Top 5 least favorite LP songs

1. Shadow of the Day

2. Not Alone

3. The Messenger

4. Lies Greed Misery

5. New Divide

The first three songs are over-earnest melodramatic lowest common denominator trash.

LGM has never clicked with me. It just doesn't work in my eyes.

New Divide is the most cliched LP radio single possible, really. It's just so obvious it annoys me.

Edited by Ducko

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

01. By Myself

I was never ''big'' into songs like By Myself and Nobody's Listening back in the day, and I rarely (if ever) listen to them nowadays. Not sure what I dislike about them, can't really say.

I would have had you down as liking By Myself - all dat screaming!

I've never liked the studio version of Cure For The Itch.

I way prefer the PR08 version to the studio edition.

it's way darker and I like the alterations made to the samples. I think the added sample over Joe's later scratch part (It's probably a vocal clip, but it sounds like whale song or something) way cooler than the original.

mine are...

1 from each album -

Runaway

Easier To Run

No More Sorrow

The Messenger

Until It Breaks

overall -

Runaway

Easier To Run

Nobody's Listening

No More Sorrow

Until It Breaks

Runaway's chorus is just really simple and irritating, it's a decent track rhythmically, and I like the samples/breakdown, but it's too ham-fisted for my liking, I feel like it doesn't say anything of any significance, just words (it was a close call with Forgotten here).

Easier To Run is their whiniest, I love the rap refrain and the way the chorus feels like it has a distance, or scope to it, but as a whole, it's the one I skip most off Meteora.

Nobody's Listening isn't the most riveting song ever, I like the 2nd verse and the "heart full of pain" bit, but it's a bit dull overall.

No More Sorrow insists on itself... I only ever listen to the Long Intro on the live version, but then usually skip the rest, it bores me.

The Messenger is, in my opinion, a weak album closer, and I don't think Chester soundds very good on it. it exposes him struggling to hit top notes and it's ... painful listening.

Until It Breaks feels too much like three bits jammed together, I like parts of it, but they could have done something better with those three parts. it feels rushed and under-cooked. plus I always feel like Mike isn't keeping up with the beat during the rep sections and it's frustrating to listen to.

I would have had you down as liking By Myself - all dat screaming!

I way prefer the PR08 version to the studio edition.

it's way darker and I like the alterations made to the samples. I think the added sample over Joe's later scratch part (It's probably a vocal clip, but it sounds like whale song or something) way cooler than the original.

mine are...

1 from each album -

Runaway

Easier To Run

No More Sorrow

The Messenger

Until It Breaks

overall -

Runaway

Easier To Run

Nobody's Listening

No More Sorrow

Until It Breaks

Runaway's chorus is just really simple and irritating, it's a decent track rhythmically, and I like the samples/breakdown, but it's too ham-fisted for my liking, I feel like it doesn't say anything of any significance, just words (it was a close call with Forgotten here).

Easier To Run is their whiniest, I love the rap refrain and the way the chorus feels like it has a distance, or scope to it, but as a whole, it's the one I skip most off Meteora.

Nobody's Listening isn't the most riveting song ever, I like the 2nd verse and the "heart full of pain" bit, but it's a bit dull overall.

No More Sorrow insists on itself... I only ever listen to the Long Intro on the live version, but then usually skip the rest, it bores me.

The Messenger is, in my opinion, a weak album closer, and I don't think Chester soundds very good on it. it exposes him struggling to hit top notes and it's ... painful listening.

Until It Breaks feels too much like three bits jammed together, I like parts of it, but they could have done something better with those three parts. it feels rushed and under-cooked. plus I always feel like Mike isn't keeping up with the beat during the rep sections and it's frustrating to listen to.

I agree except I love NMS and ETR.

I think NMS is likable in the US due to its obvious connections to Bush.

We went to war with Bush, so I think it applies to the UK too.

thematically, it speaks to what I came to understand about the whole 2000/01 "special relationship" between the UK and US, but I still found the song overly preachy

We went to war with Bush, so I think it applies to the UK too.

thematically, it speaks to what I came to understand about the whole 2000/01 "special relationship" between the UK and US, but I still found the song overly preachy

Fair point, but I see it as his deception mainly inside the U.S., not giving the people a voice, lying to them and not seeing his mistakes when everyone else is, all for his own fortunes, hence the "I see liars and thieves abuse power with greed"

Fair point, but I see it as his deception mainly inside the U.S., not giving the people a voice, lying to them and not seeing his mistakes when everyone else is, all for his own fortunes, hence the "I see liars and thieves abuse power with greed"

we have alot of similar stuff: WMD documents turned out to be falsified and/or elaborated upon + the man who wrote them comittted suicide not long before the truth came out, it was a big, big mess.

It's of course a big thing that Bush was such a symbol of fuckery in the US, but that doesnt mean that only the US could write songs about it.

what makes you like those two? I just ... fail to see their appeal

NMS is great because it's just heavy and in your face, and I just love everything about the song. The lyrics actually aren't about Bush at all, as I stated in the interpretations thread. I like it mostly because Chester sings the whole song (like a lot of MTM) and because the guitar and drums are just epic.

As for ETR, the lyrics are really amazing to me and I just think it's a great track. I don't like overly complex songs, I like the simple structure LP is known for in writing songs. If wanted to listen to that type of band, I'd listen to Muse. I'm happy LP returned to their old structures with LT.

NMS is great because it's just heavy and in your face, and I just love everything about the song. The lyrics actually aren't about Bush at all, as I stated in the interpretations thread. I like it mostly because Chester sings the whole song (like a lot of MTM) and because the guitar and drums are just epic.

As for ETR, the lyrics are really amazing to me and I just think it's a great track. I don't like overly complex songs, I like the simple structure LP is known for in writing songs. If wanted to listen to that type of band, I'd listen to Muse. I'm happy LP returned to their old structures with LT.

I back these. I love the buildup of No More Sorrow, even without the live extensions. I probably prefer it to Given Up on record actually, it feels more mature lyrically and has a better chorus in my opinion. ETR is essentially a less good version of Crawling, but it's still great, and Rob's drum work is fantastic on that track. The atmosphere in the verses is also really cool.

• 2 weeks later...