For those who had the chance to see the ATS interludes live

I saw them once on the 2011 North American arena tour. I could have done without them, they kind of seemed like ways to fill time/give the band breaks. They were interesting on the album to make it flow together, but a live setting is different - it's less about flow, more about individual songs.

Some (The Requiem, Empty Spaces) made sense because the former opened the show and the latter was short. But others (The Radiance, Fallout) took up time that could have been used otherwise, and we basically just stood there during them. Even if they would have been taken out and replaced by nothing in the set, I think I would have preferred them talking to us during that time.

The crowd wasn't all that great for any of the show, but I don't think anyone really cared about the interludes from what I remember. Overall, they were not as useful live as they were on the album.

I think my opinion on this is probably going to be one of the only positive ones lol.

The Requiem - Great. I think it's one of the best intros the band has.

The Radiance - Having this after numb with the speech and The Catalyst lyrics was the most memorable part of the concerts I saw it in.

Empty Spaces - No comment. It's hardly time consuming.

Jornada Del Muerto - One of my favourite LP tracks.

Wisdom, Justice, and Love- If I'm honest, not one that I miss.

Fallout - I like it as an intro to The Catalyst.

I don't think there were any complaints from anyone in the crowd. Everyone is just happy to be at the show lol.

I think the interludes give the concert that sort of "epic" feel. Then again, this is all opinion, so it's different for everyone.

I think the interludes give the concert that sort of "epic" feel.

That's a good point, they did. Especially the Requiem opening, it felt like something big was about to happen, more so than most intros.

I saw 5 shows where they played the interludes. At the first one it was cool (something new is always cool ^^) but now looking back I don't need them at all. The only thing I would still enjoy is "The Requiem" opening. It had that epic feeling especially indoors when it's completely dark + the V-stage with the rotatable screen thing and the light ray from behind. Awesome!

One of the best openings the band did imo.

i never saw any of these so this is simply me talking from a detached viewpoint.

I always thought that playing the W&K intro speech on the Requiem show intro was cool, but it sounded really silly to then stop that and go into Papercut. it's one of those moments on the album that you know is the intro to a particular track, so why use that little snippet out of context?

the band wouldn't, for example, play the intro to Faint and then suddenly go "nope!" and whack out Breaking the Habit :lol:

I agree it keeps the crowd on its toes, and it's a tactic that can be brutally hilarious with the right songs -

but LP didn't play it as some sort of band/fan joke, so it's just a bit strange in my opinion - what do you guys think?

I saw them at Sonisphere and altrough the interludes aren't really necessary, I'm not bored when they play it;

The Requiem - I've been overexicted when they start to play it, since it was my first LP show

Jornada Del Muerto - Very cool musically and the japanese lyrics makes a different feeling

The Radiance - very cool piano interlude with the speech and Mike's vocal part; a nice change to Numb

Empty Space - didn't really add nothing to the show just like Foreword

My opinion is that was been played to try to create that sort of epic feeling and connection just like on the album, but for me it's a little bit of a fail apart The Requiem (without W&K speech if the whole song isn't the opener)

I saw them once in the south american tour, :D at the very beggining of the ATS world tour.

The requiem was absolutely cool, it really fits for an epic start of a show, people went nuts screaming since it was the first time the band played here, like, ever. i think it really flowed well to mario savio's speech and then wretches & kings.

The radiance really shines live, I like it a lot more than studio version. the piano and the additional "the catalyst" lyrics with vocoder really set a mood. it was refreshing after having a plain piano intro for like 3 years, with no changes whatsoever. the people was really quiet on this one.

Empty Spaces didn't had an impact at all. maybe it just makes when they come for me blends better with the show. but as everyone said, it's barely time consuming. after all the few times WTCFM was played in LT world tour, still had empty spaces

Jornada del muerto it's a good track for making a transition between the first third of the show to the second one (wich had the slower songs in both mtm and ats tours), unfortunately the first few times that the band played it it really didn't sound well. in particular, mike had problems on his mic during the show so it was just chester when I saw it and wasn't good. other shows had better performances of it.

Wisdom, Justice and Love its weird. at first i didn't liked it, but it growed on me. it's another songs that makes the show flow better (even tough it's an energy killer) but it really represented what LP wanted for the ATS tour. chester standing solemny hearing the speech it's just... this shit is serious.

