Los Angeles, CA show being webcasted via VyRT

RogueSoul

What a joke. I'm so happy that LP is touring with this band for just this tour, after the tour I will be able to put the bad memory of 30STM behind me.

What makes this a joke lol? Some people need an incentive to do something, and it's pretty much only been MARS-related. This is something that will cater towards LP fans now.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only issue I see with this (and to a lesser extent, the stuff with Chideo lately) is that all of the recent exclusive paid content is being done independently of LPU. With the price of an LPU membership these days, it sure feels like a ripoff to see this kind of stuff done on other platforms.

I don't have any issue with VyRT itself or the price they're charging, though. Ultimately, we're getting something that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. If you want to pay for it, go ahead. If you don't, don't. Odds are it'll be ripped anyway (yes, it's possible - there's a torrent of a webcast rip of the 30STM VyRT live-in-studio performance from 2012, which wasn't made available for download afterward as far as I'm aware).

Edited by Astat

(yes, it's possible - there's a torrent of a webcast rip of the 30STM VyRT live-in-studio performance from 2012, which wasn't made available for download afterward as far as I'm aware).

They re-released the 2012 VyRTs but your point is valid nonetheless.

To those talking about it being ripped, please don't, so far none of the VyRTs have ended up on torrents or other sharing websites, this is what makes VyRT a special experience, this is a small company and if you want to be so inconsiderate to not want to pay such a small price to see the show the but want it for free then fine. All they are trying to do is cover the costs of producing this event as so far this is the biggest event the site has hosted. And I also can't wait for the joke of so many rude linkin park fans to be over too.

Thanks

Just on a parallel note, how would you like it if your site got opened up to the whole internet and anyone could comment anything, that's what ripping the stream basically does to that site

Edited by ctgerrard

It's a nice thing, if they need to cover their costs thats just fine but I absolutely hate streaming services that make it harder to record the stream (by using encryption, usually used by paid services). Special experience or not, this needs to be preserved.

I still think that $15 is pretty expensive.

$15 for a platform that a band is doing completely independently is not a lot to me, considering this is the most expensive concert tour Linkin Park has ever done. No idea how they are charging more than LP/Incubus for LP/Mars considering Mars is NOWHERE near Incubus's status as a band but fuck it, the people pay it anyway. I'll throw down for it for sure.

I emailed LP management and got no response if they'd offer a download for a $25 package. Of course, it's a given fact that if LP is involved, it will be recorded and offered for download all across the web. There hasn't been one webcast ever as far as I'm aware (besides maybe the one 2001 Florida one we are still looking into) that has LP on it that wasn't up for download ASAP afterwards, lol. Too many people care about the band so it'll be on YouTube, lp-bits, etc ASAP right after. I have no problem with that and I support that 100%, but it's also very important to support Mars here with the VyRT platform and buy the stream so that LP management sees it and says "oh, that was successful, a lot of people liked that, maybe we can do this again with another LP show sometime" instead of them looking at it and saying "lol, told you the LP fans don't give a fuck about DSPs or live shows, let's never do anything like this ever again."

Buy it, support it, record it, share it, let's jam.

No idea how they are charging more than LP/Incubus for LP/Mars considering Mars is NOWHERE near Incubus's status as a band but fuck it, the people pay it anyway. I'll throw down for it for sure.

Very true. Incubus' status as a band is much higher than Mars, so I'm not sure how it could all cost more, either, especially since Honda Civic Tour had the pyro and everything, as well as the expensive video screens, etc. This is an interesting point, though, because I was just reading an interview with Chester the other day and he said the most expensive tour they ever did was the 2008 US Arena Tour, but that is maybe only because of the 360 stage and such.

The thing is, let's face it, right now, Thirty Seconds To Mars is more relevant than Incubus. Don't get me wrong, I love Incubus, but do they really have anything going for them right now? MARS has an Oscar-winner for a lead singer and has a huge single out right now. Don't forget MARS is independent now, so they have to do manage all the marketing/promotion/touring costs themselves, while still apparently a million dollars in debt. Money's going to have to add up $15 dollars is nothing compared to what they could really charge for this.

Also, as ctgerrard said, as much as I wouldn't like this to get recorded/leaked, it probably will. The only thing is you can share it as you want but there's no telling how long it'll take before it gets taken down. They're really quick on that.

So, instead of complaining about something that's beneficial to us as a fan community and beneficial to a new platform that can easily do the same kind of thing at another time, let's have positive thoughts.

Really? Wow that's a very interesting. I thought HCT would have costed a lot more than the 2008 winter arena tour. That tour wasn't even that big. And a good bit of it was affected by Chester being sick.

