Robot Boy Live

LPU90

In the break time of LPL forum I search news and discussion on LPA forum and I've found an LPU chaa with Mike that he discussed the reasons and issues for why Robot Boy has yet to be played live. His primary reasoning for this was because of the song's densely packed multi-layers in vocals and how it'd be quite tough to pull off live.

He claimed that if ever played, Robot Boy would be most likely a very simplified version of the original; meaning something probably like Pushing Me Away Piano Live. Well, the question is how would you feel about a dimmed down version of Robot Boy. Do you believe the song would lose the emotions or mood created by the multilayers or do you agree with a simplified version like Pushing Me Away. Or perhaps you have ideas for how Linkin Park could pull off a live version of Robot Boy.

After reading the discussion on LPA forum I think that they could be done a full band version with Mike and Chester sing the first part of the song togheter, then the bridge and the end with Chester screaming and Mike and Phoenix sing the final verse.

how do you think?

I'd rather have a simplified version...do you think they will premiere this song live this summer? It's the only song from all 4 of their studio albums that hasn't been played live at some point.

I'd rather have a simplified version...do you think they will premiere this song live this summer? It's the only song from all 4 of their studio albums that hasn't been played live at some point.

I can expect an attempt.

Weird, I was just listening to this the other day and thinking about how difficult it'd be because of the final part. I think as a full band they COULD do it live and pull it off, like you said with Mike and Phoenix singing the melody and Chester screaming, maybe some sampled vocals for the melody too. However, I don't think they'd add it in a setlist just because I think it would wear Chester out too easily. He's a great singer and all, but its just too much to handle on a repeated basis, so realistically they'd perform a simplified version.

Weird, I was just listening to this the other day and thinking about how difficult it'd be because of the final part. I think as a full band they COULD do it live and pull it off, like you said with Mike and Phoenix singing the melody and Chester screaming, maybe some sampled vocals for the melody too. However, I don't think they'd add it in a setlist just because I think it would wear Chester out too easily. He's a great singer and all, but its just too much to handle on a repeated basis, so realistically they'd perform a simplified version.

I agree. I think they should play this song a few times and then just drop it. I want them to play it for the sake of playing it, even if it's just once to try it out. I love Robot Boy but I do think it would be too hard on Chester vocally to do every night. A lot of people underestimate Robot Boy but it's basically nonstop singing once it hits the 1 minute mark and the screaming style vocal at the end of the song is really crazy if you listen to it.

I think they musn't play it every night.

Just like for example Wretches And Kings and The Messenger; they only played for a couple of times in the US Tour (they only played 4 times),

so I Think that Robot Boy could have a regular spot in some shows of this tour.

Edited by LPU90

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think that it is that hard to pull of live. I just don't see what Brad will do, except the (palm-muted?) guitar at the end. Mike&Chester will sing the two verses, mike doing his synth solo + singing Hold On / The Weight Of The World Will Give You The Strenght To Go plus Phoenix doing back-vocals and Chester will sing his epic screaming/shouting thing.

• 4 months later...

Juist as I thought the they're goin to play Robot Boy I'd like to see how it cvould possibly do (just my opinion) in a most precise way.

Chester vocal, scream at the end

Mike synth solo, vocal

Brad piano, vocal

Phoenix bass, vocal

Rob drum (but i'm not to sure if they really needs)

Joe scratiching, sample as always (maybe a little of back vocal effect)

If they'll play acoustic I believe that Mike play acoustic guitar while sing with Chester and Brad play piano.

what do you guys think of that

I've always had it in my head like this....:

Chester - vocals

Mike - piano until "bridge", then synth solo

Brad - synth during bridge, piano during end

Phoenix - backup vocals, guitar at the end? (not sure if that is actally guitar or synth)

Rob - drums

Joe - backup vocals (don't know what he would have to sample and there is no scratching)

I've always had it in my head like this....:

Chester - vocals

Mike - piano until "bridge", then synth solo

Brad - synth during bridge, piano during end

Phoenix - backup vocals, guitar at the end? (not sure if that is actally guitar or synth)

Rob - drums

Joe - backup vocals (don't know what he would have to sample and there is no scratching)

yeah but we need Mike to sing for me (just like BITS or Iridescent)

They could perform like Jornada Del Muerto, but with Dave and joe and maybe Brad singing. i don't know so much about vocal effects, but, are they using alot of reverb on Jornada Del Muerto? because it sound so deep, i love the live version, if Robot Boy could be played like that, i would love it.

Edited by Malvar LP