2024.09.16 - Brooklyn, New York (Barclays Center)

RogueSoul

What a wild ride it has been for the LP community and LPLive team this past week! We've had a few days to take it all in, but it's time to get things moving once again as the From Zero World Tour continues. Linkin Park performs their second stop of the tour tomorrow, September 16, 2024 in Brooklyn, New York at the Barclays Center. Back in my home turf!

GTC204575H_LINKIN_PARK_WEB_New_size_only

Linkin Park kicked off their tour in a way so immense, Los Angeles, California had an earthquake next morning (actually). Descending upon the Kia Forum on September 11, Linkin Park debuted their brand new production and full setlist to 17.5k fans at their sold-out return show. On top of that, Emily ArmstrongColin Brittain, and Alex Feder delivered an incredible first full show with the band, showcasing all their new energies within the music. While their livestream event on September 5 gave us a taste of what was to come, no one could've been prepared for what they unleashed upon us. Kicking off the night with the 'Inception Intro A' mashup, the band dove right into 'Somewhere I Belong,' making it the first time the song has ever opened a show. Continuing with 'Crawling,' the band then moved onto some deeper cuts, namely 'Lying From You' (which was performed at the livestream event) and 'Points Of Authority,' featuring Mike singing the verses for the first time. Many songs were performed with the new lineup for the first time, including 'Burn It Down,' 'Breaking The Habit,' and 'Castle Of Glass,' the latter of which was performed for the first time as its studio version since Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in August 2013 (not counting 2017's Chester Bennington Memorial Show).

A full recording of Linkin Park's show in Los Angeles, California at the Kia Forum on September 11, 2024.

Speaking of first time's, Linkin Park's Los Angeles setlist was full of major surprises for us live enthusiasts. Within their 27-song, two-hour long setlist (which clocks in at Linkin Park's longest tour show to date) were two live debuts: One More Light-era demo 'Friendly Fire' was performed for the first time ever after being released as a single from this year's Papercuts collection (and was also the only track from that album-era featured in the set), as well as The Hunting Party's 'Keys To The Kingdom,' complete with a stunning performance from Emily and a chant for #JusticeForTheHuntingParty, which didn't have a track featured on the Papercuts album. And while not quite being performed for the first time, many songs were brought back out of the band's backpocket, some of which we never thought we'd hear again! 'My December' was performed with a full-band arrangement (Colin played acoustic guitar and Alex moved offstage), being performed for the first time since the Minutes To Midnight Tour stop in Sacramento, CA in March 2008. After being dropped on the One More Light Tour, 'Given Up' was performed for the first time since Blizzcon 2015, raw with no outro (for the first time since KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas 2007) and Emily doing the bridge some true justice. The full version of 'Lost In The Echo' was performed for the first time since January 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada, in a different key to accommodate Emily's vocal register.

New solo medleys by Joe and Mike debuted, Joe's featuring Colin jamming on drums and Mike's featuring him on guitar for a mashup of 'When They Come For Me' and 'Remember The Name' by Fort Minor. Mike brought some more Fort Minor out later for the extended bridge of their final song 'Bleed It Out,' rapping a verse of 'There They Go' over it. 'New Divide' returned, featuring its fan-favorite 'Moscow Intro' for the third time ever and the first time since Singapore 2011, the final show of the A Thousand Suns World Tour. Other big moments for fans include the 2017 version of 'Leave Out All The Rest,' a new transition called the 'Creation Intro A,' and an epic performance -- now with the whole crowd singing along -- of 'The Emptiness Machine.'

Our view of the live debut of 'Keys To The Kingdom' live from the pit at the Kia Forum. Mark and I will both be in the pit once again at Barclays - who's coming to jam with us? You can check out my other videos from the pit in this playlist.

