'Over Each Other' Out October 24

martinez

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

How is anybody saying this sounds like One More Light? It's more similar to something like Leave Out All the Rest or Final Masquerade than anything from OML. This is a classic Linkin Park ballad through and through.

I seriously wouldn't know man

I guess every new LP song that isn't at least 200 bpm are gonna be considered OML style🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

How is anybody saying this sounds like One More Light? It's more similar to something like Leave Out All the Rest or Final Masquerade than anything from OML. This is a classic Linkin Park ballad through and through.

The lyrics feel very OML-esque, but the song itself feels like it would've been a Mike MTM or Final Masquerade type song imo.

Meanwhile, used the spotify web player bc phone was updating. Audio was garbage. Youtube audio was so much better.

I like it, but it kinda makes me feel like they take the momentum building in each part and rein it back in for the next section. I would've loved to have it build up how Friendly Fire did

Although I find this the simplest song released so far, this was the best music video. Excellent direction by Joe.

I was quite impressed by Emily's performance, especially considering she's not an actress. The part with the argument in the car featured outstanding acting.

2 minutes ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

Although I find this the simplest song released so far, this was the best music video. Excellent direction by Joe.

I was quite impressed by Emily's performance, especially considering she's not an actress. The part with the argument in the car featured outstanding acting.

I missed seeing videos like this, i would loved some little takes of the band playing the song between some parts (i know that the filming of the main part of the video was when they were on Korea, but they could do some band takes after it)

8 minutes ago, juancpin said:

I’m glad I was right. The final mix and levels are way better than the leak I heard. So much presence of the music. Loving it!!

Oh, you mean the quality. The leak comes from the same source as the DSPs have. But yeah I can agree it have not great quality. No any difference besides that.

That video is great!

I wish we could have the single version of the Over Each Other.

My only real issue with the song is the upbeat drums for the 2nd verse and chorus. I really don't feel like they fit. The 1st verse and chorus have a nice build up to them and the half time bridge and upbeat final chorus act as a great climax and payoff to the song, It's just the 2nd verse and chorus just feel off.

Besides that, yeah I agree that this is a very typical LP Ballad, but I like it for the most part.

3 minutes ago, max91 said:

I missed seeing videos like this, i would loved some little takes of the band playing the song between some parts (i know that the filming of the main part of the video was when they were on Korea, but they could do some band takes after it)

Yes, it turned out really cool.

I think the fact that the song is very short and the dramatic tone they wanted to set in the video made it difficult to include some takes of the band playing.

Good song, better video. I would agree that it's the weakest of the three tracks released so far, but all three have still been very, very solid. I like the overall sound that we're getting a picture of. It is weird, though, to hear and see a Linkin Park song with only Emily's vocals for the first time - obviously that'll become normal as they make more music, but it's still a strange, novel feeling for now.

48 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

The lyrics and melody are very OML, the instrumental in the first verse is very OML, there are no vocals more aggressive than TTM. Even if we didn't know Jon Green was involved I feel like the OML comparison is pretty evident, especially with FF and WAYW considered as OML

Another factor is that almost every second of the song is driven by vocals. No guitar solo, no synth hook, no walls or guitarz. Very OML

Edited by YRQRM0

1 minute ago, Hybrider said:

This song sounds like Miley Cyrus's pop shits. Heavy Is The Crown and The Emptiness Machine are good, but not excellent. But this one is probably the worst song on album.

It also sounds like Justin Bieber's pop shits too. Yuck. WTF was Mike thinking?

One thing idk how I feel about is how blisteringly fast this song moves from one section to another. It feels especially apparent in the bridge with the "are we over each other" part ending as soon as it possibly can for the soft part (which I love), and that part immediately being thrown back into a final big chorus. 

It's one thing to make a song punchy, it's another to cater to today's short attention spans. I can't help but feel like they might have slightly over-optimized the runtime of songs like this and the album in general for brevity 

And I feel like the video kinda exemplifies this with how fast it moves. There's like no context for the relationship between them before the arguing besides one shot of them holding arms in the parking lot. It feels like a storyboard more than a video almost because of how brief it has to be. Feels like this song would've benefitted from the COG treatment with an extended into for the mv 

Cool to have LGBTQ representation in an LP video though, even if not really that explicit 

16 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

t's one thing to make a song punchy, it's another to cater to today's short attention spans. I can't help but feel like they might have slightly over-optimized the runtime of songs like this and the album in general for brevity 

I've thought about that a few times. 

In a way, I'm mildly confident the state of the market has always been in the back of the heads of (some) band members. I re-watched part of the ATS making-of recently, and in there you can see in spots how the band was uncertain and stressed about going full "unconventional" with the song structures and the singles.

It's not at all a criticism about the artistic value of the band.  I just think, maybe even unconsciously, this element has always been there one way or another. The amplitude of the its impact, that's something we can never know for sure though.

That said, when most of the songs you have written in your career are 2:30 to 3:30, you probably also just mostly enjoy writing sweet brief tracks  

Edited by Qwerty18

10 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

In a way, I'm mildly confident the state of the market has always been in the back of the heads of (some) band members. I re-watched part of the ATS making-of recently, and in there you can see in spots how the band was uncertain and stressed about going full "unconventional" with the song structures and the singles.

It's not at all a criticism about the artistic value of the band.  I just think, maybe even unconsciously, this element has always been there one way or another. The amplitude of the its impact, that's something we can never know for sure though.

That said, when most of the songs you have written in your career are 2:30 to 3:30, you probably also just mostly enjoy writing sweet brief tracks  

Yeah I do agree that they've always been trendy. Also, more songs are short than ever, so it makes sense someone like Mike would just naturally dig the trend and it would make its way into his writing whether he's realizing it or not

On the other hand, we've seen Primo become IBG, so I feel like it's pretty plausible that some of these tracks were longer and trimmed for the sake of fitting a vision that maybe didn't necessarily let the song breathe as much as it could've. Whether that's true of OEO or not, it definitely makes me feel like it needs room to breathe sometimes. Like it's a beautiful ballad, let it have some longer dramatic moments and really live in that space 

I think of every OML track as being pretty lean, and yet every track on that album is longer than OEO! 

11 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

Grandson's ILYIT, Sabrina Carpenter's Short n Sweet, and then I've heard others that I can't name rn, all have short track lengths. You're right about the market pushing length down. I think LP's done well so far making the tracks feel largely complete by the end of song without overstaying their welcome

I liked the song from first listen, song structure is a little weird for me it feels like the bridge needed to be another 10-15 seconds with some lyrically variety? 

However, I will say that Joe did a great job on the MV the story made me resonate and like the song even more. 

I think it's been such a great re introduction by the band so far.