A couple Fort Minor questions

Ashwhisker

I am new to the Fort Minor scene, so excuse me if these are stupid questions.

Umm so I read somewhere on here about a disagreement between mike and tak. first, who is tak and second, what was the problem?

Also, in the song Get Me Gone who is the person mike is referring to who said he shouldn't rap and all that?

Finally, in the song The Battle, what is going on? Because this sounds live. Explain it please!

I am new to the Fort Minor scene, so excuse me if these are stupid questions.

Umm so I read somewhere on here about a disagreement between mike and tak. first, who is tak and second, what was the problem?

Also, in the song Get Me Gone who is the person mike is referring to who said he shouldn't rap and all that?

Finally, in the song The Battle, what is going on? Because this sounds live. Explain it please!

Tak is the black guy from FM/SOB. SOB was signed to Machine Shop/Warner Bros. Records thanks to Mike, but WB didn't think they were successful enough... to make a long story short, they let them go. Tak was angry and took it out on Mike. He (Tak) also doesn't talk to the rest of FM/SOB.

Mike is referring to someone from WB. Get Me Gone is really just an intro to High Road, so just listen to those two and you'll understand what he's saying.

Finally, The Battle is just an excuse to put Celph Titled on The Rising Tied (lol). The song itself is Celph Titled during a rap battle; that's why there's audience reactions. I don't know if it's a real rap battle or just a skit, but nonetheless it's pretty short and pointless. It reminds me of the ending to PLC.4 MIE HÆD. There's an extended version released through Celph Titled, at least I think that's how it was released. I never listened to it because I didn't care for it.

Edited by Aiman

Tak is the black guy from FM/SOB. SOB was signed to Machine Shop/Warner Bros. Records thanks to Mike, but WB didn't think they were successful enough... to make a long story short, they let them go. Tak was angry and took it out on Mike. He (Tak) also doesn't talk to the rest of FM/SOB.

Mike is referring to someone from WB. Get Me Gone is really just an intro to High Road, so just listen to those two and you'll understand what he's saying.

Finally, The Battle is just an excuse to put Celph Titled on The Rising Tied (lol). The song itself is Celph Titled during a rap battle; that's why there's audience reactions. I don't know if it's a real rap battle or just a skit, but nonetheless it's pretty short and pointless. It reminds me of the ending to PLC.4 MIE HÆD. There's an extended version released through Celph Titled, at least I think that's how it was released. I never listened to it because I didn't care for it.

Thank you very much! :lol:

Mike said The Battle was recorded in a studio and crowd was added in later - it wasn't done live. I don't understand why it cuts off so randomly. Celph put a "full version" on one of his releases but it was just him going in, taking the track and extending it afterwards. A full one was never recorded I guess. Noone really knows.

Get Me Gone is about Jeff Blue from Warner.

Brad would've done the "Big Bad Remix" he is quite talented in the studio (probably just below par with Mike). Brad does more work in the studio than Chester. He is a talented individual. Joe did "Where'd You Joe?".

Mike said The Battle was recorded in a studio and crowd was added in later - it wasn't done live. I don't understand why it cuts off so randomly. Celph put a "full version" on one of his releases but it was just him going in, taking the track and extending it afterwards. A full one was never recorded I guess. Noone really knows.

So Blue, the person who signed Linkin Park to Warner, tried to change Linkin Park?!

Cheapshot produced We Major didnt he? As i recall it was once: Cheapshot presents: Fort Minor "We Major"

No, it was Green Lantern. And he only "hosted" the mixtape. ;)

I think the whole album was produced by Green Lantern. The tracks were individually produced by others, like Mike and Cheapshot.

Yeah, I'm looking for the producers of the individual songs. But thanks you two! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Producers of We Major tracks:

Green Lantern Intro - Green Lantern

100 Degrees - Mike

Dolla - Mike

Bloc Party - Mike

S.C.O.M. - Mike

Remember the Name (Funkadelic Remix) - Mike

Bleach (Jimi Remix) - Mike

Spraypaint & Inkpens - Mike

Petrified (Doors Remix) - Mike

Get It - Scoop DeVille

Be Somebody - Mike

Respect 4 Grandma - Scoop DeVille

There They Go (Green Lantern Remix) - Green Lantern

All Night - Apathy

Nobody's Listening (Green Lantern Remix) - Green Lantern

Cover and Duck - Mike

Remember the Name (Album Version) - Mike

Petrified (Album Version) - Mike

Outro - Green Lantern

Where'd You Go? (S.O.B. Remix) - Cheapshot & Vin Skully

I believe Green Lantern was responsible for the transitions between songs, so technically speaking, he did some production on everything.

I have a question about S.C.O.M The guys make refrences to "Dipset" who/what is that?

Dipset (or Dip Set, a.k.a. the Diplomats) is a rap crew based out of Harlem, NY that Juelz Santana is part of. Cam'ron and Jim Jones are the two other big names involved with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dipset (or Dip Set, a.k.a. the Diplomats) is a rap crew based out of Harlem, NY that Juelz Santana is part of. Cam'ron and Jim Jones are the two other big names involved with it.

Na, didn't the group dissolve or something? Cause I know for a fact Juelz Santana moved on a year or two after, and that Jim Jones left for whatever reason.

I've heard Don Gilmore be another possible person being referenced in this song myself. I've always wondered who it was about though. you have an interview proving he was rapping about Jeff Blue by chance?

I've heard Don Gilmore be another possible person being referenced in this song myself. I've always wondered who it was about though. you have an interview proving he was rapping about Jeff Blue by chance?

I'd say from most likely to least likely, here are the top 3 "suspects" that that song could be about:

1. Jeff Blue

2. David Kahne

3. Don Gilmore

Don Gilmore isn't very likely because the band maintained a good relationship with him all the way through 2004 (he mixed the live tracks on the LPU 4.0 CD). He also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would suggest that Mike quit rapping, because he's produced other hip-hop-related stuff.

If you read the comments Mike made about David Kahne when Plaster was released (that he was one of the people who "didn't get the band" early on in their career), you might be able to make the connection that it's about him, but really, Kahne is so insignificant in the overall scope of the band's history that I doubt it's about him. Mixing that one song was pretty much the only thing he ever did for them.

Jeff Blue fits the description the best because he was VERY involved with the band early on, but mysteriously disappeared from the Linkin Park "scene" within a couple years. He's always claimed to be the guy that first "discovered" Xero, and if you look at all the pre-Hybrid Theory promo material (demo CDs/cassettes etc.), his name is found all over them, many times with his phone number/other contact information. He was practically inseparable from the band until 2001 or so, then he just vanished. Why would the guy who discovered the band and got them their big break with a major label suddenly disappear from their crew with no explanation, especially after their first album was such a success? There was obviously a falling out there.

Also, if you read into the story of why Dry Cell's album never came out, you'll see that Jeff Blue was largely responsible for it, so he's had rocky relationships with other bands he worked with. Not only that, one of the reasons Blue was hyping Dry Cell in the first place was that they "sounded like Linkin Park without rapping." Hmm...the guy in Get Me Gone wanted Mike to quit rapping. Coincidence? Doubt it.