2018.07.28 - Salt Lake City, UT - LoveLoud

RogueSoul

July's a tough month for a lot of us, but the month's nearly over and you know what that means: Mike Shinoda's tour is starting back up! Before Mike embarks on his Post Traumatic Asian Tour at the start of August, he's warming up with a festival show at Imagine Dragons' Dan Reynolds' LoveLoud fest in Salt Lake City, Utah on July 28!

It's been quite some time since Mike's been in Utah. The last time he was there was for the A Thousand Suns tour in 2011, when Linkin Park performed at the EnergySolutions Arena. A solid show all around, it featured many A Thousand Suns epics like 'When They Come For Me' and 'The Catalyst.' That was the band's sixth performance in Utah, the first being way back on the Hybrid Theory tour, right around when the album was released in October 2000, opening for the Kottonmouth Kings. The band returned the next year, this time as headliners, at the end of 2001 on the Countdown To Revolution tour, where Jared Gomes from (hed)p.e. joined them for 'One Step Closer.' They came back during the Meteora World Tour, on the 2003 Projekt Revolution tour which featured rarities like 'Hit The Floor' and 'Easier To Run.' They returned again the next year on the Meteora North American Tour in February 2004, playing even more tracks than the previous tour. The band didn't return until 2008 on the Minutes To Midnight tour, which ended up being an interesting show. Chester was sick, so the set had to be shortened, which led to some interesting notes, like the 'Points Of Authority' extended outro being played after 'Papercut' instead.

Watch Linkin Park perform 'What I've Done' in Salt Lake City, Utah in 2011 on the A Thousand Suns World Tour.

It's been a whole month since Mike last played a show. He took the stage in Camden, New Jersey on June 30 at Radio 104.5's 11th Birthday Celebration, and played what might've been his best festival appearance yet. A very emotional night, the whole crowd showed a great reaction even if they weren't there for him, especially during 'In The End,' where there wasn't a single person not singing. To add to his festival set length, Mike added in 'Watching As I Fall,' amidst other Post Traumatic jams like 'Ghosts' and 'Crossing A Line.' Mike opened with 'Welcome' and its extended intro as he has with most of his shows, and closed out with a combo of 'Remember The Name' and 'Running From My Shadow.' This show was also one of his most emotional yet, the run of 'In The End' through the 'Over Again' and 'Papercut' mashup being particularly dramatic and emotionally powerful, Mike even saying himself that those songs almost took him to a dark place.

This show has potential to be pretty interesting - it may very well be Mike's last fully solo show. In an interview with Kerrang, Mike said he'll be adding in some band members to his set starting with his Asia tour. Now, considering this is essentially the warm-up show for the tour, we'd say it would make sense for Mike to introduce the band members at this show. However, the language he used suggested they won't be at this show. So that leads to speculation - who will be playing with Mike? Mike said that the band members won't be anyone we know, so that discounts any of Linkin Park members (sorry, Phoenix!) and album collaborators. Who do you think Mike will add? We're thinking a keyboardist and a drummer will likely be the musicians Mike adds, but we have absolutely no idea who will be playing. Maybe they'll be entirely new musicians Mike had tryouts for! We'll see.

Watch Mike perform 'In The End' in Camden, New Jersey. Hearing every single person in that arena sing Chester's part is really incredible.

As far as what Mike will be playing at this set, we're expecting something similar to the Camden show. Similar set-length (as Mike is playing third-to-last) is likely. We haven't had much insight to Mike's rehearsals lately - if he even has been - but it is entirely possible he plays new songs from Post Traumatic now that the album's one month old. It'd be great to see tracks like 'Promises I Can't Keep' and 'Hold It Together' be played live! Maybe he'll save those for the full shows in Asia, however. It's possible we see some onstage collaborations, too! Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn is performing, and in a tweet he said he'll be playing songs from his solo album with special guests - will Mike be one of them? Dan Reynolds made it clear how much he loves Linkin Park and Mike at the Radio 104.5 show, so it'd be great to see him sing with Mike, or Mike sing with Imagine Dragons. Zedd is also performing, and he performed with Linkin Park at the Hollywood Bowl last October (he drummed during 'Crawling'), so it'd be awesome to see him join Mike. What do you think will happen?