Linkin Park have never performed in Brooklyn or the Barclays Center before, but are no strangers to New York City. This won't be the first time everyone's been there, however. Mike Shinoda's Post Traumatic Tour brought him to the Barclays Center in December 2018 for ALT 92.3's Not So Silent Night, also featuring CHVRCHES, Death Cab For CutieFlorence + The Machine, and Muse. While short, the set featured the essentials of a Mike Shinoda set: singles like 'Make It Up As I Go' and the 'Over Again,' 'About You,' and 'Papercut' medley set the crowd alight. Fun fact - that show was the last time I had seen Mark until the Kia Forum show! Linkin Park's last proper show in the New York City area also happens to be the first concert I ever went to: the esteemed Madison Square Garden show in February 2011, on the A Thousand Suns Tour. My naive 11-year old brain had no idea what it was seeing: immense performances of 'No More Sorrow,' 'When They Come For Me,' and 'From The Inside,' as well as A Thousand Suns rarities like a full 'Iridescent' and 'Blackout.' This show paired with a Saturday Night Live appearance, featuring 'Waiting For The End' and 'When They Come For Me,' the latter of which was broadcast in black and white - the first time in the show's history that was done. The band visited the city earlier that cycle for the album release show at the Best Buy Theater in October 2010, which featured the live debuts of the interludes and 'Wretches and Kings,' as well as being the first show to ever open with 'New Divide' and close with 'What I've Done.' The Minutes To Midnight Tour saw a healthy amount of shows in the ew York City era, that last of which being Madison Square Garden in February 2008, a legendary show featuring rare tracks like 'In Pieces' and 'In Between,' as well as an incredibly rare Jay-Z appearance, where he joined them for performances of 'Jigga What/Faint' and 'Numb/Encore.' Earlier that same day, the band played a private show at an Apple Store in SoHo, which was recorded and released on iTunes. Earlier on in the cycle, the band celebrated the release of Minutes To Midnight in New York's Webster Hall and rehearsed for next night's Saturday Night Live performance by debuted 'Bleed It Out,' a song that would go on to become a legendary staple in Linkin Park's sets. The band apparently likes to celebrate their album releases in New York... I'll be on the lookout in November.

Also on the band's agenda whenever they're in New York are promo appearances. Their last overall appearances in New York City were in May 2017 in the lead-up to One More Light, including their only proper acoustic show ever in the New York subway at Grand Central Station for Good Morning America and a private performance at Spotify HQ, featuring the title track 'One More Light.' Jumping all the way back to the Meteora era, the band played a couple of smaller shows in 2003 in the buildup to the major world tour in 2004. They performed at the beautiful Hammerstein Ballroom in December 2003 for K-Rock's Claus-Fest, treating fans to highlights like 'Don't Stay' and 'It's Goin' Down.' The band kicked off the era with the LP Underground Tour in March 2003, stopping in New York and hitting upon songs like 'Hit The Floor' and 'Easier To Run' for the first time. Blindside's Christian Lindskog joined the band for their last song, 'One Step Closer' Finally, the band's main appearances in New York City on the Hybrid Theory cycle were early on, once on the Street Soldiers Tour in February 2001, (with a set featuring Hybrid Theory EP rarities like 'And One' and 'High Voltage'), another in November 2000 opening for P.O.D.'s Kings Of The Game Tour, and their very first show in the city in September 2000 on Kottonmouth Kings' Ridin' High Tour, all of which featured truly raw and fresh performances of all the Hybrid Theory favorites like 'A Place For My Head' and 'Forgotten.' What will be the next chapter in Linkin Park's history in New York?

A recording of one of Linkin Park's first shows in New York City during the Hybrid Theory cycle at the Roseland Ballroom in February 2001.

With history being made, we can only ask what else Linkin Park has in store for us. As someone who went to the first show, I would be more than happy to see the exact same setlist again, but that can't stop us from speculating! After all, the physical setlist calls it "Set A," the interludes are all called "Transition A," and Linkin Park likes to play with our emotions. With all that in mind, what can we hope to see at this show, if not for more of the same? Emily did claim she had to learn upwards of 50 songs while in rehearsals for this tour, which have lasted months. There are some slots set up for possible rotations: a couple different heavy songs could be switched out earlier on, perhaps 'No More Sorrow' or a full 'A Place For My Head' would be awesome. Or after heaving its moment of glory earlier this year, perhaps 'QWERTY' deserves a spot in the setlist again. The set notably misses One More Light songs besides the b-side 'Friendly Fire' - perhaps due to the heavy emotional nature of the album. But fans would definitely love to hear tracks like 'Heavy,' 'Nobody Can Save Me,' or 'Talking To Myself' if they were to draw from the record. Perhaps #JusticeForTheHuntingParty will continue with another song from the album - they could play it safe with singles like 'Guilty All The Same' or 'Final Masquerade,' or really surprise us with a song like 'A Line In The Sand' or even 'All For Nothing?' One thing we learned at the Forum is that anything is possible with these sets, and even if nothing changes, we really will be on the edge of our seats to see what they'll be up to at the Barclays Center. We must also discuss the true possibility of a Collision Course reunion seeing as we are in New York City now. What does the band have in store for us in the Big Apple?

