It Begins: Linkin Park Starts Teasing New Music

RogueSoul

I think an upbeat pop record would sound great but I think a chill vibe could work good as well.

I will say don't judge things based on genre. I thought THP was going to be their best work to date because of genre alone and it's my least favorite LP album to date that I also haven't listened to in full since 2014 since the first half of the album is 100% forgettable and some of the worst music they have ever made in my opinion. But I thought it would be the greatest album they have done and best album of 2014 simply because of the fact that it would be the heaviest LP album to date. Now it was proven to be the heaviest LP album to date but it also proved me wrong about being amazing. Genre means very little in the scheme of things. If a song is good, it's good regardless of what genre it is. If an album is good, an album is good regardless of what genre it is.

As someone who listens to all major genres on a regular basis except Classical, I feel like i've seen too many people limit themselves because they have a misconception that everything in a genre is bad and they refuse to actually dive into that genre. On the flip side, I've seen people who hate a genre but find an artist in that genre that actually like. On a different website I post on, I've seen it happen with multiple posters who won't listen to anything outside of rap. On the same website, I know posters who hate country but have collectively taken a liking to both Thomas Rhett and Sam Hunt who are both up and coming country stars.

I ask and highly suggest everyone here to not limit themselves because of a word or a genre.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This melody is stuck in head)) And yesterday's video was familiar... and then remembered about this tablature

I wish I knew enough about reading music to understand how these numbers translate into the melody we heard in the video.

I just realised that the first teaser clip possibly represents the way the band wrote the new music. Starting with words and chords / melodies.

What if it's not even the single but rather an indication of what the album is going to sound like. The band probably just wanted us to hear what the direction was for the new album and how they're approaching it. That's my take on the clip.

I think an upbeat pop record would sound great but I think a chill vibe could work good as well.

I will say don't judge things based on genre. I thought THP was going to be their best work to date because of genre alone and it's my least favorite LP album to date that I also haven't listened to in full since 2014 since the first half of the album is 100% forgettable and some of the worst music they have ever made in my opinion. But I thought it would be the greatest album they have done and best album of 2014 simply because of the fact that it would be the heaviest LP album to date. Now it was proven to be the heaviest LP album to date but it also proved me wrong about being amazing. Genre means very little in the scheme of things. If a song is good, it's good regardless of what genre it is. If an album is good, an album is good regardless of what genre it is.

As someone who listens to all major genres on a regular basis except Classical, I feel like i've seen too many people limit themselves because they have a misconception that everything in a genre is bad and they refuse to actually dive into that genre. On the flip side, I've seen people who hate a genre but find an artist in that genre that actually like. On a different website I post on, I've seen it happen with multiple posters who won't listen to anything outside of rap. On the same website, I know posters who hate country but have collectively taken a liking to both Thomas Rhett and Sam Hunt who are both up and coming country stars.

I ask and highly suggest everyone here to not limit themselves because of a word or a genre.

The problem with THP is that it feels so outdated, the only track that I totally love is ALITS and still I hate Chester's vocals they sound like demo quality.

The problem with THP is that it feels so outdated, the only track that I totally love is ALITS and still I hate Chester's vocals they sound like demo quality.

ALITS sounds much better live than it does studio, just like all of LP's music, IMO. But ALITS is a really good example of it. I agree. It really sucks that they didn't play the song on Carnivores, I would have loved to see it.

Edited by Geki

I personally love The hunting party, and I think most people usually get stuck with just calling it heavy and don't give credit for the diversity it has. New metal, electronic rock, prog rock, punk, you have all of that and more there, and even the new metal ones sound fresh with the solos and other new stuff.

a) they did that (essentially) with GATS. Look what happened to album sales and single performance.

B) Strategically speaking, it's a smart move, especially considering the band's last huge hit was four years ago. Teasing new music over a period of time will allow for many more people to see it and maximize the audience. Not everyone pays close attention to the band.

c) LP just isn't the kind of band to drop things out of the blue when it comes to things like this, and as I mentioned before, look what happened when they did. They like the drama and excitement of a release - they've said this before. Look what's it's doing for the community, too - it's been more active in the last two days than it has been in nearly the entirety of 2016.

d) It's been said again and again by the band members that this is a personal album to them. It's like, you wouldn't go out into the world after you have your first child and just through it into a crowded street. You appreciate the intimacy with him or her before you set them free. In many ways, that's what this album is like to the band, I bet. Something they've grown with for a long time that they need to give a proper send-off to.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here just for the hell of it.

