Should LP renew their contract with Warner?

This is a relatively misinformed comment so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe a lot will change on the direct LP front however I think discontinuing the Warner contract will allow room for side projects to grow e.g. Machine Shop Recordings amongst other projects. Warner seems to stem projects which makes me wonder if Mike has been abstaining from a new Fort Minor album until the contract with Warner has ended.

As I stated before, a misinformed statement so please feel free to correct me.

EDIT: Just read above statements about Machine Shop. Damn that's a shame because Mike & Brad were super passionate about MSR.

Edited by ToddWilliamson

I don't see anything negative about LP renewing their contract with Warner. The band seems to be free creatively, and the fact LP still is under Warner allows us to hear those old LP demos each year. And also, I'm pretty sure LP would loose a lot of popularity if it was not for Warner promotion.

Honestly, I think that a lot of the people who want LP to leave Warner think that way because they assume LP will become much more creative if they go indie. Especially those who believe Living Things was made because of label pressure. This whole argument sounds artificial to me; I really think LP is doing what they want musically nowadays.

So yes, if LP wants to leave, it's fine, and if they don't, it's fine. It really doesn't matter to me as long as they deliver music I enjoy.

Edited by Qwerty18

I don't see anything negative about LP renewing their contract with Warner. The band seems to be free creatively, and the fact LP still is under Warner allows us to hear those old LP demos each year. And also, I'm pretty sure LP would loose a lot of popularity if it was not for Warner promotion.

Honestly, I think that a lot of the people who want LP to leave Warner think that way because they assume LP will become much more creative if they go indie. Especially those who believe Living Things was made because of label pressure. This whole argument sounds artificial to me; I really think LP is doing what they want musically nowadays.

So yes, if LP wants to leave, it's fine, and if they don't, it's fine. It really doesn't matter to me as long as they deliver music I enjoy.

this.

oh, and i can bet you the LPU would get way more expensive if they left Warner...

I doubt that they're actually going to leave Warner. They have them wrapped around their finger right now and they can do whatever they want. Promotion for most of the singles on LT were pathetic, but I still hear BID on the radio still to this day...actually, I did hear it on the radio today xD

Even when the album was early in its release, I would hear a whole ton of LT songs on the radio. RU was even on there once. Its just their recent singles that have been not performing well.

The band seems to be free creatively

Almost. *cough*What I've Done*cough*

And maybe some others we don't know about, but that album was a while ago I guess. But the ATS DVD talks about that stuff....look how much stress Tom Whalley put on the band when they were doing ATS.

And maybe some others we don't know about, but that album was a while ago I guess. But the ATS DVD talks about that stuff....look how much stress Tom Whalley put on the band when they were doing ATS.

I remember someone in the band said the label wanted them to make a song that blended their old style with their new style on MTM, so the band made What I've Done, and lyrically it was about how the band evolved into who they are today. If LP released MTM without What I've Done, there would have been a shit storm everywhere. What I've Done is my favorite LP song of all time and it always will be, but I appreciate MTM and ATS more than any of their other albums because they are different. I think the band wanted to make a song like What I've Done. I don't think the label has full creative control anymore like they did back in HT times. BID, LITE, LGM, Victimized all sound like the 'original' LP more than WID ever did. I'm thinking the band wanted to make some songs like that.

Tom Whalley left Warner in 2010 (right around the release of ATS, coincidence?), problem solved I guess haha. Btw he joined in Warner in 2001.