stay in that moment at the Hollywood Bowl.

54 minutes ago, Justin said:

Part of me agrees with this. The clips we saw had the song getting more and more elaborate, and at some point they all probably realized that the raw emotion of the performance would get lost in a studio recording.

I would have liked it to be recorded and released as a full band song, but I can't help but agree with Mike's conclusion that LFAA was meant to stay in that moment at the Hollywood Bowl.

Tbh i love the Hollywood Bowl live version. It is super raw and you can hear Mike’s voice cracking. I am drowning in tears everytime i hear this song. 

“Is there sunshine where you are? The way there was when you were here?”

These two lines made me more emotional than anything from Post Traumatic. That line caught me super off guard, and Mike sounded so vulnerable.

Will we get a new LPU CD?" -> "I think so, but I am not sure. This year is the Hybrid Theory 20th anniversary so we are putting a lot of love into that. It'd be silly to like... we've released so many Hybrid Theory demos that I don't know that we have much more to do that with after the 20th anniversary release. It's probably best to ask Ana and the LPU team about that when it comes up. I don't know what they were planning. The demo thing is like... there are just so many demos

He forgot about Slip and Blue in his closet, I honestly think there is more than we think there is from that era

As for Looking For an Answer?

It's basically Detox at this point. I cried my eyes out in the moment, as did everybody. It's hard to top that, and I don't blame Mike.

Edited by mattyice318

6 hours ago, Justin said:

“Is there sunshine where you are? The way there was when you were here?”

These two lines made me more emotional than anything from Post Traumatic. That line caught me super off guard, and Mike sounded so vulnerable.

This is the saddest line i have ever hear in my life, hits you like a tons of bricks in your chest with no warning.

Edited by sordomuda