New Gear stuff

Some more guitar rig-related stuff to mention:

-Brad no longer uses the MXR Micro Amp as a boost, instead he has an MXR/Custom Audio Electronics Boost/Line Driver pedal that now serves that function, although it's pretty much always on these days (his tech likes to keep the booster and one of the Boss CS-3 compressors on at all times to help thicken up the overall sound).

-The Boss BF-3 Flanger is no longer a part of Brad's rig (I think I may have mentioned this before), it's been replaced by a new pedal, a Devi Ever Shoegazer fuzz pedal, which is used on Burn it Down (it was also used quite a bit in the studio during the Living Things sessions).

-Both Brad and Mike have a new piece of rack-mounted gear that plays a significant role for certain guitar parts: a Drawmer DS-201 Dual Gate. This is a VERY unique noise gate that can actually be externally triggered via a "guide track" from Pro Tools, which they use to create stuttering/"killswitch" sounds. It's used on Mike's guitar part throughout Lies Greed Misery, as well as on both guitar parts during the chorus of Victimized and the intro of Lost in the Echo. It's also being used on Points of Authority to more accurately recreate the chopped-up guitar sound from the original studio recording - listen to some recent live performances of POA and compare the guitar sound to some older performances, HUGE difference in how it sounds.

-The Electro-Harmonix HOG is still in use in both Brad and Mike's guitar rigs as well. It was only used by each of them on one song during the A Thousand Suns cycle (Brad on Wretches and Kings and Mike on Waiting For the End), but it also plays a major role throughout Victimized, and is also used by Brad during the breakdown in the middle of Lost in the Echo.

-Brad's Rory Gallagher Strat is now splitting stage use with a newer Strat, a sunburst Road Worn '60s Strat that was initially used in the Waiting For the End music video. He tends to use the Rory Gallagher Strat on MTM/ATS songs, and the Road Worn Strat on Lost in the Echo/In My Remains.

Some other performance notes on newer songs:

-Lost in the Echo: Phoenix uses the M-Audio Trigger Finger for samples during the verses and breakdown, Joe and Phoenix both sing some backing vocals. There's also a backing track for some additional backing vocals, it's especially noticeable towards the end of the song on the Carson televised performance.

-In My Remains: Phoenix and Brad both sing the gang vocal part at the end, which is again augmented by a backing track.

-Victimized: Phoenix and Brad both play samples in various parts of the song.

Edited by Astat

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some more guitar rig-related stuff to mention:

-Brad no longer uses the MXR Micro Amp as a boost, instead he has an MXR/Custom Audio Electronics Boost/Line Driver pedal that now serves that function, although it's pretty much always on these days (his tech likes to keep the booster and one of the Boss CS-3 compressors on at all times to help thicken up the overall sound).

-The Boss BF-3 Flanger is no longer a part of Brad's rig (I think I may have mentioned this before), it's been replaced by a new pedal, a Devi Ever Shoegazer fuzz pedal, which is used on Burn it Down (it was also used quite a bit in the studio during the Living Things sessions).

-Both Brad and Mike have a new piece of rack-mounted gear that plays a significant role for certain guitar parts: a Drawmer DS-201 Dual Gate. This is a VERY unique noise gate that can actually be externally triggered via a "guide track" from Pro Tools, which they use to create stuttering/"killswitch" sounds. It's used on Mike's guitar part throughout Lies Greed Misery, as well as on both guitar parts during the chorus of Victimized and the intro of Lost in the Echo. It's also being used on Points of Authority to more accurately recreate the chopped-up guitar sound from the original studio recording - listen to some recent live performances of POA and compare the guitar sound to some older performances, HUGE difference in how it sounds.

-The Electro-Harmonix HOG is still in use in both Brad and Mike's guitar rigs as well. It was only used by each of them on one song during the A Thousand Suns cycle (Brad on Wretches and Kings and Mike on Waiting For the End), but it also plays a major role throughout Victimized, and is also used by Brad during the breakdown in the middle of Lost in the Echo.

-Brad's Rory Gallagher Strat is now splitting stage use with a newer Strat, a sunburst Road Worn '60s Strat that was initially used in the Waiting For the End music video. He tends to use the Rory Gallagher Strat on MTM/ATS songs, and the Road Worn Strat on Lost in the Echo/In My Remains.

Some other performance notes on newer songs:

-Lost in the Echo: Phoenix uses the M-Audio Trigger Finger for samples during the verses and breakdown, Joe and Phoenix both sing some backing vocals. There's also a backing track for some additional backing vocals, it's especially noticeable towards the end of the song on the Carson televised performance.

-In My Remains: Phoenix and Brad both sing the gang vocal part at the end, which is again augmented by a backing track.

