Chester vs NY Times & Rolling Stone

hahninator

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they wanted to make a career out of music but that's what selling out is. What I have been trying to say is, everyone has all this negative attachment with the term "sellout". In fact, the term "sellout" isn't even what people are making it out to be. It's not this all end evil thing...

They DO care about the fans. They care about the music too.

Linkin Park has to be one of two bands that I like who gives a crap about their fans. (Korn is pretty good with their fans too.)

Music is their career...they HAVE to sell their music. It really didn't matter, just once again..I had to defend myself because people think I am evil for calling a band a sellout. I like to stick to technicality, and yes...technically ANY band that has signed a record label is a sellout. I like Linkin Park. I like Fort Minor. I like Dead By Sunrise. That should be the end of the conversation there. I love everyone. I love their friends. I love their animals. I love Cristina Scabbia's hairdo as well.

That's not selling out. They made their own music and didn't ask anyone to buy it. People who liked it enough to buy it did so to support them. Selling out would be making a certain type of music to cater to the masses. Considering that selling out would be like considering a chef a sellout because he doesn't give his food away for free.

i hate musicians that act all different and dress weird to promote a random image they want you to think they are.

Marilyn Manson? lol

Edited by Aiman

So you are implying that Linkin Park's fan base only consists of those same angsty "hardcore" kids? Or did they change the style of their music to appeal to more people? Ah, exactly.

#1: LP doesn't decide everything. Warner Bros. has the ultimate say. They can't make an album that sounds like "mmm cookies" or it wont sell.

#2: All of you people bashing me are missing the entire point. If Chester and Mike wanted to do those side projects for fun, they didn't have to sell the music. They could have done what NIN does and accepted donations, just out put the music to share it with the world (Free). They did Fort Minor and Dead By Sunrise to make profit off of what they are doing. You are obviously too blind to see that. (My whole point of "in privacy", I didn't literally mean "private". I guess I should pay more attention on how I word things before I throw it out to the sharks...)

Don't you remember what Mike said not too long ago....they probably make a penny off of every album sale? They make most of their money off touring!

Sheesh...you guys are like little kids stuck on candy. Someone takes it away and you all whine. (rofl) You make up all these excuses to defend them when it's just the bottom line.

As I already said, if they cared about the music only, they could create music while working elsewhere for money. (Hence, your "label" point) They KNOW their music is making millions...they want the money. I don't blame them but it's ignorant for you guys and gals to sit there and act like they care about only the music itself. All money aside.

No one "bashed" Linkin Park, Dead By Sunrise OR Fort Minor. It's just fact. You have to make music that appeals to masses by "selling out". You have to SELL THE MUSIC. That's what it means. You can like it or dislike it, but that's how it is. I like all three of the bands but I'm not a brainless consumer. I know what's up and I accept that.

Here's another scenario, Xero playing gigs, Warner offers to sign them, they accept. (DING DING DING) Sellout.

They are selling themselves to the public.

It's not about the damn music anymore at this point. It's about selling the product. If they weren't capable of creating music that sells, they wouldn't have been signed. Therefore, they keep up with the times either by nature - or the label forces them to..and they are creating the music accordingly.

$$$ <---- ----> $$$

As far as "Critical Thinking" and "Random Thinking":

"How does Chester and Mike need money by doing side projects? First of all, it's a huge risk, seeing as it has a high potential of not being 75% as successful as LP *prob. more*"

I'm not the one creating false percentages from my head.

Peace and Love. <3

So a football player loves playing football. I guess he sold out because he can drafted and signed a contract to the NFL?

You should learn the true definition of selling out. LP plays music as a living, they create the music as the want, of course they will sign a deal that will get them famous and help spread their music across the world. Selling out would be doing whatever that sells at the moment. Trying to reach out to more people is not selling out. You're totally wrong.

omg i have never seen the LPL community so divided on a topic since LPU 8.0 & the fake setlists. Its so amusing but at least you guys are being respectful of each others opinions.

IMO i dont see why you guys are making a big deal out of this review, its just 2 reviews. Are you going to let a single person change how much you love or hate the album? You could make an even bigger statement and rank the album 5 stars on the reviewers websites ;)

So a football player loves playing football. I guess he sold out because he can drafted and signed a contract to the NFL?

You should learn the true definition of selling out. LP plays music as a living, they create the music as the want, of course they will sign a deal that will get them famous and help spread their music across the world. Selling out would be doing whatever that sells at the moment. Trying to reach out to more people is not selling out. You're totally wrong.

