Grey Daze - "Amends" out April 10

hahninator

35 minutes ago, MrCinder said:

Gonna toss in an observation of Julien-K's promotion of Time Capsule. Fans asked if they were releasing Chester and DBS tracks and they said how they're working to try but licensing, etc. can be messy and it might just not pan out. No claims like GD with their "WB wanted to wipe our music from the internet even tho that was actually us".

Front of the album is artwork, back is the 3 core JK members. Chester appears in the booklet with them, not from an LP performance. Brandon Belsky also appears from JK music video shoots, not from his other band's performances. Using a photo from Linkin Park material that has nothing to do with Grey Daze outside of Chester being in both bands in his life is trying to capitalize on the brand recognition of LP.

Everything you said is correct and I agree 100%. I have Time Capsule and the photo with Chester was from 2005 when Chester was living with Ryan Shuck at his house. It was actually from when they were rehearsing for the REact Now 2005 performance. But yeah. And they did include Chester on the release, the two live tracks from the 2011 acoustic Stars of the Season show, even though that show was a set of DBS/JK and The Messenger. Chester is heard all over the DTA stuff and the demos for it buried in the mix because he was 100% involved with all of the writing for that album all the way up until it’s release. He was also the executive producer for the album. Ryan and Amir are classy people who aren’t douchebags like Sean and Mace. They never bragged about him being as involved as he was in a bad way and never bad mouthed LP. They weren’t like ‘’Chester hates LP and wants to be with us full time’’ like GD is basically implying. I’m sure down the road they will release some of the DBS stuff that is unreleased. But they won’t do it at the fans expense, I guarantee it. 

Edited by Garret

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Astat said:

"We kept collaborations limited to people Chester was close to"

"Here's a song featuring a conveniently-named singer who Chester never met or even mentioned publicly while he was alive, he told Sean he liked one of her songs once though!"

Collab with that LP singer is the most irrelevant and out of nowhere thing i have seen in a while. I really like her though and have respect for her but wtf is she doing over there i have no idea. Literally no connection to Chester. Not even close. Beside the same shortname as his main band lol. 

10 minutes ago, sordomuda said:

Collab with that LP singer is the most irrelevant and out of nowhere thing i have seen in a while. I really like her though and have respect for her but wtf is she doing over there i have no idea. Literally no connection to Chester. Not even close. Beside the same shortname as his main band lol. 

It’s funny as hell Sean said ‘’Chester told me he loved her music one time’’ or whatever. At this point they can claim literally anything because they’ll just say Chester told them or Chester said, etc. It’s easy to say a dead man said anything, happens all the time after a person dies with people. I agree with Astat that behind the scenes they wanted her because her name was LP. Haha. I could just see them thinking that behind the scenes, obviously they would never come clean on it. And plus Shouting Out had a female vocalist back in the day so it was a no brainer for them.

Edited by Garret

17 minutes ago, Garret said:

It’s funny as hell Sean said ‘’Chester told me he loved her music one time’’ or whatever. At this point they can claim literally anything because they’ll just say Chester told them or Chester said, etc. It’s easy to say a dead man said anything, happens all the time after a person dies with people. I agree with Astat that behind the scenes they wanted her because her name was LP. Haha. I could just see them thinking that behind the scenes, obviously they would never come clean on it. And plus Shouting Out had a female vocalist back in the day so it was a no brainer for them.

And they couldn't have gotten Steve McKellar? or Sydney Sierota? I don't think they're too hard to get. I'm on that LP theory

2 minutes ago, MrCinder said:

And they couldn't have gotten Steve McKellar? or Sydney Sierota? I don't think they're too hard to get. I'm on that LP theory

Exactly. The LP thing does actually make sense to me. And it’s so stupid anyways. I’ve already seen people say things like ‘’Wait LP as in Linkin Park? OMG’’ and stuff like that on social media. But in reality people will listen and then realize it’s not in fact Linkin Park and be bummed. But it does give them that Spotify/Apple Music stream and in some cases an album sale. It’s BS.

I mean I am not friends with Sean nor was I friends with Chester so I can't comment on what they said to each other about LP, the singer. I had no idea Chester even liked Civil Twilight as a band until the Hollywood Bowl. Civil Twilight has been a band I've liked since 2011. So he likely did tell Sean he enjoyed her music. She is going to be featured in some of the videos I bet, probably saying some nice things about Chester.