-Victimized: Phoenix and Brad both play samples in various parts of the song.

Great info man! I guess you're our inside guy on all of LP's gear since you know Sean. Also, do you have any plans to put all the pedals/effects that LP use on your guitar site? Would be pretty nice so thats its not all in seperate posts within this thread.

Thanks for all that info.

Any advice on what could be an alternative for this? Ive got the GT-100 now and Im having trouble in finding something to replicate this.

Great info man! I guess you're our inside guy on all of LP's gear since you know Sean. Also, do you have any plans to put all the pedals/effects that LP use on your guitar site? Would be pretty nice so thats its not all in seperate posts within this thread.

This...

Also to everyone who has been asking about the xbox kinect cameras, Im working on some info for you guys soon :)

I'm working on adding an "Amps/Effects" section to my site, I just have a lot of work to do on it.

Thanks for all that info.

Any advice on what could be an alternative for this? Ive got the GT-100 now and Im having trouble in finding something to replicate this.

Does the GT-100 have a "Slow Gear" effect on it anywhere? I know the GT-8 had it but I think they cut it out of the GT-10. That'd be your best bet, as the Boss Slow Gear was a pedal that basically filtered out the attack of each note you play (good luck finding an original one though). I think you could also recreate something similar with the Slicer pedal if you tinkered with it enough, but I have zero experience with that effect.

*Edit* One other thing I forgot to mention, the reason Brad uses the expression pedal/G-Major patch combo for the Waiting For the End solo instead of using the HOG like LP does for all of their other pitch-shifting effects: The HOG is all analog and doesn't track as well as a lot of digital equipment does (it's also very finicky - you can't really store presets on it and expect to get a consistent sound every time you turn it on, you always need to tweak it a bit), and the WFTE solo really needs to be played with an expression/"Whammy-style" pedal to get the right feel. Brad's expression pedal is already hooked up to a MIDI cable that's about 75 feet long - WAY longer than your standard MIDI cable. With digital gear that tracks perfectly, this isn't an issue, but hooking it up to a piece of analog gear like the HOG would result in some pretty serious latency issues. Apparently they tried using the HOG for that solo during rehearsals at one point, but it just wasn't working out.

Edited by Astat

This may be a stupid question BUT... during BIO when Mike from Incubus came on stage. Did Incubus leave his amp and gear on stage or did he plug into LP's amps? How exactly is this done?

Mike from Incubus's Amp can be seen hiding under Robs drum riser (its a cute combo amp) and he has his pedal board infront of him too. So hes using his gear which is mic'd up.

I don't think Mike's using his pedalboard for his guest spot on BIO, he just has a Fender combo amp that they keep stashed under Rob's drum riser throughout the show, and he plugs straight into it. Doesn't even use a wireless pack.

I don't think Mike's using his pedalboard for his guest spot on BIO, he just has a Fender combo amp that they keep stashed under Rob's drum riser throughout the show, and he plugs straight into it. Doesn't even use a wireless pack.

I'm pretty sure he does have his pedal board (or at least part of it) when hes playing BIO. Watch this vid at 4:31

I'm pretty sure he does have his pedal board (or at least part of it) when hes playing BIO. Watch this vid at 4:31

Ahh, yep, looks like he has a handful of pedals there (looks like a wah for sure, probably a boost/overdrive and some kind of delay on there as well), definitely not his full pedalboard though... http://copygr.am/stage_rad/265349818389164671_199554923/ Imagine having to set this sucker up every night! Mike's crazy lol.

Ahh, yep, looks like he has a handful of pedals there (looks like a wah for sure, probably a boost/overdrive and some kind of delay on there as well), definitely not his full pedalboard though... http://copygr.am/stage_rad/265349818389164671_199554923/ Imagine having to set this sucker up every night! Mike's crazy lol.

Haha yeah, here's a rig rundown of Mike's gear if anyone's interested! (I think it might of been filmed during the Honda Civic tour, but I'm probably wrong.)

Haha yeah, here's a rig rundown of Mike's gear if anyone's interested! (I think it might of been filmed during the Honda Civic tour, but I'm probably wrong.)

Cool stuff! I was apparently wrong on his amp too, I thought it was a Fender combo, apparently it's a Mesa Boogie Trem-O-Verb.

Joe uses a Pioneer RMX-1000 remix station.

You can see on this picture:

Posted Image

..and you can also see on this picture, he uses Serato with timecoded vinyls. (I think since 2007)

On this screenshot, you can see an USB audio interface next to Joe's head. That's an Apogee Electronics Duet2 interface.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing too significant, but I noticed in the latest LPTV that Phoenix has a new Precision bass (sunburst with tortoiseshell pickguard and maple fretboard) at 4:18

That's definitely a rosewood fretboard. He's had that one for a while, it's also in some of the Living Things studio footage. He has 3 Precisions, one in each rig: White/tortoise shell, sunburst/white, and sunburst/tortoise shell.

