Beijing show on July 26th to be webcasted

Vorist

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, on stage, tomorrow...

"We had to go all the way to our rehearsal studio to rehearse an old song called Don't Stay because of some fucking idiots from LPLive who cheated on the poll!"

Edited by NimaLP

You are the biggest #Dick I have ever met, my god.

I know. :wub:

But really, why is everyone so serious about this? We all know they won't play it even if it wins. Is it just a spite thing? I don't get it.

Edited by SasstielExperience

I remember I used quite some time to vote for the song, and now I feel like it was for nothing, I doubt we can beat Numb now, it's too late. I know that LP wouldn't probably play DS in Beijing, but what if a Chinese journalist would bring it up in an interview, or a fan would bring it up, maybe that would somehow affect LP.

Brad doesn't even own any of his extended-scale baritone guitars that he needs to play Don't Stay anymore. They sold/donated all of them during the ATS/Living Things era.

Really? I know nothing about guitars, admittedly, but that still seems kind of odd. Don't Stay (and whatever other songs necessitate that type of guitar) aside, I wouldn't think he would get rid of all of a unique type of guitar that he owns.

I don't know, again I literally don't know anything about guitars so I could sound really dumb right now. I guess there's a reason that Mike owns more guitars than Brad though.

Edited by Justin

Really? I know nothing about guitars, admittedly, but that still seems kind of odd. Don't Stay (and whatever other songs necessitate that type of guitar) aside, I wouldn't think he would get rid of all of a unique type of guitar that he owns.

Well, to be fair there's not much use for the baritone guitars anymore. He only songs that used those guitars were Don't Stay and Nobody's Listening, both of which I foubt we'll ever hear again live. Theoretically, they COULD tune their guitars done to Drop B, but the baritone gives the strings extra tension so they don't become loose and spaghetti like (thats what happens to them as you tune lower and lower). Because of that loss of tension the chords will become more and more muddy, making the whole performance sloppy.

Well, to be fair there's not much use for the baritone guitars anymore. He only songs that used those guitars were Don't Stay and Nobody's Listening, both of which I doubt we'll ever hear again live.

Yeah but what if there comes a point where LP winds up writing a song that would make use of that type of guitar in the future? He'd have to go out and buy another lol. I mean I guess if it's THAT rare that it's ever been used before it probably won't happen again anyway.

Yeah but what if there comes a point where LP winds up writing a song that would make use of that type of guitar in the future? He'd have to go out and buy another lol. I mean I guess if it's THAT rare that it's ever been used before it probably won't happen again anyway.

That's true, but I don't really see them going back to that any time soon. Drop B/Drop A stuff is typically like, sludge metal to, like, nu-metal. Look at Slipknot, AFAIK most of their heavier stuff is Drop A (especially on their latest album). I don't really see LP taking that direction.

Well, to be fair there's not much use for the baritone guitars anymore. He only songs that used those guitars were Don't Stay and Nobody's Listening, both of which I foubt we'll ever hear again live. Theoretically, they COULD tune their guitars done to Drop B, but the baritone gives the strings extra tension so they don't become loose and spaghetti like (thats what happens to them as you tune lower and lower). Because of that loss of tension the chords will become more and more muddy, making the whole performance sloppy.

There's also the whole issue of wider frets on guitars with longer scales. That's the whole reason Brad plays With You and Runaway on non-baritone guitars even though most of the strings are tuned lower than the tuning Don't Stay is in - he recorded those songs on a standard-scale 7-string and played them live that way for the first couple years of the band's career. So when he made the switch, he stuck with a regular-scale 6-string and ditched the high E string. He had just gotten his hands on one of the new Ibanez XL series baritone guitars when they were recording Meteora, so he ended up sticking with that model for live performances of the songs he recorded using that guitar. It's just a "feel" thing where you get used to playing a song on a particular type of neck, and changing to something different is kind of like re-learning the song again.

But yeah, Brad had 4 of those guitars. One was donated to the Hard Rock Cafe in Denver, one was sold at the MFR auction that accompanied the Mayan Theatre show in August of 2011, and one was sold at the MFR auction for Typhoon Haiyan relief in 2013. That leaves one that isn't accounted for, but I really doubt the band still has it at this point.

Edited by Astat