#HybridTheory15: Mike Interview on BBC Radio 10/25

stich

I Can't believe that WB passed the chance to re-release HT with some b-sides in order to make more money, I would love to have the HT videos in HD.

Why would they re-release it for a fifteenth? I feel like a fifteenth anniversary is not half as important or regarded as a 10 or 25-year anniversary of an album.

Maybe it's because for the 10th anniversary, ATS was coming out and they had a huge European Tour planned and all. So no time for a celebration. And for the 15th anniversary, the world tour for THP had already ended and the band was free for months. So that's a good time to celebrate it with a show.

Why do people even think that they aren't going to renew the contract? Maybe they like it that way.

I'm thinking the same every time this comes up (for the last 8 years or so). Just because the contracts "ends" doesn't mean that they'll leave. They already renewed it in 2004? because they had to renegotiate it. Everyone always acts like they are completely enslaved by their record label, simply because they supposedly denied webcasts etc.? It seems to me that they have lot of freedom in what they do and that they decide a lot of stuff themselves. I guess going independent is never easy for a band, even when they are successful.

I'm not trying to defend WB here but most of the time we have absolutely no idea what happens behind the scenes, how the industry works and how decisions are made. For every "bad decision" or anything bad that happens the label gets the blame, but never does it occur to most of the people that the band makes stupid decisions/denies us this or that.

It's literally been at least half a decade since I've heard of even the slightest indication that LP isn't happy with WBR. Once Rob Cavallo took over the company after Tom Whalley retired, it was pretty much settled. LP and Rob have gotten along great over the years, hell Rob was one of the co-founders of the failed Level 7 project that Chester was also involved in way back in like 2005.

The issues LP had with WBR during the lead-up to Minutes to Midnight had everything to do with Tom Whalley and his horrendously outdated business models. Once he was out of the picture, those issues went away immediately.