Thoughts on ATS DVD

Marth

Hey guys,

The documentary about A Thousand Suns really got me thinking. Especially at the end when it seems like they were forced to release the album and chester talks about not letting the label and producers (he calls it 3rd party opinions) influence the sound of LP in the future.

But what about now? Does this mean that A Thousand Suns is just a constrained commercial release? Could be. The Making of seems to me like a Distress Call from LP.

What's your opinion? Let me know!

marth

thoughts from the other thread:

LOL @ Mike blowing up on Brad within a minute of it starting. Holy shit a total headache to watch with all the editing. Terrible editing. Seriously? They have to introduce the band? This is the what, 4th Making Of DVD we've had and they introduce the band NOW?

RICK IS IN THE DVD

Rob had one part. But Joe was in the DVD doing 10x more than he did for MTM lol. rofl @ Catalyst in the middle.

End is insane. All the building up. Chester's speech at the end is EPIC. You can see they talk about Tom Whalley a lot and LP managers, etc. Chester said FUCK the deadlines, fuck the 3rd party influence bullshit, fuck the record label telling them how to make songs. Phoenix said fuck this record label wanting a 3 minute radio single. This is GREAT MATERIAL. I wish we had more lol.

End really is the craziest LP footage I've ever seen. Chester has such a great little role. I love that. The clip before Wretches I believe came from this.

The record label talk by Mike is interesting, he said it should be canceled if they can't meet the deadline. It seems the band REALLY REALLY battled with them on this CD. I bet they say fuck Warner eventually and do it on their own. This looks insanely stressful. What a DVD. Editing sucked but I really loved it, especially near the end. Are the Wretches lyrics about the label? LOL "People up top push the people down low"

I guess Linkin Park are standing up for themselves saying they are proud of what they made like a hard-working blue collars musicians. They are being patriot when it comes to the finished product of A Thousand Suns. Screw being safe, its an awesome record! :) I hope musicians are taking note of this coz there are real differences between creativity and making 'hits'

And one more thing, i dont think Linkin Park would split, they are more happy as ever even tho their relationship with warner is strained from differences concerning their contract.

All I'm going to say; could have been 100000x better. Double or even triple the length. It's a DVD for Christ sakes, they can take up to hours of video. Two years in the studio covered by 30 minutes of footage? Nah.

The glitching and blanking out words pissed me off.

There was no need for The Catalyst to be played half way through.

There could have been so much potential for this DVD showing the process of ATS. Plus the title for it sucked.

The content or the actual footage? Because, I thought the DVD content showed that the band was 1) in full disagreement on the new album and 2) not ready to put it out.

I agree. The band, in my humble, humble opinion, seems as stretched as they ever have. But c'mon guys... they've had plenty of time to work on this album. Shinoda is right... if they can't meet deadlines, they need to get canceled. I mean seriously, its not like Warner wanted this at the end of 2007. I mean, it has been 3.5 years since Minutes to Midnight has been released. They have said numerous times they continued writing on the road so I mean its bullshit to hear them complain about deadlines when they had a huge and very gracious amount of time. Just because they are mega-rockers doesn't mean they can do everything they want. Just because President Obama is president doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants. It's all checks and balances. Point is, if you're signed with a company and given multiple years to provide less than hour worth of music, I would be thankful.

With that being said, the DVD is a joke but shows solid, footage. It appears Phoenix is at a HUGE disconnect with the band. I feel he had the least contribution of the six band members this time around. I feel Joe (fairly obvious) had a HUGE role in this record. Mike is a totally different persona; he looked extremely unhealthy at times in this DVD. When he makes the speech about everyone being lazy, it appeared a lot of the band would goof around and just let Mike handle it. Like they didn't care or weren't that motivated. I'm talking all of them. Phoenix mentioning "Linkin Park-fied" and "What I've Done shit" was very, very interesting. It is quite apparent the band will probably never ever make another conventional rock record.

I agree. The band, in my humble, humble opinion, seems as stretched as they ever have. But c'mon guys... they've had plenty of time to work on this album. Shinoda is right... if they can't meet deadlines, they need to get canceled.

Mike wasn't talking about canceling their record deal. He was talking about the EA Medal of Honor game deal.

The words that get censored right before he talks about the _______ going away are "EA" and "game".

Mike wasn't talking about canceling their record deal. He was talking about the EA Medal of Honor game deal.

The words that get censored right before he talks about the _______ going away are "EA" and "game".

It's all in my same point. My point was if you can't make deadlines, you get canceled. Game, album, DVD, touring, whatever.

No, Mike was talking about the record contract. He said they deserved to have the record contract canceled if they can't meet the deadline for the album with WBR. LOL Medal Of Honor? The only thing that had anything to do with that was Catalyst. He's talking about the album, not one song.

No, Mike was talking about the record contract. He said they deserved to have the record contract canceled if they can't meet the deadline for the album with WBR. LOL Medal Of Honor? The only thing that had anything to do with that was Catalyst. He's talking about the album, not one song.

Thank you lol.

No, Mike was talking about the record contract. He said they deserved to have the record contract canceled if they can't meet the deadline for the album with WBR. LOL Medal Of Honor? The only thing that had anything to do with that was Catalyst.

Exactly. That entire conversation is about The Catalyst, and how the deadline for mixing and mastering it is a lot closer than the rest of the band seems to realize.

Mike: "The mix is ready for notes..."

Brad: "Well I thought that mix was going to get entered into the mixer shoot-out." <- Referring to when the band sent out random songs to random mixers for the blind test.

Mike: "A mix is due to (EA), for that song in particular to put in the (game), mastered, done, put it in the (game), it is over, in a week, so that's not gonna happen."

Mike (cont.): So maybe you understand better why I've been trying to put a little fire under the situation, cause the deadlines are here, it's go time, if we don't make these deadlines our (game) deal should go away, it needs to get canceled.

LOL you really think Mike would want to cancel his band's record deal because they couldn't meet a deadline? Albums get pushed back all the time. The only deal that would be canceled by not meeting a deadline is one that involves a 3rd party, as in EA Games.

Edited by Xero21