2024.09.11 - Los Angeles, California (KIA Forum // From Zero World Tour Kickoff)

RogueSoul

2 hours ago, igus said:

It might just be too hard for them. Playing One More Light and mentioning Chester every other song would be, like someone said, a major mood killer. Hollywood Bowl 2017 already happened. We'll never forget him. Telling the audience that they are signing for Chester for the entire night is very gracefully done. 

I can't even listen to OML (the song). When I play Papercuts in my car, I skip that track. I'm not ready for the rush of emotions when I go pick up groceries or visit my family. The only time I can do it is when I'm alone after a couple beers… Then I even challenge myself not to cry. Sometimes I manage to, sometimes I fail. 

It might even partially be the reason Rob left the band and Brad doesn't want to play live. Brad looked very upset for the majority of the Hollywood Bowl show. Or when Chris Cornell died, and they played OML on Kimmel's, he almost broke down looking at Chester towards the end of the song. These things are difficult. And the careful dosage of mentions of Chester is there for a reason. 

On the other note, I've finished watching the recording of the show. I'm surprised they played Breaking The Habit. I thought they retired that song. My December was beautiful and totally unexpected. They're treating us well. Friendly Fire sounded very good for what it is. Keys to the Kingdom is a dream come true for me. Great to hear that they are not done with The Hunting Party. 

Everyone deals with grief in their own way, but for example, Avenged Sevenfold uses the vocals of their late drummer at every show.

I don’t think it should be at every performance, but we’re talking about their first official show in seven years. Even with the message of moving forward without erasing the past, I think a tribute was important.

I think this might have been the most unexpected thing about the show. Of course, since it's something personal, I can't demand a stance from them and say they're wrong. I think there was a lack of sensitivity, but it wasn't a mistake... It was just a detail that could have been avoided.

1 hour ago, vinifeijo said:

They played Breaking The Habit, they played Friendly Fire, they have a new song, they are touring around the world.

They're moving on, looking ahead. They will respect the past, sure, but they won't be stuck on it crying or mourning over Chester at every concert.

This is Linkin Park. Chester would LOVE they just kept going.

I think having a tribute at every show could actually make it seem like they are profiting from a tragedy, which we know is not the band's style. Now, I just think that the first official show in seven years should have had more mentions of Chester. That's all... but I respect your opinion.

1 hour ago, Michelbeats said:

Well said! I fully agree!

I always skip OML (the song) even when it comes on the radio, I don't want to be sad all day.

Also during the Post Traumatic tour Mike honored Chester!

I'm happy they're having fun and enjoying to be back outside again.

It's 2024,

they have a new song out, a new album is on the way, LPTV is back, plus they're performing!

Personally I am extremely grateful for all of this.

I think the difference is that they are using the band's name for the first time in seven years. I think it's different, especially because of the attempt to move forward with the band's legacy.

TO WRAP UP THE SUBJECT: I may not have expressed myself in the best way. I think there could have been a tribute moment since it was the first show in 7 years, but that doesn't mean they acted wrongly by not doing so. Everyone deals with grief and tries to move on with their life in different ways.

I loved the show, and it was the most emotional one I've ever attended. It's just a detail that caught me off guard, as I thought Chester would be more 'present.' It might have been an expectation that wasn’t fulfilled.

I loved the show, and it was one of the most special days of my life! I didn’t want this to come across as criticism.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think during the Post Traumatic Tour Mike talked a lot about Chester, so I think at this point it is okay to not make a real tribute during the show. Also, they should only do it if they feel like it, not if they feel like they have to.

What I noticed however is that they take more time to talk to the crowd overall. The  last couple of times I saw them they were basically just playing the set with a couple of "thank yous" in between, which came across as "too professional" for some people at times.

35 minutes ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

I think having a tribute at every show could actually make it seem like they are profiting from a tragedy, which we know is not the band's style. Now, I just think that the first official show in seven years should have had more mentions of Chester. That's all... but I respect your opinion.

Yeah, but then people at future shows would be like, “why didn't we get to honor Chester like the LA crowd did?” The band wants to give the audience a fairly equal experience in every city. It is somewhat of a traveling circus. 

1 hour ago, igus said:

Yeah, but then people at future shows would be like, “why didn't we get to honor Chester like the LA crowd did?” The band wants to give the audience a fairly equal experience in every city. It is somewhat of a traveling circus. 

You have a point! I hadn't thought of it that way.

Watched parts of the show again today, and the band really was on fire. They seem so overexcited to play again.

Hoping we somehow manage to get a proshot of one of those pre-album shows in the future, that'd be awesome.

Edited by Qwerty18

20 hours ago, Sukotto said:

There’s another recording out 

Watching this one just noticed that Mike plays the synth part during the bridge of Burn it down while he's singing. Until now Brad was the one who played it live on Mike's keyboard. 

2 hours ago, Yucker said:

Watching this one just noticed that Mike plays the synth part during the bridge of Burn it down while he's singing. Until now Brad was the one who played it live on Mike's keyboard. 

Wow what a great catch. There are so many interesting things in the show like this. Joe playing the piano parts on Emptiness Machine, etc. 

Added some sources to the show page and edited some notes, songs, etc. Happy with it for now. Interested in the Breaking the Habit intro tonight - the crash sample was there but nothing else for LA. 

On 9/13/2024 at 11:29 PM, LeonardoMF93 said:

After an 18-hour flight, I’m back in Brazil and have some thoughts about the concert I attended in Los Angeles that took place on Wednesday.

2) Since Mike is appearing more, at times it felt like it was his own show. This opened up many opportunities to make the show more appealing and break away from the pattern the band had between 2012 and 2017, when their shows saw little innovation.

- Wdym, his own show? and what pattern you noticed in 2012 and 2017 that is not present in 2024 shows?

Edited by RYG4R