My problems with the album don't have anything to do with the guests. Sure, I think Head is a weird one to put on there after his extremely disrespectful comments about Chester but *everyone* says some stupid shit in their lives sometimes and if he genuinely apologized and wants to make up for it by being on the album, then that's fine. My problems are located elsewhere with this project. I think the lineup of guests are fine; including Ryan was a really good idea for example.

3 hours ago, Astat said:

"We kept collaborations limited to people Chester was close to"

"Here's a song featuring a conveniently-named singer who Chester never met or even mentioned publicly while he was alive, he told Sean he liked one of her songs once though!"

Lol, do you know everyone Chester was ever friends with ?

4 hours ago, JZLP said:

Wow. 

"LP era Chester" 

Dude they are honoring Chester's life not an era Chester is not an object and he is not owned by Linkin Park. 

Who gives a shit where the photo came from, its irrelevant and proves nothing.

6 minutes ago, Garret said:

I’m sick of all this bullshit. Fuck Grey Daze. Fuck it all. Everything has sucked since July 20th when Chester died. That’s the day this fanbase was served a death sentence. 

Its kinda exhausting arguing about it all isn't it. 

Im gonna just let it all slide now tbh, I just cant be bothered. The sad thing is the music is getting overlooked a little because of it all. More Chester in my book is always a good thing, even though its old.

4 hours ago, Subs said:

Its kinda exhausting arguing about it all isn't it. 

Im gonna just let it all slide now tbh, I just cant be bothered. The sad thing is the music is getting overlooked a little because of it all. More Chester in my book is always a good thing, even though its old.

Except I’m not on your side about it. That’s why it’s so annoying. If people don’t like it, they don’t have to. It’s not going to stop them from releasing the album either way, so you’ll be able to enjoy it even if people don’t like it. 

Edited by Garret

1 hour ago, Subs said:

Lol, do you know everyone Chester was ever friends with ?

Who gives a shit where the photo came from, its irrelevant and proves nothing.

If the best marketing angle Grey Daze can come up with to justify her involvement in a project that, again, they're supposedly limiting to "people Chester was close to" is something as straw-grasping as "Chester was in the car with Sean and said he really liked Lost on You," I'm quite confident that she never played a more significant role in his life.

Straw-grasping is a good term for this project in general, actually. They either couldn't afford or convince the people Chester was actually close to (the rest of the Julien-K and Kings of Chaos/Camp Freddy crew, the STP guys, Richard Patrick, etc.) to jump on board, so they went out and got people like "guitarist in a band Chester toured with in 2004 who said shitty things after he died" and "singer Chester made a passing comment about liking one time" and "replacement guitar player in a band whose singer Chester was close to but would cost to much money to get on the record."

I mean christ, the actual guitar player in Grey Daze is some guy who got hired to be a backup guitarist for the reunion show and was in the band for what seemed like 5 minutes before Chester died, meanwhile their original guitar player Jason Barnes (who was, y'know, someone Chester actually had history with) is completely M.I.A. from the final project even though he was involved at some point early on. Did they fire him? Did he decide to bail? Does it matter? Neither answer is a good look for them.

Ryan, Jamie, and Marcos are the only collaborations on the record who were actually significant people in Chester's life in 2017.

Edited by Astat

Just wanted to chime in and say that reading these and other Grey Daze threads here makes me feel less alone over how this whole new album rubs me the wrong way. I was excited when Chester announced they were reuniting before he died and even continued to support Sean's future efforts with Grey Daze until I looked into it more in recent weeks. There's no way I can look at this in any way other than as a blatant cash in. Sean is without question exploiting Chester's death for money, flat out lying about the facts in interviews, and shamefully using Chester as a shield from any criticism or disagreement with "he would've wanted this or that, so don't you dare question me!" bullshit. I really, really regret buying Tattooed Millionaire after learning about all of the bullshit he's been pulling.

Also, the fact that they are working with that bitch Samantha now that she has won 50% of his estate (which she actually deserved 0% of considering she left him broke and suicidal after she divorced him in 2005) really pisses me off. Sean himself said that Chester hated her and that she couldn't be trusted, and now Sean is kissing her ass? What a fucking two-faced prick. I completely agree with everything Astat has said about this here and on Twitter.