I do know the "true definition" of selling out..and it's been posted several times for you to see yourself. Linkin Park could play/create music without having to sell it. Trying to reach out to more people IS selling out. You're not going to reach out to more people by doing something people do not like. Common sense tells them that.

If I got offered a label at this point in time, I would accept. I would love to make a LOT of money from my music and have it distributed. If people buy it...who's feelings am I hurting? I would accept the fact that I sold myself out to a company though for my work to be distributed.

STOP putting a negative label on "sellout". It's not negative, only by opinions - not in actuality.

People should not be doing the whole "Oh...wow! They changed their sound and I don't like it! What a bunch of sellouts!" That makes no sense at all and everyone still tends to do that. Just because it's popular for people to say it doesn't mean it's correct. Hell, if you come to the southern states- everyone says "ain't". You tell them that's not a word but they will gladly argue.

P.S. A football player is not selling a product. He is playing for his own satisfaction and is getting paid by his coach. (Or the NFL. NFL would be Linkin Park and the football game/players are their music. Figure that out yourself because..I see no connection there at all.)

Linkin Park is selling a product. They are making music that connects with people, they have openly admitted to doing this. What band doesn't? Music would be pointless if you didn't try to connect with someone. They just so happened to sign a contract to make profit off of their "connecting".

So compare Linkin Park to the football player. Nothing alike. If you can provide a solid defense to that, I will stand corrected.

Edited by rav0k

yeah dressing like they do is seriously stupid and makes them look weird...

Well, everyone has got him or her style of dressing, right? Other people like the way the guys dress... Black is the "color" to wear when you're fashionable. Black is not only for emos or something alike.

Look at LP a few years back. You can't say they dressed really well back then...Their look war horrible!

Well, everyone has got him or her style of dressing, right? Other people like the way the guys dress... Black is the "color" to wear when you're fashionable. Black is not only for emos or something alike.

Look at LP a few years back. You can't say they dressed really well back then...Their look war horrible!

Well, it's not necessarily just the "black" people are talking about. They wear makeup and stuff too. It doesn't matter in my opinion...an image has nothing to do with the actual music being performed. Look at Buckethead for example...you would take him as a joke. His skills say otherwise.

I don't know how old you are, but they didn't look horrible back then at all. It may look horrible now, but they all had the "skater style" back then, which noone thought looked ugly back then.

you thourt them review are bad you seen this one http://www.advocate-online.net/101609/M_AlbumReview.php

heres some qotes from review

A side project, within a side project,

within a failure

he then chose a producer (Howard Benson) who was fully willing to polish the whole deal up nicely, tell everyone it was great, overproduce the album art and then call it a day.

I don’t think anyone will confuse this for Linkin Park at all. If that was one of Bennington’s objectives when he made this album, then he managed to succeed at something other than creating a musical failure

the song breaks into a yawn-fueled suck-fest

the album art is filled with half-naked 40-somethings sporting too much eye-liner

and theres alot more bad things said in it to

At least they didn't die their hair like a skunk, wear tight ass leather jeans and wear vests as shirts.

Edit: I forgot to add eyeliner! :lol:

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

Allmusic review: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kxfwxztaldde

Consisting of material that Chester Bennington didn't want to hammer into the mold of Linkin Park's electronica-infused nu metal, Out of Ashes finds the singer exploring a moodier hard rock sound, teaming up with co-collaborators Julien-K (a production/synth pop outfit featuring Amir Derahk and Ryan Shuck of Orgy). The album has a more melodic, guitar-centric approach than Bennington's previous work. The Julien-K touch really manifests itself in atmospherics — rather than sitting in the forefront, synths are used more strategically, thickening the sound and filling in the empty spaces. The album's more rocking moments are reminiscent of Velvet Revolver, with riff-driven songs storming out of the gates at full gallop. "Inside of Me" wholly embraces that idea, grabbing the listener from the get-go and relentlessly barreling straight through to the end like some kind of rock & roll Cannonball Run. The album also features a lot of really satisfying melodic moments, making a downtempo shift from time to time and giving the listener a brief respite from all the action. "Fire," the album's opening track, is the star of the show. Bennington's vocals soar over the massive, triumphant chorus, kicking the album off to an epic start. As a whole, Out of Ashes is a solid record and a fine opening volley for Bennington's solo work. While it may not be a terribly adventurous record in the grand scheme of rock & roll, it's certainly a departure from his work with Linkin Park, and should make for a refreshing change for fans who want to see another side of the singer, as well as winning over people who aren't into his other work.