Opening these American dates and the upcoming European dates is grandson, a.k.a. Mike Shinoda's music world son. He was just as excited as we were in Los Angeles, asking the crowd during his set, "are you ready to be a part of music history tonight? No, that's not good enough. Are you ready for the return for the greatest show in music, Linkin Park?!" To put the icing on the cake, he opened with the ending of Mike Shinoda's 'Running From My Shadow,' celebrating his relationship with him -- and now the band -- before kicking into his own tracks like '6:00' and 'Riptide.' He even took time to have the crowd think of all the people who couldn't be here to join us on this journey, who we wish were during the slower song 'Heather.' He got the energy flowing back up by the end, leaving off with his hit 'Blood / Water.' Show up early if you can, because there is truly no better person to be opening these shows than a fellow fan like grandson himself.

grandson opening his set with Mike Shinoda's 'Running From My Shadow' and his song '6:00.' Will Mike come out to join him for the song in New York?

Who will we be seeing in New York tomorrow?! Mark (Hahninator) and I (Dylan) are back for our second show of the tour and will be in the city by the late afternoon to get ready for the show! If you see us, be sure to say what's up! Weatherman Rogue Soul reporting a mostly brisk and cloudy day in Brooklyn, so not much to worry about on that front. If you want to grab merch before the show, a pop-up stand will be located at Flashbush Ave. and 5th Ave from 12pm to 6pm, and will be open even if you don't have a ticket. LPU Early Entry queuing begins at 8am - check the LPUnderground information here if you would like to enter that way. Linkin Park will be performing on Jimmy Fallon the day after this show on September 17 with an interview with Mike Shinoda, so tune in that night if you can! After that, the band heads to Europe to kick off the next leg of the From Zero World Tour, with shows in Hamburg and London, with Seoul soon after that. The band's new album From Zero is out November 15.

We'll be updating you guys from home here and on our social media, so be sure to follow us if you don't already (Twitter/X, Instagram, and Facebook)! Rumors are stirring about another new song called 'Heavy Is The Crown' being released soon in conjunction with the new season of Arcane - Mike Shinoda, twenty one pilots, and more have already teased their involvement with the project. Be on the lookout for little pop-up appearances like this Jimmy Fallon appearance as well in whichever city they head to!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could remove screen songs from the setlist, give up, Faint ,LFY etc, leave just Bleed and One step close, Emily proved that she can't do it, on the other hand songs without drive or with higher notes she proved to be great, maybe the new album will have more pop songs or rock heavy without needing to shout

Edited by HybridSoldier.LP

55 minutes ago, HybridSoldier.LP said:

I could remove screen songs from the setlist, give up, pass out, leave just Bleed and One step close, Emily proved that she can't do it, on the other hand songs without drive or with higher notes she proved to be great, maybe the new album will have more pop songs or rock heavy without needing to shout

Emily proved that she can't do it? She proved herself to be more than capable and sounds great on like about 95% of stuff we've heard her on

Edited by Rockter

5 hours ago, HybridSoldier.LP said:

I could remove screen songs from the setlist, give up, pass out, leave just Bleed and One step close, Emily proved that she can't do it, on the other hand songs without drive or with higher notes she proved to be great, maybe the new album will have more pop songs or rock heavy without needing to shout

Reading this post gave me a headache… great job with the Limewire song titles. 

8 hours ago, HybridSoldier.LP said:

Man, I think you haven't seen her singing Keys to the Kingdom. 😅

It's different from what we're used to, but she knows how to scream really well.

I absolutely loved "My December" last week in L.A. It was so sweet and tender.

Imagine they do "Blackbirds", I would melt for that alone.

Also, I'd love to see "From the inside" and "Nobody's listening". An "With You". And "Figure.09". And "Iridescent". And "Talking to myself"... and... you get the point.

Even Chester wouldn't always do justice to Given Up and some other screamed songs. People are remembering and comparing Emily to studio Chester or best performances Chester.

The Faint bridge, for example, he wasn't even properly screaming anymore for years.

Edited by vinifeijo

Posting on here for the first time in years…how surreal. I’m currently live at Barclays Center ready to roll with my early merch obtained. Plenty of food around here and plenty of LP fans to chat with. Good vibes. Say hey if you see me, I’m rocking a custom LP jean vest today. Let’s do this thing just like we used to.

3 good things of the new lineup:

As some of you said, Chester, for obvious reasons, couldn't do some things as in the studio version, this is why they probably didn't play Given Up anymore. Emily right now has a fresh voice and can do it.

Shows over two hours: LP is one of those bands whose catalog is versatile enough to keep things interesting over that time. They're not the Ramones.

New songs: They are willing to resurrect some obscure tracks. We can ask and they might deliver. The 2012-2015 period was more of a legacy band than a band with actual things to say with their music.