Mike Shinoda's singing (MTM vs. ATS)

NickDuffy

Mike Shinoda's singing  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Where is he better, Minutes To Midnight or A Thousand Suns?

• Minutes To Midnight
    • A Thousand Suns

Definitely MTM. No Roads Left is amazing, In Between is good and so isn't the demos we've heard of Fear and Drum Song. I also enjoy what he does on songs like What I've Done, No More Sorrow and Valentine's Day in the background.

As for ATS, I don't like it as much. A lot of the stuff he sings on ATS I feel should have been sung by Chester, for example, the verses of BITS, the verses of Iridescent, etc.

It was close for me, but thats only because of No Roads Left, that performance is just incredible. Regardless, I think he really shines on ATS because before this album, I didn't think he could carry songs like he does, the beginning of Iridescent is perfect, BITS is great, and the mix of Chester and Mike on Robot Boy is fantastic.

A Thousand Suns is the first time Mike's ever made his singing vocals sound effortless. Yes, No Roads Left is a good vocal performance. It's also obvious that it's right at the limit of his vocal range (or his range at the time) and that he was straining to squeeze some of those notes out.

I think everybody should go take another listen to the ending of The Catalyst. I don't think I've seen anybody point this out before - the really aggressive ad-lib stuff at the end of that song isn't all Chester. It starts off as Chester at the 4:19 mark, but switches to Mike at 4:47. That section from 4:47 to 5:01 is in the same general register as the highest parts of No Roads Left, but Mike sings it FAR better, apparently well enough that nobody's ever noticed that it isn't Chester.

This is (or should be) a no-contest, the only reason MTM is going to get half the votes it will in this poll is because of all the idiots who are going to be all "HERPDERP ANYTHING ATS-RELATED SUCKS, I'MMA VOTE AGAINST IT ROFLOL".

A Thousand Suns is the first time Mike's ever made his singing vocals sound effortless. Yes, No Roads Left is a good vocal performance. It's also obvious that it's right at the limit of his vocal range (or his range at the time) and that he was straining to squeeze some of those notes out.

I think everybody should go take another listen to the ending of The Catalyst. I don't think I've seen anybody point this out before - the really aggressive ad-lib stuff at the end of that song isn't all Chester. It starts off as Chester at the 4:19 mark, but switches to Mike at 4:47. That section from 4:47 to 5:01 is in the same general register as the highest parts of No Roads Left, but Mike sings it FAR better, apparently well enough that nobody's ever noticed that it isn't Chester.

This is (or should be) a no-contest, the only reason MTM is going to get half the votes it will in this poll is because of all the idiots who are going to be all "HERPDERP ANYTHING ATS-RELATED SUCKS, I'MMA VOTE AGAINST IT ROFLOL".

Quoted for the amazing post of truthness

Seriously guys. You cant vote MTM just because of one song. He pushed the shit out of his vocals just to sing that.

And are you serious about the catalyst thing. Cos I just listen to it and do actually believe it. Thats amazing!

Seriously guys. You cant vote MTM just because of one song.

Particularly one that isn't even technically on the album. :lol:

Mike really doesn't sing a lot on MTM, even background vocals. He's on the chorus/bridge of Bleed it Out, the ending of What I've Done, the outro of Hands Held High, In Between, and the ending of TLTGYA...unless I'm forgetting something, everything else is Chester (even a lot of stuff that Mike sings live, like the backing vocals on No More Sorrow and other similar parts).

Particularly one that isn't even technically on the album. :lol:

Mike really doesn't sing a lot on MTM, even background vocals. He's on the chorus/bridge of Bleed it Out, the ending of What I've Done, the outro of Hands Held High, In Between, and the ending of TLTGYA...unless I'm forgetting something, everything else is Chester (even a lot of stuff that Mike sings live, like the backing vocals on No More Sorrow and other similar parts).

Compared to ATS where his vocals are somewhat featured on every song (exlcuding some Interludes). I actually think his vocals are on the messenger too (the lower octave at the end) I could be wrong.

A Thousand Suns, because of the ending to Blackout.

This. Best part of the album in my opinion. "We've been waiting to collect the things you know..." gives me chills every single time... Love it!

The ending of The Catalyst is brilliant too.

Epic.

Compared to ATS where his vocals are somewhat featured on every song (exlcuding some Interludes). I actually think his vocals are on the messenger too (the lower octave at the end) I could be wrong.

The actually did gang vocals with the whole band for the end of The Messenger, they just ended up putting them really low in the mix.

I agree 100%

His voice also sounds a lot thicker on some songs as well.

My thoughts exactly!! Leave the singing to Chazzy!!!!!!

I think Mike's singing makes an amazing contrast to Chester's. Iridescent (for example) wouldn't have been nearly as good (in my opinion) had Chester sang the verses. It's that softer, almost shy voice that Mike has and then Chester comes in with the powerful, uplifting chorus. It works so well that I couldn't imagine it working any other way.

I think Mike's singing makes an amazing contrast to Chester's. Iridescent (for example) wouldn't have been nearly as good (in my opinion) had Chester sang the verses. It's that softer, almost shy voice that Mike has and then Chester comes in with the powerful, uplifting chorus. It works so well that I couldn't imagine it working any other way.

I concur. Mike's voice portrays sadness better than Chester's imo. I feel so much emotion when he sings.

• 3 weeks later...

Listen to his ad-lib on 3:50-4:10ish if you have the acapella and can play around with your headphones. It's amazing.

Listen to his ad-lib on 3:50-4:10ish if you have the acapella and can play around with your headphones. It's amazing.

Just listened to it with the vocal remove effect on Audacity...god damn...

EDIT: Actually, while filtering the acapella track, you can hear all of Mike's background vocals a lot more. Even the ones during the second verse.

Edited by MONDREUS240