2017.06.27 - Sopron, HU - Telekom VOLT Festival

Linkin Park's One More Light European Tour is beginning to reach its final stretch, but not before the band plays in some more countries. Linkin Park's bringing the tour to a place they have never been before: Hungary! Linkin Park is playing their first Hungarian show in Sopron for the Telekom VOLT Festival!

Throughout the band's 17 years of touring, they've never visited Hungary, so this'll be a fun first! This will be the first (and only) new country on the European Tour, but there have been other similar moments on the tour thus far. Not in Europe, but Linkin Park visited Peru for the first time earlier this year in May, performing their first show there in Lima. The band has been visiting several countries that they haven't been to in quite some time this tour, either: Spain for the first time since 2010, the Czech Republic for the first time since 2008, and they also visited Chile for the first time since 2010.

This isn't Linkin Park's first rodeo with Telekom, though. The company who runs the festival had the band perform a special headlining show in 2012 in Berlin, featuring a bunch of cool songs like 'Blackout' and 'Powerless' during the soundcheck. The story behind 'Powerless' is that the band (possibly) performed the song at soundcheck for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter so that footage of the band performing the song could be used in a video promoting the movie. It's uncertain if the band fully performed the song or used playback to some degree, but it's the only time the song has ever been performed in any form. You can see footage documented in this LPTV and watch the video the performance was for here.

Linkin Park's Telekom Street Gigs show in Berlin in 2012 was shown online and shown in theaters, so a proshot of most of the show exists, with a few songs being dropped from the showing.

The last show Linkin Park played was the Southside Festival in Germany, and it came with a fair couple of surprises! Mike's really staying true to the whole "no setlist will be the same" idea this tour (though he's telling us that he's not keeping track). Most of the setlist went by as expected: the classic 'Fallout' and 'Roads Untraveled' intro into 'Talking To Myself' opening the show, 'Battle Symphony' with its messed up intro in that mid-set rotation. Things started getting interesting towards the end of the show, however, as the band began experimenting a bit. Instead of following the trend of heavy rotated songs, the band brought out 'From The Inside' instead of 'A Place For My Head' which was next in line for a performance. The band dropped 'Faint' from its normal spot... and moved it to the closing spot instead! A big move, for multiple reasons. For one, the show in Southside was the first full show in three years to not close with 'Bleed It Out'! The last show before this one that didn't close with the song was in January 2014 in Las Vegas. The last time 'Faint' closed a show whatsoever was the Stars Of The Season Gala in 2014, and the last full show the song closed was all the way back on the A Thousand Suns touring cycle, in Kansas City 2011. A look at the physical setlist shows that it was also a fairly last-minute decision!

What can we expect from this show, in that case? At this point, who knows? It's a give or take whether or not the setlist will be a short one that bars the 'Battle Symphony' and 'Nobody Can Save Me' rotation slot amongst others, or if the band will play a full set (minus the encore break and 'Sharp Edges'). If they DO play the full set, it's likely that 'Nobody Can Save Me' will be performed. For the heavy rotation slot... who knows. We want to say 'A Place For My Head' is coming at this show as its the only one of the four that haven't been played yet since the rotation reset, but who knows! Will 'Faint' close the show, or will 'Bleed It Out?' Maybe they'll even consider dropping 'One Step Closer' down the set to close the show! Anything's possible at this point. One thing's for sure: the band's first show in Hungary will be a special one.

Oh, and the show at Southside was webcasted, too! That means you can check out all the cool moments during the show like 'Faint' closing and 'From The Inside.' This source is one of the best we've gotten the entire tour, so if you haven't listened or watched one yet, this is the one.

Linkin Park's the only band playing the main stage, so no other band paragraph today, but here's something interesting: Linkin Park played less than an hour away from Sopron just a few weeks ago! That's right. The band played Austria's NovaRock festival earlier this month, which is right next to the Austrian/Hungarian border, where Sopron is near. The distance from the NovaRock location to the capital of Austria (Vienna) is larger than the distance from NovaRock to the VOLT Festival. Small world (or, in this case, small countries?).

Is anyone going to the show? After this show, the band has another first coming up: their first festival show in Sweden (at long last, but more on that in the next preshow post) and first show in the country since 2011! Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates on the show. Let us know what you think we can expect from the setlist! Don't miss the big Grey Daze reunion show announcement, either.

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2017 touring schedule here.

I'll also be there and hoping for a good setlist, too.

Fun facts:

-This is the only day of this festival that has been sold out - weeks ago.

-The first 10.000 tickets were sold within the first 19 hours of the ticket sale.

-No other major foreign artist will perform on this day on any of the stages. This means that the whole festival will be full of LP fans.

-Unfortunately no livestream will be available as the festival was not permitted to do that for Linkin Park.

-Live check-in and interview might be available during the day in the official facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/VOLTFesztival/

The band will perform on the Telekom Main Stage. Stage is already set up as Monday was the minus first day of the festival.

There is a ferris wheel set up not far away from the stage - similarly as last time in Southside Festival.

The band will be performing on this special main stage, between two giant robots - by the courtesy of Telekom:

post-127794-0-26294400-1498548107_thumb.png post-127794-0-90004400-1498548107_thumb.png post-127794-0-71202000-1498548105_thumb.png post-127794-0-49996500-1498548106_thumb.png

Source: Instagram

Edited by gimbas

I'll also be there and hoping for a good setlist, too.