I didn't really mind about Fallout, neither most of the people did. I was happy to see some lyrics of Burning in the skies live tough, since it wasnt played until australia. it works as an opening for the catalyst, but not as an show opener like when it was used on london.

I hope this gives you some idea about it.

1) I wouldn't say I enjoyed them. They were kind of cool, but a huge downer in energy and the band just kind of stood there during them. They didn't fit with any LP music except for ATS songs.

2) The crowd didn't really do anything. There wasn't much to do during them. No one really sang along to The Radiance or Jornada Del Muerto or Fallout. Pretty boring.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw just three shows with these (besides Empty Spaces) interludes. Sunrise, Tampa and Atlanta 2011 (first 3 full USA shows for ATS)

The Requiem - Didn't think it was anything special when I heard the 2010 recordings but at the Sunrise show it was pretty cool with how they had the screen panels behind the stage and all. Really a sweet way to start a show. I was a fan of it for the ATS Tour but after that, I didn't miss it. Not that special but definitely a cool intro. I prefer WID ambo, Wake/GU, or NMS long intro to start the show.

The Radiance - Second best piano breakdown piece after Numb. Still biased towards the 2009 one...the Numb/BTH transition with the "buildup" intro. Sent the crowd into a frenzy. Radiance was a really special part of the show and the only part I really liked mid-set. Most of the stuff before this song put me asleep lol.

Empty Spaces - Keep it with WTCFM. Makes no sense to remove it when WTCFM is played. It's cool but I wish they'd like triple the length and add some awesome WTCFM intro with it or something.

Jornada Del Muerto - One of the low points of the set for me. Not a fan at all. Really didn't like JDM/WFTE in 2011. Thankfully WFTE improved in 2012. The JDM screen visuals are cool but I'd rather have another full song instead of this in the set.

Wisdom, Justice, and Love - I could do without ever seeing this again ever. JDM and WJL are really boring to me.

Fallout - I think they should always play this before Catalyst. I liked it.

I agree with Geki's number 1 point. They fit with the ATS songs I guess but I think they should only play Fallout and Empty Spaces still.

It really varies depending on which interlude you're talking about and how the setlist is constructed.

The Requiem - This was a really good show opener, but it pretty much served its purpose during the ATS touring cycle and doesn't need to be brought back.

The Radiance - Referring to the live version that typically followed Numb, this was my favorite out of all the interludes, but again, having what is essentially a teaser of part of The Catalyst in the middle of the current live show wouldn't make much sense.

Empty Spaces - This one, on the other hand, really has no reason not to be played, both due to its length and how weird When They Come For Me would sound without it. Unless WTCFM gets a new intro at some point, this should always precede it (see: Foreword/Don't Stay).

Jornada Del Muerto - This was my favorite interlude on the album and I love the backdrop they used for it during the live show, but I honestly never liked the way it sounded live (something about Chester singing the harmony parts on this one just never sounded right to me). Waiting For the End also works just fine without it.

Wisdom, Justice, and Love - For the particular show I went to on the ATS tour, this was a bit of a head-scratcher as an encore opener, but I really liked it in the context of the main setlist at other performances. Probably best left out of future performances though, both because Iridescent works great as a standalone song, and because of the licensing issues with the King family.

Fallout - I really think this one should be put back in the setlist for a couple reasons. One, it kind of serves as two songs, both as its own piece and as a snippet of Burning in the Skies, which doesn't seem likely to be brought back any time soon. Two, the way the current setlist typically flows (going from the LOATR/SOTD/Irirdescent medley into The Catalyst), there's really no reason NOT to play it, as it would essentially follow the sequencing of the album. Going from the Iridescent outro straight into The Catalyst makes it sound like my CD player skipped a track!

Not going into detail for all of them:

The Requiem - Was a great opener for Wretches, people were really confused.

The Radiance - I liked that too. From the 4 times is saw it in 2010, there were a couple of malfunctions and the vocoder wasn't always working, they fixed that in the DSPs later.

Jornada Del Muerto - My favourite interlude, the visuals are just fucking awesome, the blue sky that turns into an atomic explosion. Gave me goose bumps every time I saw it, the bass was massive, the whole place was shaking.

I wonder how that song felt for the Japanese crowds.