• 1 year later...

So... a new touring era has begun! I figured I'd just continue in this topic.

Obviously, Rob seems to have a double bass pedal to play Guilty All The Same. A picture of his current drum kit would be interesting.

http://instagram.com/p/oaE-VFuVWa/

Mike changed his setup almost completely. Instead of his Open Labs Neko XXL he uses a Nord keyboard and a Native Instruments Maschine now. The Nord keyboard that can be seen in the recording / rehearsal pictures on Facebook is a Nord Stage 2 - I assume that's the one he is using for the shows as well. (https://www.facebook.com/linkinPark/photos/a.10152371896971788.1073741829.8210451787/10152383820256788/?type=3&theater)

Additionally, he has several (3 or 4) drum pads for an unknown song (maybe he uses them on Wastelands, I decided not to watch live videos of that song). There also seems to be another device / several devices to the left of the Maschine that I didn't find any pictures of (maybe it's an Ableton Push which they seem to have used in studio). The only thing that "survived" the Living Things era is his Access Virus TI Polar synthesizer.

Brad uses an ebow for the No More Sorrow intro of Until it's Gone which he only used in studio before as far as I remember.

http://instagram.com/p/oRJ3BHi4Z2/

Joe got rid of the Pioneer RMX-1000 and now uses a Native Instruments X1 to the left of his DJ mixer.

Edited by JanekZech

So... a new touring era has begun! I figured I'd just continue in this topic.

Obviously, Rob seems to have a double bass pedal to play Guilty All The Same. A picture of his current drum kit would be interesting.

http://instagram.com/p/oaE-VFuVWa/

Mike changed his setup almost completely. Instead of his Open Labs Neko XXL he uses a Nord keyboard and a Native Instruments Maschine now. The Nord keyboard that can be seen in the recording / rehearsal pictures on Facebook is a Nord Stage 2 - I assume that's the one he is using for the shows as well. (https://www.facebook.com/linkinPark/photos/a.10152371896971788.1073741829.8210451787/10152383820256788/?type=3&theater)

Additionally, he has two drum pads for an unknown song (maybe he uses them on Wastelands, I decided not to watch live videos of that song). There also seems to be another device / several devices to the left of the Maschine that I didn't find any pictures of (maybe it's an Ableton Push which they seem to have used in studio). The only thing that "survived" the Living Things era is his Access Virus TI Polar synthesizer.

Brad uses an ebow for the No More Sorrow intro of Until it's Gone which he only used in studio before as far as I remember.

http://instagram.com/p/oRJ3BHi4Z2/

Joe got rid of the Pioneer RMX-1000 and now uses a Native Instruments X1 to the left of his DJ mixer.

Rob's drum kit is identical to the previous tour with the exception of having a double bass pedal, as far as I can tell.

Mike actually has 4 Pintech drum pads, 2 on each side of his keyboard. I'm assuming it's the same gear they used to use for Wretches and Kings/Blackout, they just split it in half. Not sure what he's using it for either though. Pretty sure you're right that the Nord is a Stage 2, Mike also has an Electro 3 but it's one of his main home studio keyboards so I doubt he'd pull it out of there to take on the road. There's a tablet to the left of the Maschine, I'm assuming it's a Microsoft Surface like what Joe's using. There's also something barely visible below the tablet, but who knows what it is.

Yes, Brad previously used the Fernandes Sustainer for the full live version of No More Sorrow because he had to switch between the EBow part and the strumming parts. With the new Until it's Gone intro, since it's just that guitar part by itself with a break before he has to play anything else, he can actually use the EBow (which is why he can play that part on his Strat, which doesn't have a Sustainer modification).

Also, the band's entire guitar backline (amps/speakers/effects) has been redone on this tour. I don't have the exact details yet, but I do know that they're using the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II as a replacement for most of the rack-mounted effects and preamps they'd been using since Minutes to Midnight. I know the Axe-FX didn't replace EVERYTHING, but it's definitely the primary piece of their guitar rigs now.

Edited by Astat

Chester is using some degree of Auto Tune (or a similar plug-in) on his live vocals now. Noticed it immediately on GATS from Lisbon. I think they're only using it for certain parts of certain songs though, because he still goes off-key in some places. The Ballad Medley was another spot I noticed the pitch correction standing out. I know some people will be disappointed by this and probably even try to argue that it's not true, but trust me. The sound of Auto Tune really "grabbing" something and pulling it into key is a sound that stands out a lot. I noticed it on GATS because it actually pulled a couple of the pitches wrong in the first verse and made Chester's voice sound all glitchy for a moment.

