Should LP renew their contract with Warner?

I don't think the "fail" of Living Things is to blame mostly on the promotion. There was a lot and very good promotion for the album I'd say.

Whatever they decide to do, I highly doubt it's the "miracle" some expect it to be.

Don't forget before they got their record deal with Warner, every single label (in the universe as they might say) turned them down and they only got the deal because of Jeff Blue who already knew them.

On a side note in November last year Metallica parted with Warner and aquired the rights to all their master tapes.

I believe at this point it doesn't matter if they resign with Warner or not. If they do, fine. But LP would make it just fine on their own. They headline and sell-out shows all across the globe and have only gotten bigger as time's gone on. Their name alone will keep them well afloat.

Edited by FORTsunrise

A world with an independent Linkin Park is one worth taking a gander at. It's the promotion that I'm mostly concerned for.

I mean Linkinjoex has a point. The continuing promotion of Living Things was pretty pathetic, with so many lingering holes and questions. Is Castle of Glass a single (or going to be) or not? Or is it strictly promotion for a video game with no hope of air time? What was with the delay of Lost in the Echo and the dead space between it and Burn It Down? Powerless is a Japanese single, so what's with a weak awareness video that features a fourth of the song? Is there going to be a complete video ever? Is there going to be another single?

There's too many question marks in that last paragraph that can't be found on the same subject for the Meteora, Minutes and Suns eras.

Edited by ThatGirl

as much as everyone here seems to hate Warner, they at least trust the band enough to do their own thing; MTM and ATS both took ages to come out, and that would scare the shit out of most labels. Warner may have a lot of faults, but they at least give the band room to do wht they want to do. any record label that is fine with keeping a band on after they decided to scrap an entire album's worth of material (MCR '09) is a good label in my books...

where I would like to not see Warner involved in LP-related stuff, is DBS - no website, no promo, no help. Warner seemed intent on letting that project die, and that's pretty shitty on their part. (irrespective of everyone's opinions on how "good" the band was)

but i guess what LP does after the contract runs out is up to them. i reckon they do have the funds to stay afloat if they were without major backing

You guys are acting like Warner's marketing tactics are somehow worse than LP doing it themselves. I guarantee you that if LP went independent after their contract was up, you'd never hear another new LP song on the radio ever again.

That's the reality of big-name labels - the marketing machine. Warner can throw millions of dollars into marketing for LP - they just didn't, for whatever reason. Has LT even gone gold yet?

If LP split from Warner, in order to keep themselves relevant they'd have to sign with another label. Going independent isn't an option for them, unless of course they want to be that band that sells less than 100,000 copies of each of their future albums for the diehards.

I can see why COG didn't get good airplay, but I totally expected LITE to be this huge big hit because it sounds like it could have fit on Hybrid Theory. It's like 2012 nu-metal basically. I don't get why that song didn't blow the fuck up. I guess ITE, WID and Numb will remain LP's biggest singles forever.

I think that they should follow Metallica's lead, go independent but get the rights to all their music. It would be cool if they got to keep Machine Shop as well.

Good fucking luck if they try that. LP ain't Metallica. If they leave Warner, they're not getting shit.

Here's a question. How involved is the studio and their rights when it comes to Linkin Park's ventures outside of music. Take the new Sebago shoe for example. Does Warner have any hands in the pot for that? The logo perhaps?

I can't find any correlation otherwise, but this isn't the first time Linkin Park has done business with other companies. They know how to play the big-wig company game, so claiming going indie is the end of Linkin Park on the air sounds a bit pre-mature-- especially considering the personal pull they've shown to have with many radio stations.

If I recall at least two songs from Nine Inch Nails were aired off an album during the independent era. Whether they were successful or not I can't say.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be risk involved, but it isn't like they would roll over and not know what to do. Especially with Mike around.

Oh I highly doubt that. Labels make their money primarily off of album sales, and Warner's an enormous corporate conglomerate with over a hundred artists, easy. LP might've been a huge moneymaker back in 2007, but certainly not now.

They wont leave. All parties will sit down and negotiate the contact and they'll come out happy with the new contact.

Thats what I believe anyway

They wont leave. All parties will sit down and negotiate the contact and they'll come out happy with the new contact.

Thats what I believe anyway

I dont know why but some people seem to think that some incredible miracle happens once LP would have left Warner lol. Like they are enslaved or something.

I'm getting the feeling that this is just the way some express that they want the "old" LP back.

LP seems to have a lot of freedom in what they do and I dont think that would change much, if they left.

I think this is an interesting debate right here but in general I'm a little sick that every time LP announces some sort of release either someone states how many releases are maybe left or someone asks how many are left. This has been going on for almost as long as I can remember.

It's been going on at least since the contract negotiations in 2005.

I find this topic's timing hilarious considering Phoenix mentioned in the chat that the band's in a great place with Warner right now, able to do just about whatever the fuck they want.

It's like 2012 nu-metal basically. I don't get why that song didn't blow the fuck up.

You just answered your own question.

I seriously doubt the band will leave Warner. They give them plenty of room to spread out and complete creative control, and while perhaps they didn't put their all behind promoting Living Things, the band don't seem to be either, with only a couple of short tours last year backing the record and only a couple more short tours scheduled for this year.

They said they'd be touring less, yes, but there's a difference between touring less and barely touring at all (I'll happily eat these words if the spring European tour ever gets announced haha).

I don't think the debate is "will they leave Warner," but instead a "what if?" question. I find it funny people dismiss it so easily.

Even still, I'm not even saying Warner is treating them poorly in terms of creativity, but the lack of clarification behind Living Things' promotion is very odd. Especially compared to previous albums. How the next album is handled should be very telling of how the label sees them.

You know the Warner Bros. corporate conglomerate is one of the largest record label collectives in the world, right?

They own tons of subsidiaries. Most small-time record labels you hear about (like Fueled by Ramen) are owned by Warner Music Group, meaning they have hundreds of artists at their direct or indirect disposal.

Anyway, my point with that list is that you have to go down about ten bands to find one more relevant than LP right now (A7X). Then you've got Disturbed, Devo, The Flaming Lips, John Fucking Frusciante...

Looking at the list, it's no wonder Warner lets LP do whatever they want now. They made their money for the label, and in the eyes of the company, as long as they reach gold certification with each major release, the label doesn't give a shit.

Edited by SomedudeRemix