It also puzzles me as to why they would recruit a guy who called Chester a "coward" the day he died to perform on a so-called "tribute" album. I know Head apologized afterwards, but that's still no excuse for the stupid shit he said or any of the ignorant assholes who defended him in the comment sections on Facebook. I love Korn and I love Jonathan Davis, but Head can fuck off.

All I can say to finish this off is that I'm fucking glad I bought my Grey Daze CD's way back in 2014 before this mess started. Back then, I thought Grey Daze was criminally underrated and was so frustrated that so few people had heard of them, but now I'm distancing myself from them altogether. I still love the first two Grey Daze albums and obviously I will always love Chester Bennington and the rest of his discography, but Sean Dowdell and his lapdogs can fuck right off.

Edited by kcg

we forget that Sean Dowdell is someone who's STRICTLY money-minded. of course a lot of these things are marketing tactics of his with no respect towards Chester & the rest of his family.

i do agree that Head shouldn't be on this album after those comments. no matter how impulsive coming out and saying that shit was, nobody here in this community will ever forget that.

i'm still going to listen to the album regardless. i hope they remake more songs in the future (Believe Me, Holding You, Saturation, etc.) and that those two unreleased pre-production tapes surface, but the way they're going about this really is scummy and it's something i don't condone whatsoever. all of this drama spawning in Chester's family makes me sick. none of this is what he would've wanted

10 hours ago, Scourge said:

i'm still going to listen to the album regardless. i hope they remake more songs in the future (Believe Me, Holding You, Saturation, etc.) and that those two unreleased pre-production tapes surface, but the way they're going about this really is scummy and it's something i don't condone whatsoever. all of this drama spawning in Chester's family makes me sick. none of this is what he would've wanted

THANK YOU

I haven't been too big into Grey Daze, but I had 2 tracks I used to listen to that my friend sent years ago saying they were MTM B-Sides. Found out they were GD, then forgot about them in the years since. Knew one was Starting to Fly and couldn't for the life of me think of any part of the second one. It's Believe Me, so thanks for solving that for me lol

For what its worth, heres what Sean told me. Even if you dont believe him, he is pretty spot on with the first bit.. He sent a few more messages regarding auto correct but nothing important.

There is no bad blood at all. I think some fans are just getting overworked and overthinking things.  

1. We have several people running our page and one of us liked a post from Tobi (Chesters soarer) sating we were a true brotherhood. We were a true brother hood and didn’t think anything of that but apparently people thought she might be taking a shot at LP. If she was we were unaware and would say anything negative towards those guys. We are proud of the work he did in that band. I just saw and spoke to mike, Dave and Joe and Talindas wedding and everything was fine. 

2. We had to license hundreds of photos. One was picked (by a team of human beings) not knowing that it had been previously used. As soon as it was brought to our attention we pulled it down immediately (very expensive but we thought it was the right thing to do). 

3. We sent an email to that individual trying to explain but apparently he didn’t want to hear it. 

We did every grout of love for our friend and he would be appalled at the humans trying to start fights and hating on his family members. Their fights and their fights and we are not taking part in any of it. 

Hope it clears it up and much love.

I will say this also. It is a shame that people are focusing on such foolishness instead of Chester and his music. He was a great man who wrote great songs with many great people and everyone should embrace that rather than try to pit one against the other.

Edited by Subs

21 minutes ago, Subs said:

For what its worth, heres what Sean told me. Even if you dont believe him, he is pretty spot on with the first bit..

There is. I bad blood at all.  I honk some fans are just getting overworked and overthinking things.  

1. We have several people running our page and one of us liked a post from Tobi (Chesters soarer) sating we were a true brotherhood. We were a true brother hood and didn’t think anything of that but apparently people thought she might be taking a shot at LP. If she was we were unaware and would say anything negative towards those guys. We are proud of the work he did in that band. I just saw and spoke to mike, Dave and Joe and Talindas wedding and everything was fine. 

2. We had to license hundreds of photos. One was picked (by a team of human beings) not knowing that it had been previously used. As soon as it was brought to our attention we pulled it down immediately (very expensive but we thought it was the right thing to do). 

3. We sent an email to that individual trying to explain but apparently he didn’t want to hear it. 

We did every grout of love for our friend and he would be appalled at the humans trying to start fights and hating on his family members. Their fights and their fights and we are not taking part in any of it. 

Hope it clears it up and much love.

I would say that I'm appalled Sean would say he tried to reach out and say that I didn't want to hear it, but that's typical behavior for him and his band.