Yes, but this interview was also from 2009, so I'm sure they have done more expensive tours since then. I think a big reason the ticket prices were so much on this tour is because Mars was a support act, which sucks. I really didn't enjoy their performance that much and I personally don't really care that Jared Leto won an Oscar, because that has nothing to do with their music or even their band in general.

Very true. Incubus' status as a band is much higher than Mars, so I'm not sure how it could all cost more.

No idea how they are charging more than LP/Incubus for LP/Mars considering Mars is NOWHERE near Incubus's status as a band but fuck it, the people pay it anyway.

I think you're seriously underestimating Mars's popularity. They're significantly more popular and relevant than Incubus nowadays. Does that mean they're better? Hell no, but they're definitely more popular as of now.

so far none of the VyRTs have ended up on torrents or other sharing websites

100% untrue, as I pointed out 2 posts above yours.

this is a small company and if you want to be so inconsiderate to not want to pay such a small price to see the show the but want it for free then fine.

People obviously are going to pay for it, otherwise there would be no way for a rip to occur in the first place. Also, with this being a broadcast that won't be repeated, how exactly is anyone losing money on a rip of it ending up available after the fact? They've already got the money of everyone who's willing to pay it. That's not going to change, whether it gets ripped or not. There's no 100% guarantee of it being ripped in the first place, so if a rip DOESN'T show up, then it's the fault of the people who didn't pay for it so they could rip it themselves. It's no different than how Linkin Park has stopped releasing recordings of their concerts, so the task of making recordings available is now on the fans. This is something LPLive has been very vocal about on this tour. If people were banking on a recording of a show and didn't get one, they should have bought a ticket and recorded it themselves. EXACTLY the same thing.

And I also can't wait for the joke of so many rude linkin park fans to be over too.

Funny you say that, considering there's a giant administrator-started topic on the front page of the VyRT discussion boards that's essentially telling Echelon members to quit being douchebags to Linkin Park fans who join the site. We're not the ones getting yelled at, you are.

how would you like it if your site got opened up to the whole internet and anyone could comment anything

Yeah, what a TERRIBLE idea...oh wait, LPLive IS open to the entire Internet, and anyone CAN comment on anything.

Just on a parallel note, how would you like it if your site got opened up to the whole internet and anyone could comment anything, that's what ripping the stream basically does to that site

You know how the internet and public forums work? Because it doesn't seem like you do.

My biggest with the whole vyrt thing is that there is no download involved. I pretty much pay as much as for a live DVD but I only get the chance to see it once (at a terrible time as an European). Make it downloadable or available as a VOD and I would definitely pay for it.

Edited by graveguard

You know how the internet and public forums work? Because it doesn't seem like you do.

My biggest with the whole vyrt thing is that there is no download involved. I pretty much pay as much as for a live DVD but I only get the chance to see it once (at a terrible time as an European). Make it downloadable or available as a VOD and I would definitely pay for it.

I know exactly how they work and to get on here you need to answer questions about linkin park then get accepted by an admin, therefore not open publicly. and it is Linkin park or the record label stopping it from being downloadable so take that up with them

I know exactly how they work and to get on here you need to answer questions about linkin park then get accepted by an admin, therefore not open publicly. and it is Linkin park or the record label stopping it from being downloadable so take that up with them

No. You register and have any ability to post on the forums. Nothing else involved. If you had to answer questions and had to be unlocked you did something wrong.

No. You register and have any ability to post on the forums. Nothing else involved. If you had to answer questions and had to be unlocked you did something wrong.

no all i did was try to sign up and it gave me a question and then had to wait a full day for an admin to accept me

Auto approval of new accounts is not enabled anymore because we've had robots sign up like 150 accounts overnight so it's not worth the hassle to delete them. Dmitry approves new members once every 24 hours now. So yeah you could wait up to 24 hours depending on when you register. This is a bit different than the past, when signups were instantaneous. Sorry...blame hackers/robots/spam people like Legend, etc.

We are always going through a struggle/battle and are debating on what exactly we should keep visible to the public on the forum. And some of it has to do with LP management spying/looking around the forum too (in case anyone was wondering). Newswire is always visible to the public....I think STP is too but we made the rest only visible to members. It changes sometimes. Regardless, registering doesn't take long at all and it's free lol, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. FYI this is NOT done by us to encourage new members to sign up/to get higher membership numbers. That doesn't matter to me at all. We've had some instances where we've felt the need to keep things semi-private (see my second sentence in this paragraph).

• 2 weeks later...

As said before the lack of download is due to Linkin Park's Record Label, not VyRT

I know, but the $40 ticket really doesn't seem worth it. I mean, for nearly triple the price, you get an orange badge and you get to watch the post-show thing extra. That seems like it's worth $25 at most.