Surface Remix Project: 'A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES'

Skipees

Guitar totally sounds like WID. :D

I can tell everyone right now that it's going to sound ridiculously close to "What I've Done", not that it's a bad thing, but geez.. the song is so similar, especially when you start stripping it down.

That is mostly because What I've Done and A Light that Never Comes share the same chord progression. Try singing What I've Done on top of the piano.

Edited by ThePretender

That is mostly because What I've Done and A Light that Never Comes share the same chord progression. Try singing What I've Done on top of the piano.

That's what I was referring to, and the same with Burning In The Skies, New Divide, and I'll Be Gone. Except the song is WAY too similar to What I've Done, down to the fact that it's played in the same key and the chorus guitar parts are so close.

I'm going to attempt to make a more "Minutes To Midnight" styled remix of the song, because I am not really sure I can make the song heavy, but I can try. For one thing, I can tell everyone right now that it's going to sound ridiculously close to "What I've Done", not that it's a bad thing, but geez.. the song is so similar, especially when you start stripping it down. There are so many little issues in the song like backing vocals being out of sync with the lead vocals at parts, the guitar work literally being slapped together, idk I feel they didn't spend enough time on it. Steve's EDM stuff completely hides most of the mistakes, though. I hope I can make it before the deadline (are we sure it's the 20th?) I want to finally participate in one.

Can't wait to hear your remix. A MTM sounding ALTNC would be awesome, IMO.

I'm REALLY early in the process of creating it, but I think my remix is going to be a "purposely anti-climatic" kind of thing, where it's heavy where you'd expect it to be soft and soft where you'd expect it to be heavy. I'm also going to try to find a way to mix a really organic, guitar-driven instrumental with vocals that heavily emphasize the vocoder parts. I may also sing on it.

Can't wait to hear your remix. A MTM sounding ALTNC would be awesome, IMO.

Well, I had just finished sitting here for the night making up my remix, and recording guitar parts, for 9 HOURS, and I have no idea how I came up with what I did, but it is NOT heavy, or MTM sounding, so I apologize for getting your "hopes up", Geki.. lol. I tried pitch shifting some of the vocals so I could change up the progression so I wouldn't have "What I've Done", but it was a nightmare. So I tried other stuff, and I think playing the vocoder and piano together got to me (I absolutely love the effect in the song, it was a perfect addition), it is ridiculously different from the original, and alot.. simpler? I can't even put it under a genre.. Lmao. There is no EDM or dubstep whatsoever, it's raw. And this is only a rough cut, I still have a long time to tweak things, or just throw the whole thing away. The song just has nothing going for it to be a heavy/rock song IMO. I look forward to having you guys hearing it when the time comes.

A Light That Never Comes (Darkened by Switchface vs Dreamulacrum)

Here's my contest submission. I've combined the styles of my two projects to make a unique remix. Kinda abstract, but I tried to make it as cohesive as possible. Hope you guys enjoy it. Comments and feedback, as always, are more than welcome.

Nice! I see you've got some votes.

A Light That Never Comes (Darkened by Switchface vs Dreamulacrum)

Here's my contest submission. I've combined the styles of my two projects to make a unique remix. Kinda abstract, but I tried to make it as cohesive as possible. Hope you guys enjoy it. Comments and feedback, as always, are more than welcome.

Dude your submission is awesome! Congratulations!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/steveaoki/status/420714235782393856

Steve Aoki: "MUSIC UPDATE: @LinkinPark & Steve Aoki #ALightThatNeverComes Remix Package coming out January 21 on @DimMakRecs"

Earth release:

1. A Light That Never Comes (Main Version)

2. A Light That Never Comes (Instrumental)

3. A Light That Never Comes (Acapella)

4. A Light That Never Comes (Rick Rubin Reboot)

5. A Light That Never Comes (JH Mix)

6. A Light That Never Comes (Twoloud Remix)

7. A Light That Never Comes (Winner Remix)

+

8. A Light That Never Comes (Vicetone Remix)

9. A Light That Never Comes (Steve Aoki Extended Mix)

• 7 months later...