Guitar-wise, Brad is using a new Strat, it's a Masterbuilt 1962 Ultimate Relic Strat from Fender's Custom Shop, in an aged Coral Pink finish. He also used this same guitar extensively in the studio for the new record - http://s19.photobucket.com/user/bulletsforthebeautiful/media/freewebs/b73.jpg.html - but that guitar belongs to Ethan Mates. LP has used 2 touring rigs so far in 2 shows and Brad's had this Strat at both shows, so he bought at least 1 identical copy of Ethan's guitar and may be using Ethan's on tour as well, or he could have bought 2 of them. I haven't seen the Rory Gallagher Strats make an appearance yet in either show they've played.

Mike used Brad's old Scarlet Smokeburst Custom 24 with the Fernandes Sustainer on Waiting For the End at Lisbon, he hasn't used that one live before (Brad also rarely used it): http://s19.photobucket.com/user/bulletsforthebeautiful/media/freewebs/b37.jpg.html

Mike also used his rarely-seen Classic Player '50s Strat with a maple neck/Shoreline Gold finish at Lisbon, which was the first time I've seen him use it on stage, despite it being a guitar he's had around since the Minutes to Midnight period: http://s19.photobucket.com/user/bulletsforthebeautiful/media/freewebs/m44.jpg.html

In terms of other guitar-related gear, neither the band nor their techs are doing any effect patch changes anymore, Brad doesn't even have a pedalboard on stage now. All of the effects patches for ALL of the instruments are triggered automatically by the Ableton Live-powered "brain" computer that basically controls the entire show now. As I said before, Brad's effects themselves (as well as his amp models) are coming from a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II. The only pedal Brad still has on stage is the expression pedal he uses for the octave sweep effect on the Waiting For the End solo.

Still haven't figured out what the Pintech pads on either side of Mike's new keyboard setup are used for.

Edited by Astat

I was about to start a new topic about this. Its like my favorite time of the year. Gear chirtsmas!

Pretty much you guys covered everything I was going to post about. One thing I add about Mikes Keyboard is I'm about 80% sure Mike has an iPad mini next to the Maschine. You can see him use it during the Mike Solo song. The reason why i think its a Mini is because A) the size of the unit and B) It looks as tho it has a 8 pin to 30 pin adaptor, then a 30 min cable which will then most likely concert it to Midi.

And as for the production, wow. LED screen cubes that fly above Rob and Joe, and then are lowered to cover them around mid set. impressive.

EDIT: Small addition but no a major one. Mike has a 2x12 Mesa Cabnet on stage now slanted for his feedback. Previously he had the standard 4 x 12 cab hiding under Joes riser but now its a 2x12 that sits just to the side of his Keyboard riser.

Edited by Pez

Another small tidbit, Brad has completely abandoned singing backing vocals, no microphone to be seen in front of him at any point during the set. Joe and Phoenix also seem to have scaled back the amount of backups they're doing.

In terms of other guitar-related gear, neither the band nor their techs are doing any effect patch changes anymore, Brad doesn't even have a pedalboard on stage now. All of the effects patches for ALL of the instruments are triggered automatically by the Ableton Live-powered "brain" computer that basically controls the entire show now.

Still haven't figured out what the Pintech pads on either side of Mike's new keyboard setup are used for.

Really interesting (and actually quite risky) that Ableton controls everything now. They probably don't have one Ableton project for everything but rather one for each "act" I guess.

I've finally found out what Mike's drum pads are for (at least one of them)! As you can see on ~1:14:05 in the following video, Mike triggers the New Divide synth bass sample during the Until it's Gone/No More Sorrow/New Divide mashup intro. Has he always done it like this? I think I remember him using the Maschine for that part?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLB0aIGS0zE#t=4866

One thing I add about Mikes Keyboard is I'm about 80% sure Mike has an iPad mini next to the Maschine. You can see him use it during the Mike Solo song. The reason why i think its a Mini is because A) the size of the unit and B) It looks as tho it has a 8 pin to 30 pin adaptor, then a 30 min cable which will then most likely concert it to Midi.

I think you're right, if I remember it correctly I also saw him using it on Runaway during the Rock in Rio stream.

One thing I add about Mikes Keyboard is I'm about 80% sure Mike has an iPad mini next to the Maschine. You can see him use it during the Mike Solo song. The reason why i think its a Mini is because A) the size of the unit and B) It looks as tho it has a 8 pin to 30 pin adaptor, then a 30 min cable which will then most likely concert it to Midi.

Wild guess but I think he is using http://www.native-instruments.com/de/products/maschine/maschine-for-ios/imaschine/