New Gear stuff

Looking at the Lisbon footage again, the black guitar Brad used on With You/Runaway is actually another PRS NF3 like he used at the House of Blues, this one just has a rosewood fretboard instead of maple.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Delson used Native Instruments Maschine midi controller to trigger organ sample for Lies, Greed, Misery and Phoenix used M-Audio Trigger Finger midi drumpad controller (maybe legacy from Joe? :D remember M2M tours, he had a big matrix of these controllers :D )to trigger drum samples at the beginning of the song.

Edited by lpmaskmancick

After watching the Autoball performance and seeing the DSP pic, I have come across two things.

I believe actually may have two electronic cymbals now. One which we've already discussed and one below his 18in crash. Its hard to tell tho. You can kinda see it in the rock in rio performance too.

Second, at the Autoball it seems like Brad and Mike are using a different keyboard for the synth parts of the song. Normally it was the Virus but this looks different.

After watching the Autoball performance and seeing the DSP pic, I have come across two things.

I believe actually may have two electronic cymbals now. One which we've already discussed and one below his 18in crash. Its hard to tell tho. You can kinda see it in the rock in rio performance too.

Second, at the Autoball it seems like Brad and Mike are using a different keyboard for the synth parts of the song. Normally it was the Virus but this looks different.

Yer there is defiantly two electronic cymbals now.

More info for you guys!

-Rob indeed has two electronic cymbals on his kit now. One is above his rack of trigger pads on his left, the other is under his left-side crash cymbal, right beside his splash. I also noticed that his rack of triggers has shrunk by two, the big rack of 5 triggers built into regular drum shells has shrunk down to 3 (the top row of them was removed, and one of the electronic cymbals was mounted up there). So he still has the same number of electronic components on his kit as he did on the last cycle, just in a different arrangement.

-Mike is using Fernandes Sustainer-equipped guitars on Waiting for the End now. The two he's currently using in Europe are both old guitars that Brad used on No More Sorrow (both are CE 24s, one red and one blue), but the one he used at the House of Blues show was a new one, from what I can tell it might be an SE model, since it appears to have a flat top on it.

-Brad has two PRS NF3s for With You/Runaway, one is white with a maple fretboard, the other is black with a rosewood fretboard.

-Chester's two guitars for Iridescent are a powder blue PRS Mira that he's had for a while, and a black PRS SE One that actually belongs to Mike.

-Mike is using a sunburst PRS CE 24 on Somewhere I Belong at some shows, it's a guitar that he's had for a while but rarely used before now (it was usually just a backup guitar in the past).

-The white PRS Mike used on Somewhere I Belong at the House of Blues show isn't a Dave Navarro signature model like I thought, it's actually the same white PRS Brad's been using pretty frequently the last few years. Mike must have just borrowed it for that one show, because Brad's using it in Europe.

-Chester's "Green Guitar Project" Telecaster-style guitar appears to just have one pickup, and it looks like a Hot Rails or something like that (a single coil-sized humbucker).

-I'm not very good with Joe's gear, but I noticed that he's using either an iPad or something that looks a lot like one for all of his "trigger" parts (stuff he would've used an MPC, or something with MPC-style pads for in the past). I wonder what app he's using for that?

Isn't that what he has mounted on that little "riser" thing at the front center of his rig? I'm talking about the thing that's in the bottom left corner that he uses for the triggered samples on things like the Burn it Down intro.

He is talking about the thing on the left.. Remember a few years ago he had that extra table with about 8 MIDI pads on them. Well he as this new setup so he dusnt need to have them all he just changes the samples for each song... Sorry I'm bad at explaining things

Isn't that what he has mounted on that little "riser" thing at the front center of his rig? I'm talking about the thing that's in the bottom left corner that he uses for the triggered samples on things like the Burn it Down intro.

no, that's exactly what is on his left side. It was on his right side during the ATS Tour cycle ;)

https://twitter.com/joehahnLP/status/200758...8/photo/1/large

That's MIDIfighter midi controller. I think he uses Ableton Live to trigger samples it looks from the photo, because the Lemur is mainly made for Live, but you can use with other DAWs too. Joe uses Serato Itch to scratch with timecoded vinyls.

Edited by lpmaskmancick

Remember a few years ago he had that extra table with about 8 MIDI pads on them. Well he as this new setup so he dusnt need to have them all he just changes the samples for each song...

Those were M-Audio TriggerFingers and Akai MPD24s. I've never understood why he had so many of them. It would have been super easy to just change samples on the computer for the next song.

I think he uses Ableton Live to trigger samples it looks from the photo, because the Lemur is mainly made for Live, but you can use with other DAWs too.

