Lessons learned from Living Things (Mike comments)

Half of the people on the site who say they hate LT are just jumping on the "bandwagon"... if there really even is one. I've never heard anyone give any constructive criticism of the songs other than "They suck", or complaining that they aren't heavy enough :/

I'd take LT over "muh angry teenage feelings boo-hoo" any day B )

Half of the people on the site who say they hate LT are just jumping on the "bandwagon"... if there really even is one. I've never heard anyone give any constructive criticism of the songs other than "They suck", or complaining that they aren't heavy enough :/

I'd take LT over "muh angry teenage feelings boo-hoo" any day B )

Agreed. I've said that I loved LIVING THINGS since day one and I can honestly say that is true. It's a great album. It is not their BEST album, but it's definitely great. I've noticed that a lot of LP fans will just agree with whatever the popular opinion is. For example, ATS is often praised as the greatest album of all time and I've seen a lot of people over the years just agree with the ''big'' people in the LP community about that. When it first came out, there were a lot of people who hated it, just like with every LP album. Ironically, when LIVING THINGS first came out, if you read some of the comments on LPL/LPA, you can see tons of people saying that they love it and think it might be the best LP album, etc, but now since the popular opinion is that ''LIVING THINGS sucks'', you see a lot of people agreeing with that. I can honestly say that a lot of people do not like me in the LP community because I will say how I feel about anything and have unpopular opinions about a lot of things. For example, Minutes To Midnight is my favorite album and I consider it LP's best work at this point. How many do you see saying that? How many people do you see saying that they enjoyed DBS a lot and that they love LIVING THINGS?

I still can't see how people are saying ATS is so great. What's so special about it? I think it's crap and Living Things is not much better. I do like the album, but not nearly as much as the others.

Edited by Southpaw818

I still can't see how people are saying ATS is so great. What's so special about it? I think it's crap and Living Things is not much better. I do like the album, but not nearly as much as the others.

ATS is great, although it is my least favorite album out of the current 6, I consider all LP music to be great.

I can honestly say that a lot of people do not like me in the LP community because I will say how I feel about anything and have unpopular opinions about a lot of things.

that's so not true. it's rather your attitude and the way you word your opinion when someone doesn't share yours. it seems to me that you have a very hard time accepting different views. no one bothers which album you like the most.

I made a "Living Things Ep" from all the album songs in a new order that flows pretty damn good. half of the album is pretty forgettable to me and it even contains some of their worst songs ever (Burn It Down, In My Remains). then again I'm really enjoying songs that get an indefinitely amount of hate (Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks). I was never a big fan of ATS as it contains sections of pure boredom. still it probably was the first more "complex" album for a lot of LP fans in their lives so it opened a door for them to find access to a lot of really great albums which they wouldn't have touched in the first place, so I can understand why many of them cherish it the way they do.

that's so not true. it's rather your attitude and the way you word your opinion when someone doesn't share yours. it seems to me that you have a very hard time accepting different views. no one bothers which album you like the most.

I made a "Living Things Ep" from all the album songs in a new order that flows pretty damn good. half of the album is pretty forgettable to me and it even contains some of their worst songs ever (Burn It Down, In My Remains). then again I'm really enjoying songs that get an indefinitely amount of hate (Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks). I was never a big fan of ATS as it contains sections of pure boredom. still it probably was the first more "complex" album for a lot of LP fans in their lives so it opened a door for them to find access to a lot of really great albums which they wouldn't have touched in the first place, so I can understand why many of them cherish it the way they do.

I couldn't care less about other bands or artists, so ATS may be the the only ''complex'' album I will ever enjoy and I'm ok with that.

My biggest gripe with Living Things is that a lot of the songs on it sound like they SHOULD be solid rock songs, but the production on the album pushed everything in more of a pop-oriented direction. Just listen to how the guitars on the live version of Lost in the Echo punch you in the face, then compare it to how fizzy and weak they sound on the album. They pushed all the synths and sampled beats to the front of the mix like they did on A Thousand Suns, but Living Things wasn't nearly as progressive of an album, so the songs just came out sounding like generic pop-rock.

It reminds me a lot of the production on Chris Cornell's Scream. The songs were mostly good, but Timbaland doesn't know crap about producing a rock record, so that record constantly sounds like it can't decide if it wants to be a rock album or an R&B album.

Living Things had video game synth like production. Burn It Down's instrumental might as well be 16 bit. Like Astat said, the album could sound heavier if the guitars were higher in the mix. I guess it was there way of giving the Hybrid Theory/Meteora style of music (aka the first four tracks of the album) a modernized, "fresh" sound. Songs like Roads Untraveled and I'll Be Gone are mixed perfectly having electronics in the forefront but not swallowing them whole. For pun's sake, I guess the guitars got lost in the echo when Linkin Park tried to go down roads untraveled.

Also; Lies Greed Misery does not sound like a stepping stone. It's almost all electronic, and even though it has screaming and a chant like chorus, it still reminds of Meteora with it's super overproduction and rap verse/rock chorus/screamed bridge format.

Edited by Sonic

I'll never understand the universal hate for LT, and the admiration for ATS within the LP community. To me, it's the other way around.

I can understand why people admire ATS. I just simply do not understand the hate on LT at all. It's a fucking great album with great song writing and good lyrics. Just because LP went back to writing more normal songs with normal structures, etc, people shit all over it. Honestly though, I feel like ANYTHING the band put out after ATS, people would have shit all over, even THP, just because it simply would have been compared with the almighty ATS. ATS is a good album but god damn, expand your horizons a bit or wake up in reality, this is LINKIN PARK, the same band who wrote In The End, Breaking The Habit, Numb, What I've Done, New Divide, etc, they are a mainstream band who writes pop-rock songs or mainstream hits, it's not gonna be all like ATS was.

• 1 month later...

I really liked Living Things when it came out, I just don't think it's got as much depth as, well, any of the other records they've released. A few of the songs feel a bit obvious, the band clearly not pushing themselves.

Plus Lies Greed Misery is horrible, which I've said from first hearing it haha.

Lost in the echo is my favorite LP song.Yes there are some bad songs from this album like UIB which is my least favorite lp songs. But it has masterpieces like lost in the echo.Also ill be gone is beautiful.

@Ducko LGM rocks live even though studio version is not good.

I don't like LT and I love ATS. Feel free to hate me :D

I dont like ATS.Feel free to hate me.Seriously everyone has an opinion and i respect them.

Also in top ten websites like the top tens where people vote LT has done well to secure 3rd spot.

I've been thinking lately, maybe LT is actually their ''worse'' album, even though they are all A+, IMO. ATS is probably better all around in terms of musically, lyrically, vocally, etc. But I do enjoy LT and all of the songs on the album. It doesn't suck by any means. I've also noticed lately how EDM influenced a lot of the music on LT is, way more ''electronic'' or ''techno'' as some people say, than ATS was.