Fun facts:

-This is the only day of this festival that has been sold out - weeks ago.

-The first 10.000 tickets were sold within the first 19 hours of the ticket sale.

-No other major foreign artist will perform on this day on any of the stages. This means that the whole festival will be full of LP fans.

-Unfortunately no livestream will be available as the festival was not permitted to do that for Linkin Park.

-Live check-in and interview might be available during the day in the official facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/VOLTFesztival/

The band will perform on the Telekom Main Stage. Stage is already set up as Monday was the minus first day of the festival.

There is a ferris wheel set up not far away from the stage - similarly as last time in Southside Festival.

The band will be performing on this special main stage, between two giant robots - by the courtesy of Telekom:

volt3.png volt4.png Volt1.png volt2.png

Source: Instagram

Thanks for all that cool info! I like those two giant robot on the sides!

My dream just came true. I have wote many times in the past in this forum that they must come to Hungary because here are a tons of fan as well but many of them has no money to travel abroad. I saw them in Wrocław first, then in Vienna, but it was important to me that they come here. :)

4 hours before the show, aleeady heav rows at the festival entrance. LPU members will meet the band around 19-20 o'clock.

post-127794-0-06581900-1498574998_thumb.jpg

3h 30min before the show, more and more fana are trying to hold on to the good spots. The stage seems to almost be ready. Lightcheck is going on.

post-127794-0-33079400-1498576517_thumb.jpg post-127794-0-99980800-1498576559_thumb.jpg

Around 19:30 CET, live facebook interview is expected with the band. Check here: https://www.facebook.com/VOLTFesztival/

Linkin Park has probably just rolled in in a black Mercedes van with an Austrian plate :) LPU members are just about to meet them after the live interview.

Quick review: Show is over. The dropped battle s., Mike rapped its going down on cog, they played APFMH (with a little guitar +drum intro) there was encore break and Mike rapped reading my eyes over bio. The show was awesome crowd too. And bio was the closer song now

Setlist is all standard, no Battle Symphony or Nobody Can Save Me. Rotated song is APFMH. Only thing I did not recognize unfortunately what Mike was rapping during Bleed it out. That was the last song, intro was fallout /RU. Faint was played as last song before the encore, so back to basics on that one as well. Its going down was rapped in the usual spot as well.

MG was awesome. Rob confirmed that Faint was moved to last song on the previous show on purpose and there was no technical issue behind it.

***********************************************************************************

Live interview before the show:

https://www.facebook.com/VOLTFesztival/videos/10154891144729227/

Pictures:

http://www.volume.at/fotos/galerie/m16/7198/

Plus information for the setlist:

A few rows of "Faint" were not sang because accidentally Mike bumped into Phoenix (around the end of v2) and almost fell.

Chester went into the crowd during: the end of Waiting for the End, and One More Light plus Crawling.

Joe Hahn went also down after Chester (when he sang Crawling) so that he could take some pictures of Chester. Here's an example: https://twitter.com/joehahnLP/status/879984841684430848

Mike went into the crowd during the second verse of "In The End".

Hope this helps ;)

**************************************************************************************-

Couple more pics:

https://www.facebook.com/LinkinParkSun/posts/1302458216519006

A Place For My Head was requested by my friend xdespisedkidx, and Reading my Eyes was my idea to ask Mike about it, and it was requested by both me and xdespsiedkidx on meet&greet. Crowd was damn weak while APFMH but they immedieately started cheering when WID started after tha.. :P

The event was almost streamed live, but VOLT festival was unable to get permission for the webcast.

Edited by LPMaskMan

Great job on the requests. I hear the people up front yelling the bridge, people know it.

I never thought I'd say this but they are pretty rough on APFMH still. Rob messed up the timing in Poland and Italy...his tech had to clap the tempo for him in Italy. Chester the same way in Poland on the bridge and Hungary on the bridge - I see Rob come in with the cymbal to help him stay on time. I guess it wasn't played even once between Roma 2015 (a one off) and now...so the last time it was rehearsed at all was January 2015 which is over two and a half years ago.

I think the production rehearsal in Mansfield will get some run throughs of POA, FTI and APFMH.

Actually, at the M&G, right before the show, I have also asked Joe:

-What are our chances to APFMH tonight?

"Ten percent...luck." he replied.

We have laughed and later on, they actually played the song.

Additional updates:

One of the supporting acts (on the other stage), Hungarian band called "Brains", has given a little tribute show before the show, in front of Sopron's central train station to the fans arriving tothe location of the festival:

https://www.facebook.com/BRAINSBAND/videos/10155421493688454/

And the crowd during the show in the evening:

https://www.facebook.com/VOLTFesztival/posts/10154891679374227:0

Some more photos:

https://www.facebook.com/festivalphotographers/posts/1763849010573484

And yes, the 45K is awesome - as a comparison, in last year, Iron Maiden topped this festival with a 35K crowd attending.

Our video about "In The End" (Keep em guessing) version.

https://instagram.com/p/BV5OR5bFCTD/

The ticket and wristband for the show:

post-127794-0-28604500-1498677163_thumb.jpg

So somehow it looks like we all missed out on an entire livestream from an official channel (even if its from the crowd). If you ever find a stream of any sort, be sure to let us know!

It was not official as you see.Someone streamed with phone. As I said above, there was no official stream because the festival didn't get permission for this.

Here's WID from that show:

at 00:01 you can here Mike saying "Köszönöm!" which means "Thank you!" :D