With the potential for lots of action happening, it's unfortunate we can't be there - but, we will be able to watch! AT&T will be streaming the show live on their Twitter, so we'll be able to watch the whole thing from home. Check below for all the stream details, including a link and countdown.

STREAM INFO:

Link: Twitter / YouTube

Countdown

Timezone Converter

*Countdown is to when the stream starts, we currently don't know what exact time Mike is performing.

Is anyone planning on going to the show? After this show, Mike heads off to Asia to kick off the first real leg of his tour, starting on August 7 in Hong Kong. Mike will hit many countries over the next few weeks including Thailand, South Korea, China, Japan, and Singapore. After that, he heads straight to Europe for the rest of the summer. After that, Mike's schedule is wide open - we're expecting a North American Tour to be coming soon, and Mike also wants to be touring in Australia which will probably come next year. We expect the whole Post Traumatic Tour to continue well into 2019, as well.

We'll keep you updated on Twitter about everything coming from Mike Shinoda and his shows. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, and join the LPLive Discord for discussion with fans around the world!

SETLIST:

1. Castle Of Glass (Piano Style)
  2. Ghosts
  3. Roads Untraveled (Shortened)
  4. Waiting For The End/Where'd You Go (Mashup)
  5. Crossing A Line
  6. In The End (Piano Version)
  7. About You (Shortened)
  8. Over Again/Papercut (Mashup)
  9. Make It Up As I Go
  10. Remember The Name (Shortened)
  11. Running From My Shadow (ft. Phoenix)

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

Could John Green be a live band member?

seen theoretically, we already know him, right? And Mike said that it'll be someone we don't know and I guess that John is not a stranger for the LP community (mayber for the casual fans, but a large amount of people know him)

seen theoretically, we already know him, right? And Mike said that it'll be someone we don't know and I guess that John is not a stranger for the LP community (mayber for the casual fans, but a large amount of people know him)

Oh yes I forgot. Well then I think we won't guess until the show :lol:

Could John Green be a live band member?

It's someone we've thought about for sure - if not for Mike, then maybe when LP comes back. He'd be a great fit.

I thought about making a thread about potential new members of the band but a lot of them came up as impossible, so it'd really just end up being "here are musicians Mike follows that AREN'T touring in August," which even then didn't really give many options. Literally the only person I know it could potentially be after doing research for an hour and a half is Jon Green, and even then as far as I know he's been in South Africa for the last month.

I'll think it is going to be someone no one has ever heard of, maybe a friend of Mike or maybe someone very young. Would be typical for Mike to give someone talented but not famous yet the chance to draw attention to themself.

Then I think (only prediction) when Mike is done with his solo tour and LP comes back in like 2021 or so there won't be a sixth member.

I'll think it is going to be someone no one has ever heard of, maybe a friend of Mike or maybe someone very young. Would be typical for Mike to give someone talented but not famous yet the chance to draw attention to themself.

Then I think (only prediction) when Mike is done with his solo tour and LP comes back in like 2021 or so there won't be a sixth member.

That's what I'm thinking too. Might've done some tryouts or just got someone he knows to join him. Only odd thing to me is that he isn't debuting them at this show - seems like he'd want to, unless the next week is pretty much all rehearsals with the new members.

I think it'd be fitting for LP to add in a backing member to the band like Jon Green. He'd be a great fit and help diversify the available setlist catalogue a bit. Wouldn't be a replacement for anyone, would just be like a helpful onstage presence.

Yeah I think Jon Green is an obvious addition to the LP show to free Mike up and to help with things. If Chester was still around I'd still say they'd benefit from Jon.

I remember Mike once said that they don't play Skin to bone or I'll be gone (i'm not sure about this one) because they would need a couple of Mikes to be able to play those songs. With Jon Green they would had the chance to do it.

I remember Mike once said that they don't play Skin to bone or I'll be gone (i'm not sure about this one) because they would need a couple of Mikes to be able to play those songs. With Jon Green they would had the chance to do it.

Skin To Bone and Robot Boy. They did play shortened versions of Robot Boy though. Chester actually said they would play I'll Be Gone but they never did.

Good set, kinda miss Welcome being in the setlist though... thought it might fit with todays show.

Seems to me it was just for time's sake. Short set for sure. COG opened another short performance at KROQ in June, I'm sure Welcome will be back in Asia and Europe (unless he trades it out for a new song)