1. The extremely poor, distasteful conduct of the band on social media does not revolve solely around one Instagram interaction with Chester's sister, as I explained when I emailed them. However, that was classless behavior by them with that one interaction - absolutely. I can tell they are extremely tone deaf with what they are doing online because they see no problem in pulling the 40-45 LP Ambassadors that Linkin Park built a relationship with over decades to promote their new album (remember GD is coming out of nowhere with this), and interacting with/using those dramatic family in promotion who DEEPLY divided the LP fanbase. And as I told them, it's extremely disrespectful to the LP community. They likely are not going to agree with me on that but I feel very strongly about that. That is ultimately what lead me to pull LPLive out of this. You're telling me not a single person in their band or label saw the continued babble of bullshit from Chester's family online over the past year (continuing to this exact day) trashing Shinoda? It's even been going on this week. Tone. Deaf.
2. Once again, they are missing the entire point of using the LPU photo, which I also explained. "Oh we pulled it down, what's the problem?" Here's the problem - they are marketing the album with Linkin Park images, and Chester's sole image instead of anything Grey Daze band-related. Why would they feel ANY need to use Chester on Projekt Revolution 2007 on this album? That is a Linkin Park concert, not a Grey Daze concert or event. Does Stone Temple Pilots or Dead By Sunrise promo any material with Chester on stage with Linkin Park? Absolutely not. Look at the Spotify and Apple Music headers (only CB's image) and look at how they are calling it + promoting it using the phrase "lost music." What, am I supposed to feel bad that it's expensive to take down and they got called out on a dick move?
3. Ah yes, the email typed by someone at their label or a PR-person that was sent to me. I replied at length detailing every single aspect of these issues and have not heard back from them yet but it has not even been 24 hours. I think that's EXTREMELY unprofessional to tell a fan "We sent an email to that individual to explain but apparently he didn't want to hear it." Jesus Christ.
+ I have no doubt the project was done with love. But the continue disrespect in the press and online promotion to the LP community, Linkin Park's record label, and now even Mike himself is absurd to me. I see they just started liking a lot of Shinoda birthday tweets yesterday out of nowhere, probably to do damage control for fans seeing them praise Chester's toxic side of his family throughout this process.

Once again, let me reiterate for the record, none of us in the LP fanbase ASKED to be involved in this and we were dragged into this unwillingly. Fans reacting to this online from December 2018 to present day came to *us* when it went viral. So they pull these EXACT fans to promote the album, don't listen to our concerns about the band's continued interaction with these people and the use of them in promo, and then act surprised when there is an issue. To not tread sensitively around this is unacceptable by Grey Daze. I told them Mike Shinoda acted with such class, professionalism, sensitivity, etc when doing Post Traumatic and he never cussed at fans on Twitter, never blocked fans, never lied in the press, and never started drama online. I can tell no one in this band has any sort of training or background in how to deal with a fanbase, much less one the size of Linkin Park's.

10 minutes ago, Hahninator said:

I would say that I'm appalled Sean would say he tried to reach out and say that I didn't want to hear it, but that's typical behavior for him and his band.

1. The extremely poor, distasteful conduct of the band on social media does not revolve solely around one Instagram interaction with Chester's sister, as I explained when I emailed them. However, that was classless behavior by them with that one interaction - absolutely. I can tell they are extremely tone deaf with what they are doing online because they see no problem in pulling the 40-45 LP Ambassadors that Linkin Park built a relationship with over decades to promote their new album (remember GD is coming out of nowhere with this), and interacting with/using those dramatic family in promotion who DEEPLY divided the LP fanbase. And as I told them, it's extremely disrespectful to the LP community. They likely are not going to agree with me on that but I feel very strongly about that. That is ultimately what lead me to pull LPLive out of this. You're telling me not a single person in their band or label saw the continued babble of bullshit from Chester's family online over the past year (continuing to this exact day) trashing Shinoda? It's even been going on this week. Tone. Deaf.
2. Once again, they are missing the entire point of using the LPU photo, which I also explained. "Oh we pulled it down, what's the problem?" Here's the problem - they are marketing the album with Linkin Park images, and Chester's sole image instead of anything Grey Daze band-related. Why would they feel ANY need to use Chester on Projekt Revolution 2007 on this album? That is a Linkin Park concert, not a Grey Daze concert or event. Does Stone Temple Pilots or Dead By Sunrise promo any material with Chester on stage with Linkin Park? Absolutely not. Look at the Spotify and Apple Music headers (only CB's image) and look at how they are calling it + promoting it using the phrase "lost music." What, am I supposed to feel bad that it's expensive to take down and they got called out on a dick move?
3. Ah yes, the email typed by someone at their label or a PR-person that was sent to me. I replied at length detailing every single aspect of these issues and have not heard back from them yet but it has not even been 24 hours. I think that's EXTREMELY unprofessional to tell a fan "We sent an email to that individual to explain but apparently he didn't want to hear it." Jesus Christ.
+ I have no doubt the project was done with love. But the continue disrespect in the press and online promotion to the LP community, Linkin Park's record label, and now even Mike himself is absurd to me. I see they just started liking a lot of Shinoda birthday tweets yesterday out of nowhere, probably to do damage control for fans seeing them praise Chester's toxic side of his family throughout this process.

