Summary: LPU 16 & New Album Facebook Livestream

RogueSoul

Linkin Park conducted a massive, 50 minute long live stream on Facebook earlier today where they had a casual discussion about the new album and the upcoming package for LPU 16, due for release later this week. Here's a summary of some interesting points:

• Lots of songwriter contributions were namedropped and talked about. Mike confirmed he worked with Justin Parker in London after he performed as Fort Minor there in 2015, where he learned a different approach to songwriting. Parker taught him to write without any sound in mind - instead, write with meaning in mind instead of anything else.
  • Another mentioned collaboration is Nashville singer Emily Wright. We didn't know about this one before.
  • Mike went on to say Jon Green really related well with Chester. Chester went on to talk about how personal and important this album is to him, citing 'Breaking The Habit' as another song that really hits him hard.
  • "We wanted an album that was honest and raw. Genre didn't really matter."
  • Chester said he felt very depressed last November (his hero Scott Weiland died in December of last year, around the same time), but this November he's feeling very happy.
  • Brad said the fans will be impressed by how different the album sounds.
  • Mike hit a lot of firsts whilst writing the record; he wrote a song specifically for his kids for the first time.
  • Rob is very impressed by the vocals on this album.
  • Phoenix said the band were very ready for a break from touring after wrapping up the European Tour for The Hunting Party last year.
  • Ironically, he also stated the band are really excited to start playing some of these new songs live.
  • The LPU 16 package will consist of a scarf, a handwritten letter by Phoenix, a 10 track CD, and more. No early entry, though. Early entry will be addressed later this week when LPU launches.
  • Mike wanted to include demos of earlier songs on the CD to give fans an idea of how certain ideas came to be. One demo of a song we know that'll be on the CD is 'Bleed It Out'.
  • There's a demo from 2014 on the CD, and three from 2015. None of these have vocals, though. This is the first time since LPU 2.0's 'A.06' that songs from the current album sessions are being released on an LPU CD. They aren't of songs that MADE the album, but demos from earlier in the process.
  • The album is just about wrapped up - the band are touching up the record now.

That's just about it! Hopefully we'll be getting more album details soon. LPU 16 is on our heels, too, so be sure to be on the look out for that. The talk was very insightful, so if you have an hour to spare, head over to Linkin Park's Facebook page and listen to it. While you're there, like our Facebook page so you don't miss any news, and follow us on Twitter, too.

• There's a demo from 2014 on the CD, and three from 2015. None of these have vocals, though. This is the first time since LPU 2.0's 'A.06' that songs from the current album sessions are being released on an LPU CD.

Hell yeah. They wouldn't do that though if the songs didn't completely change so it will be interesting to compare the demos to their final versions on the album. Looking forward to this Bleed It Out demo too. This LPU is gonna kick ass.

Mike also said : ''If you look at some of the actual demo NUMBBBB ummmh like the year numbers''

To me that's a confirmation that we will get a demo for Numb, he messed up.

Lmao I guess we'll find out this week.

I found it odd how they just went from talking about the LPU letter Phoenix wrote to directly into like, "well the vocals on this album were different"...no talk about "yeah hey guys we just finished the album and are performing the final touchups right now, looking to have a single out in a month and the album in april" etc

Been a LONG time coming with this album. I think because we didn't have to wait long in between albums for the past few albums like in the old days. Either way, I'm pumped up now. And LPU16 sounds very awesome. I have wanted demos of songs that actually made the cut for a while now, it's nice that Mike wanted to give us some again this time around, I'm very happy about that. And I've wanted a demo of BIO since like 2007, so this is cool. The sheer fact that a demo of BIO is going to be on this CD makes it better than every CD since LPU11 for me, with LPU9 being the best, IMO.

The best part of the LPU this year is that it will tide us over for the new album. The new CD is almost done and this year was really terrible for news, updates, anything. They're at the end of the process and I expect a single by January. So I think this is what we need to get us there.

The best part of the LPU this year is that it will tide us over for the new album. The new CD is almost done and this year was really terrible for news, updates, anything. They're at the end of the process and I expect a single by January. So I think this is what we need to get us there.

Agreed. Now that I know that the LPU CD this year will have content that I will love, it will tide me over for a while, like past LPU albums have. This year did suck in terms of anything LP related. Sure, we had news about Chester doing shows with bands, that Martin Garrix thing, etc. but none of that was actual Linkin Park news. We had Things In My Jeep, that's it. So this is great, the wait is finally almost over and we have a good LPU CD coming.

The best part of the new LPU album is that we will finally know the direction of the new album, that's the biggest piece of information to me.

Not necessarily at all. Look at some of the demos from previous albums, some of them sound almost 100% different than their respective albums. I don't even really care about that. We're on the verge of getting the new album in 2017 anyways.

I also think he meant that the new 2015 demos don't have any vocals, I don't think he meant the 2014 demo didn't have vocals since that's probably a demo from THP, but I could be wrong about that, even if it was an instrumental.