1. This probably had more to do with it being a metal influenced song more than the release strategy itself. I live in LA and I did not hear that song on the radio once, and kroq LOVES lp. They helped start their careers. Most alt-rock radio weren't going to touch that song with a 10 foot pole. The result might have been different if they dropped UIG instead.

2. I would think maximizing the audience would require posting info to channels other than the ones hardcore fans follow. And truth be told, how big is the hardcore fan base now? You usually only see the same familiar people engaging in the community. From my personal experience, most people I talk to at LP shows (again, in LA) are usually just casual fans. The hardcore LPU crowd tend to be small and close knit. To continue with this thought, everyone I know who is a casual fan has no idea they are about to drop new music, let alone that they've been finishing up in the studio working on new material. Not to mention that these same people actually follow the bands social media accounts where the majority of the promo has taken place thus far.

3. Cant argue this point. It's definitely sparked attention in the fans (our posts being a prime example)

4. Aside from what the band members have personally stated, the rest is just speculation.

Hopefully I didn't come off as confrontational here. Not my intention. Just bored and thought i'd offer some counter-points. At the end of the day, I don't work for the band and I didn't go to school for marketing so who cares about my take. I'm just another jerk-off on the internet. :P

GATS seemed just like pure fan service. It wasn't meant to be a real single or radio hit. There was no proper video (they could have easily done a badass video with studio footage).

Also the radio edit was so terrible, no wonder it wasn't on the radio. The song was completely butchered, the shortened intro was ok but Rakim was completely cut out and thus it just went from chorus to chorus.

I personally really liked the direction THP was taking, the sound is sometimes a little too raw though. Loved it musically but they could have polished it a little more. I'm a big fan of the drums on this album.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here just for the hell of it.

1. This probably had more to do with it being a metal influenced song more than the release strategy itself. I live in LA and I did not hear that song on the radio once, and kroq LOVES lp. They helped start their careers. Most alt-rock radio weren't going to touch that song with a 10 foot pole. The result might have been different if they dropped UIG instead.

2. I would think maximizing the audience would require posting info to channels other than the ones hardcore fans follow. And truth be told, how big is the hardcore fan base now? You usually only see the same familiar people engaging in the community. From my personal experience, most people I talk to at LP shows (again, in LA) are usually just casual fans. The hardcore LPU crowd tend to be small and close knit. To continue with this thought, everyone I know who is a casual fan has no idea they are about to drop new music, let alone that they've been finishing up in the studio working on new material. Not to mention that these same people actually follow the bands social media accounts where the majority of the promo has taken place thus far.

4. Aside from what the band members have personally stated, the rest is just speculation.

Not being a jerk at all, glad someone provided something to discuss!

Yes, GATS being a heavier song and longer did play into it but keep in mind there's a radio edit of it and proper promotion is the key to ANY release, regardless of the format. Dropping something out of the blue really doesn't work unless you are incredibly popular or just don't care about the performance of it, which I guess in their defense they didn't really care with this album. KROQ wasn't ready for the single just like we were. I'm sure the radio edit wasn't ready because they just wanted it to be dropped, and the label wasn't really excited about promoting either.

Well, Twitter and Facebook are pretty much some of the biggest social networks out there. Doing what they're doing is getting it out to the maximum amount of people, I don't think if they posted it on Google+, for example, that it would have that great of an affect on the performance. Plus, with their knowledge of how influential the fanbases are and the LPAmbassadors promotion, they're really doing everything they can to maximize the audience.

True, it is speculation but as someone who makes music I can vouch for it being a very personal thing when wanting to release a song. Artists say that in general about their music. And with how personal the band has said this album is to them, I'm sure they have some emotional attachment to this record that'll make them want to properly do something with it. Plus, if they want the song to do well, they don't want to mess it up.