Once again, let me reiterate for the record, none of us in the LP fanbase ASKED to be involved in this and we were dragged into this unwillingly. Fans reacting to this online from December 2018 to present day came to *us* when it went viral. So they pull these EXACT fans to promote the album, don't listen to our concerns about the band's continued interaction with these people and the use of them in promo, and then act surprised when there is an issue. To not tread sensitively around this is unacceptable by Grey Daze. I told them Mike Shinoda acted with such class, professionalism, sensitivity, etc when doing Post Traumatic and he never cussed at fans on Twitter, never blocked fans, never lied in the press, and never started drama online. I can tell no one in this band has any sort of training or background in how to deal with a fanbase, much less one the size of Linkin Park's.

No matter the squabble going on between tobi and shinoda, we cant just assume they are taking sides. They can be cool with everyone ya know. There is no beef.

8 minutes ago, Subs said:

No matter the squabble going on between tobi and shinoda, we cant just assume they are taking sides. They can be cool with everyone ya know. There is no beef.

If they wouldn’t have directly copied the entire LP Ambassador group + made it bigger than even what LP uses (yes the GD one is now larger than what LP uses for their promotion), then maybe so. But their mistake has been, once again, engaging with these folks and using them in their promo when they brought the 40+ Ambassadors over. It’s completely disrespectful to not only the Ambassadors but the rest of the Linkin Park community.

I am not saying they have an issue with LP or Mike - I know they have absolutely zero problems with them (now I’m not sure how it is vice versa).

LOL he said ‘’when he was with that band’’. Linkin Park was his career bro. He will be remembered years down the road for Linkin Park, not Grey Daze. Or anything else he did. Sorry but it’s true. He is so jealous of Linkin Park. Hahahahaha.

Barring all of the music related drama, I could never bring myself to support someone who is an alt-right sympathizer. I know for a fact Chester would not stand for calling a teenager who saw his friends get gunned down a "fraud". Way to "show love" to everything Chester stood for.

3 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

I think he might also be remembered for briefly fronting another mega-popular band with STP but I agree that the first thing anybody is ever going to think with Chester is Linkin Park.

Yeah but that 5 song EP wasn’t shit and he only fronted them for like 3 years. STP will be remembered for Scott and their earlier years. 20 years from now, people will remember Chester for Hybrid Theory and possibly the other LP albums after it. Definitely nothing after MTM or ATS. Sean is delusional. Grey Daze was a nobody band in terms of the scope of the music world. But he seems to think it’s something big.

1 hour ago, Garret said:

Yeah but that 5 song EP wasn’t shit and he only fronted them for like 3 years. STP will be remembered for Scott and their earlier years. 20 years from now, people will remember Chester for Hybrid Theory and possibly the other LP albums after it. Definitely nothing after MTM or ATS. Sean is delusional. Grey Daze was a nobody band in terms of the scope of the music world. But he seems to think it’s something big.

Im not even gonna argue with you about GD anymore, we are like cats and dogs, however I like to think the non casuals will remember Chester for more than hybrid theory and meteora, all the casuals seem to know about OML as well as all us hardcore fans. Just my 2 cents.

6 minutes ago, Subs said:

Im not even gonna argue with you about GD anymore, we are like cats and dogs, however I like to think the non casuals will remember Chester for more than hybrid theory and meteora, all the casuals seem to know about OML as well as all us hardcore fans. Just my 2 cents.

OML is still LP so I agree. His career with LP is what will be remembered in history. Same goes for the rest of the LP guys.