It's also funny that Chester said Talinda didn't believe him when he said he didn't write the lyrics to some of the tracks. I know LP wanted a very personal album from the get go basically, but I think it's awesome that the band are really hitting home with it, because some of the lyrics on the last few albums have felt like the lyrics were just there because they needed vocals, like they didn't have true passion, even though I'm sure they did.

Edited by Geki

• There's a demo from 2014 on the CD, and three from 2015. None of these have vocals, though. This is the first time since LPU 2.0's 'A.06' that songs from the current album sessions are being released on an LPU CD.

Announcement Service Public/QWERTY.

Also, you guys are MASSIVELY jumping to conclusions by expecting that the 2014/2015 demos included will be demos of tracks that are actually going to be on the album, or even that they'll give an indication as to what the album will sound like. This would be completely unprecedented by Linkin Park standards and I can't imagine that they'd let anything that was even remotely still in consideration for the album come out in any form on an LPU CD months in advance.

Think about it, they're instrumental demos. What is the ONE thing Linkin Park has stressed more than anything else about this entire writing process? "We're focusing on melodies and lyrics first." For instrumental demos to exist from this period they'd either have to be exceptions to the rule, or material that wasn't intended for the album in the first place.

Announcement Service Public/QWERTY.

Also, you guys are MASSIVELY jumping to conclusions by expecting that the 2014/2015 demos included will be demos of tracks that are actually going to be on the album, or even that they'll give an indication as to what the album will sound like. This would be completely unprecedented by Linkin Park standards and I can't imagine that they'd let anything that was even remotely still in consideration for the album come out in any form on an LPU CD months in advance.

Think about it, they're instrumental demos. What is the ONE thing Linkin Park has stressed more than anything else about this entire writing process? "We're focusing on melodies and lyrics first." For instrumental demos to exist from this period they'd either have to be exceptions to the rule, or material that wasn't intended for the album in the first place.

Wow, totally forgot about ASP and Qwerty. Great post with good points. I think you're right here.

Sounds pretty good so far! I think it's it's good for Linkin Park to write about their personal feelings and I kinda like lyrics with these personal themes in it a lot more than I like other lyrics.

I'm too curious about what their new sound and vocal style and everything else on the album will be like, couldn't be more hyped about it.. Also I was hoping that Taka (One Ok Rock) would be somewhere on the record as he was visiting them in the studio - hopefully they will work together again in the future and be sure to record a feature that time ;)

Also can't wait for LPU 16! Stoked for the Bleed it out demo and also stoked for the scarf, always wanted to have a Linkin Park scarf ;)

Lockjaw can count too, right?

I could be wrong but wasn't Lockjaw just a random song and not ever meant for any album in the first place?

Sounds pretty good so far! I think it's it's good for Linkin Park to write about their personal feelings and I kinda like lyrics with these personal themes in it a lot more than I like other lyrics.

I'm too curious about what their new sound and vocal style and everything else on the album will be like, couldn't be more hyped about it.. Also I was hoping that Taka (One Ok Rock) would be somewhere on the record as he was visiting them in the studio - hopefully they will work together again in the future and be sure to record a feature that time ;)

Also can't wait for LPU 16! Stoked for the Bleed it out demo and also stoked for the scarf, always wanted to have a Linkin Park scarf ;)

Maybe One OK Rock feat. Linkin Park :)

I don't expect a Numb demo, it sounded like Mike just stuttered on the word "number" and then said it right after, based on the context of what he was talking to Lorenzo about.

I don't think the 2015 demos will be demos of what ends up on the 7th album, but obviously they are from the writing sessions. The 2014 demo could possibly be a late one from THP writing sessions.

• Ironically, he also stated the band are really excited to start playing some of these new songs live.

Point 1: yeah right

Point 2: fuck yeah

Point 3: holy fucking shit the hype is fucking real

Point 1: yeah right

Point 2: fuck yeah

Point 3: holy fucking shit the hype is fucking real

Thought the same, they always say that the songs are good live...

Also the last point, its kind of unexpected since they talked to us like they are in the middle of the process but they are almost finished.

Thought the same, they always say that the songs are good live...

Also the last point, its kind of unexpected since they talked to us like they are in the middle of the process but they are almost finished.

That's exactly why I'm getting hyped, it's almost finished!

That's exactly why I'm getting hyped, it's almost finished!

To be honest with you, I was not hyped for the album..I don't know. But how they are speaking about the lyrics and that Talinda did not believe that Chester did not write it. I'm like...damn they might have something special in these songs now. Really experimental, crafted and deeply thought Lyrics!

Lockjaw can count too, right?

Meh, I guess so. It wasn't technically on LPU8, it was provided through a download link on the LPU Forum in late 2008, I think. Mike made it with ProTools 8 when it first came out, I don't think it was ever considered for anything other than that, seems like he made it as like a promo kind of track. There is an LPTV episode for it somewhere. But then again, I don't think ASP or Qwerty were considered for MTM, either. A.06 we know did have vocals at one time, but we don't really know much info about the song besides that, so who knows if it was considered for Meteora.

Ultimately, I don't think the 2015 demos are songs that even being considered for the album at this point, much like all of the ones listed above were, which is fine, IMO. It's still Linkin Park music at the end of the day, so fuck it.