It would be interesting to know what software he uses for that purpose. I don't think I have ever seen any LP member using Ableton so that would be something new. Does anyone know what they use for playing the backing tracks live and for the samples that Rob triggers on his pads?

I think Rob triggers drum samples from his pads like in Faint intro, he play flipped drum samples.

If you listened mutlitracks of few LP songs you can hear some synth loop backing tracks behind them so I think Hahn triggers them with midi controllers and he triggers samples in the songs like Numb, Crawling, etc....

Ableton and Serato can run simoultenously without errors so this is why he use and Live is mainly made for live acts.

Does anyone know what they use for playing the backing tracks live and for the samples that Rob triggers on his pads?

The backing tracks are run off a Pro Tools rig that Dylan has offstage in "monitor world," as Pooch calls it. I'd assume it's the same rig he uses to run all the click tracks and stuff like that, each song is probably loaded as a Pro Tools session with all of the backing tracks getting sent to the FOH console so Pooch can mix everything and the click tracks getting sent to Dylan's console so he can send them to whoever needs to hear them in their monitors (usually Rob, and probably Mike and Joe as well in certain situations).

Edited by Astat

If you listened mutlitracks of few LP songs you can hear some synth loop backing tracks behind them so I think Hahn triggers them with midi controllers and he triggers samples in the songs like Numb, Crawling, etc....

I think those synth loop tracks are part of the backing tracks, Joe only triggers the prominent melodies such as In The End, Numb or New Divide.

The backing tracks are run off a Pro Tools rig that Dylan has offstage in "monitor world," as Pooch calls it. I'd assume it's the same rig he uses to run all the click tracks and stuff like that, each song is probably loaded as a Pro Tools session with all of the backing tracks getting sent to the FOH console so Pooch can mix everything and the click tracks getting sent to Dylan's console so he can send them to whoever needs to hear them in their monitors (usually Rob, and probably Mike and Joe as well in certain situations).

That makes sense because LP has always worked with Pro Tools in studio although I've never heard of another act using it in a live environment. I guess they have 2 computers with Pro Tools running at the same time because sometimes the transitions between tracks were really short (for example when the In The End outro kind of transitioned into Bleed It Out if I remember correctly.

Wow, this thread is really informative. Glad I found it.

+1. Thanks for all the information so far everyone.

That makes sense because LP has always worked with Pro Tools in studio although I've never heard of another act using it in a live environment. I guess they have 2 computers with Pro Tools running at the same time because sometimes the transitions between tracks were really short (for example when the In The End outro kind of transitioned into Bleed It Out if I remember correctly.

There are basically 3 ways an LP song starts. If it starts off with some kind of sampled part that plays for a while before anything else comes in, Dylan gets a cue from one of the band members when they're ready and starts playback on the Pro Tools rig (this is most common with the long intros the band uses for concert intros - the AMBO intro to What I've Done, the long intro to No More Sorrow, etc.). If it starts off with Rob counting in, Rob will give Dylan a cue to start the click track, then once Rob hears the click, he'll count the rest of the band in (this happens with tracks like Crawling, Bleed it Out, Numb, and a few others). If it starts off with another band member, they'll usually give Dylan the cue and hear the click track instead (most common on tracks where Mike starts them off with piano - What I've Done, the new LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent medley, etc.).

There are very few situations in an LP live show where someone isn't playing to a click track. The few exceptions are piano versions of songs where it's just Mike and Chester, and any time Brad starts a song by himself, since he doesn't wear in-ear monitors (ever notice that the A Place For My Head intro always seems slower than the rest of the song? That's because the click track doesn't come in until Mike starts the first verse - this is also the reason for the pause between the intro and the rest of the song). The only "full" song I can think of that's performed entirely without a click track is The Messenger.

There are very few situations in an LP live show where someone isn't playing to a click track. The few exceptions are piano versions of songs where it's just Mike and Chester, and any time Brad starts a song by himself, since he doesn't wear in-ear monitors (ever notice that the A Place For My Head intro always seems slower than the rest of the song? That's because the click track doesn't come in until Mike starts the first verse - this is also the reason for the pause between the intro and the rest of the song). The only "full" song I can think of that's performed entirely without a click track is The Messenger.

I also though id throw in that the big (well couple second break) after the bridge of BIO into Sabotage also allows the click track tempo to change, if not disappear. Cos from that point on the song jumps a little higher in tempo.

I also though id throw in that the big (well couple second break) after the bridge of BIO into Sabotage also allows the click track tempo to change, if not disappear. Cos from that point on the song jumps a little higher in tempo.

I think the click actually speeds up a couple bars before the break, if you listen really close to the last couple bars of the bridge (..."face this now") the tempo actually starts increasing there.

• 2 weeks later...