Dropping something out of the blue really doesn't work

Because dropping something out of the blue doesn't work, artists release their first single before the album drops. The single itself is supposed to be a promotion. I don't know if I ever encountered a promotion period for the first single of any other artists. So either a) no one else is doing it or B) they are doing it and it doesn't work (at least it never worked for me).

Since that is my personal perception it is probably completely off, so maybe someone can point me to some other first single promotions other artists did?

Also even if their intention is to promote the first single, they are doing a horrible job. Look at their Facebook page. There is no information about what is happening. Either someone screwed up or they are doing very weird things.

I don't follow a ton of bands closely anymore (too much work and kids) but Korn with their latest album posted a clip of lead single Rotting in Vain a week or two before it was released to generate hype (as well as lead singles for at least their previous 4 albums). Nine Inch Nails on the other hand have released the lead singles for the last two full albums completely out of the blue (Discipline with 2008's The Slip and Came Back Haunted with 2013's Hesitation Marks) to promote the album. I guess it really comes down to the label and the band themselves though I remember Linkin Park doing the promo clips before lead single releases since I started following pre-album stuff back in 2005/2006 as a teenager.

Personally I like knowing that a band I like is up to something. It let's me build hype and anticipation for the product instead of just suddenly having it. It doesn't feel "earned" in a sense I guess. To use NIN as an example again - they just released a new EP in December a week after announcing that there was going to be new music. There was no real hype period and we didn't know for sure that Trent Reznor was really up to anything prior to that.

I think what they are doing right now is to get the fans hyped up because we follow them closes and notice the small changes and get engaged with the puzzles and such. I assume it will become all a lot clearer for the casual fans when the actual song release gets closer.

At the end of the day it all comes down how well the music is received by the general audience. Back in the day one song was enough to make you buy the album.

About GATS again, IIRC correctly GATS was the song the band picked and the label picked UIG as the first real single and was promoted way more. GATS was dropped as early as possible to give us something.

Not being a jerk at all, glad someone provided something to discuss!

Yes, GATS being a heavier song and longer did play into it but keep in mind there's a radio edit of it and proper promotion is the key to ANY release, regardless of the format. Dropping something out of the blue really doesn't work unless you are incredibly popular or just don't care about the performance of it, which I guess in their defense they didn't really care with this album. KROQ wasn't ready for the single just like we were. I'm sure the radio edit wasn't ready because they just wanted it to be dropped, and the label wasn't really excited about promoting either.

Well, Twitter and Facebook are pretty much some of the biggest social networks out there. Doing what they're doing is getting it out to the maximum amount of people, I don't think if they posted it on Google+, for example, that it would have that great of an affect on the performance. Plus, with their knowledge of how influential the fanbases are and the LPAmbassadors promotion, they're really doing everything they can to maximize the audience.

True, it is speculation but as someone who makes music I can vouch for it being a very personal thing when wanting to release a song. Artists say that in general about their music. And with how personal the band has said this album is to them, I'm sure they have some emotional attachment to this record that'll make them want to properly do something with it. Plus, if they want the song to do well, they don't want to mess it up.

Ahh, good points! I guess in the end (hehe) there's unique upsides and downsides to different forms of promo. At the end of the day, the music will speak for itself. Hopefully it's great. That'll be the best promo in itself

I don't hear a second guy (which should be Chester) but the guy singing definitely sounds like Mike and if that were the song then HOT DAMN

Actually, I think he's just talking and at some point actually says Chester lol

Edited by linkinepi

I wish I knew enough about reading music to understand how these numbers translate into the melody we heard in the video.

I can confidently say that any perceived connection between that Instagram post and the piano teaser is pure fiction, whether via wishful thinking or outright bullshitting. There is NOTHING on that pad of paper that you could possibly extrapolate into piano notation.

THIS is what shorthand piano tabulature looks like.

The bottom line indicates beat subdivisions, the numbers on the left-hand side indicate which octave to play the notes on the corresponding line in. The notepad in Mike's Instagram post is just a bunch of random numbers without any real pattern to them, while the piano progression in the teaser clip is one progression of six chords that repeats over and over without any variation. I literally can't think of a way to make even the slightest connection between the two.