2024.09.11 - Los Angeles, California (KIA Forum // From Zero World Tour Kickoff)

RogueSoul

Can you feel it in the air? The magic of the first full Linkin Park show in seven years? I am currently writing this 35,000 feet in the air as I make the journey from New Jersey to California for what may perhaps be one of this fanbase's biggest moments ever, and man, where do we begin? After last week's massive unveiling of the next chapter of Linkin Park and the From Zero album promotion and tour, the band are set to take the stage at the KIA Forum in Inglewood, Los Angeles, California on September 11, 2024 for the kick off of this year's From Zero World Tour with a sold-out show.

GTC204575H_LINKIN_PARK_WEB_New_size_only

Linkin Park shocked the world last week at the genesis of their September 5 Livestream Event, where 500 lucky, unwitting LPU fans got to witness the world premiere of the new Linkin Park at Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles while hundreds of thousands watched on from elsewhere in the world. New vocalist Emily Armstrong, new drummer/co-producer Colin Brittain (as Rob Bourdon has stepped away from the band), and Brad Delson's live stand-in (as he later announced he will not be making live appearances on this touring cycle) guitarist Alex Feder were introduced to the world as they ran through new music and breathing new life into the band's classics. The show kicked off with a brand new mashup intro -- listed on the setlist as 'Inception Intro A' -- featuring parts of 'The Requiem,' 'Castle Of Glass,' 'In The End,' 'Numb,' and 'Somewhere I Belong' before launching straight into the world premiere of their new single 'The Emptiness Machine,' making it the first time any fans in the world had ever heard the song. Emily made the stage and the song her own, as her incredible vocals won over the crowd and us watching at home alike.

Many of the band's biggest singles were brought back out of their storage units as well, some being performed in different keys to accommodate Emily's voice. Songs like 'Crawling,' 'What I've Done,' 'In The End' were played with these changes - in fact, a total of ten songs were played differently than how we are all accustomed to hearing them. Other songs, like 'The Catalyst' and 'Papercut,' remained unchanged (perhaps because they are more Mike-centric songs). The latter showed off a bit of what Colin brings to the table, particularly in the second verse where he changes up the drum patterns, add some fills, and altogether adds a new kick to an already essential live song. While pretty much every song performed was a single in some capacity, many of us live enthusiasts know the band still brought out some deep treats for the crowd. 'Lying From You' was performed as its studio version for the first time since Taiwan 2013, making it over ten years since the song was last played like this. On The Hunting Party Tour in 2014 and 2015, the band performed a new version of Collision Course's 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You,' which means the last appearance of the song in any Linkin Park-related setlist was in January 2015 in Nashville, Tennessee. On top of that, the Mike Shinoda and Emily performed a shortened, stripped-down piano version of 'Lost' for the very first time, awing the crowd in the process. Some old intros and outros found some new kicks too, the familiar 'One Step Closer' outro and the 'Faint' outro both having slight changes, as well as the 'Numb/Encore' intro to 'Numb' being a little more of a jam session than in previous iterations. New intros were added to 'Waiting For The End' and 'One Step Closer,' while new transitions also helped the setlist flow. 'Bleed It Out' naturally closed the show, the full live spectacle of it brought back to life, complete with Mike rapping the first verse of 'A Place For My Head' over the extended bridge. If this doesn't sound like a band back in action at full force, I don't know what does.

The world premiere of 'The Emptiness Machine,' filmed live at Linkin Park's September 5 event in Los Angeles, California.

While the first show back gave us a perspective on what this new chapter of Linkin Park may sound like and how old songs have evolved, there are still many questions we have going into this one. Linkin Park will be debuting their arena setup at the Forum (which can be seen throughout the band's interview with Zane Lowe), performing for the first time in the center of the arena in a 360 format. Mike has made multiple claims on Discord about some aspects of the show, including information that it will be at least two hours long, Mike and Brad have both personally curated the setlists (notice the plural there), and that the band will be switching sides of the stage halfway through the show. We can expect at least the 14 songs from the livestream show to be performed, perhaps with some rotating out of songs ('Lying From You' could be swapped out for another heavy classic like 'Points Of Authority' or 'From The Inside,' for example), but beyond that, it's really anyone's guess. Some notable tracks missing from that event include anything from the band's previous three albums: 'Burn It Down,' 'Castle Of Glass,' 'New Divide,' 'Leave Out All The Rest,' 'Heavy...' The list can go on with a band with this many singles. Clearly, the band isn't taking just from the Papercuts collection to formulate these setlists, and with a new lineup and many, many years of planning, there's really no telling what will make and what won't. 

We can certainly speculate though! Linkin Park has too many tracks going back that simply thrive in a live setting: 'When They Come For Me,' 'No More Sorrow,' 'A Place For My Head,' 'Lost In The Echo,' and dozens more. Mike mentioned in an interview that the band have been relearning 'Breaking The Habit' in a new key, Emily mentioned learning nearly 50 songs, and some new gear has been spotted in Mike Shinoda's touring rig (including an acoustic guitar and new guitars that he began using during his COVID Twitch livestreams). Some more Mike-centric tracks like 'Castle Of Glass,' 'Roads Untraveled,' and 'Sorry For Now' could be in the books, too. We could even see some Shinoda solo tracks make their way into the setlist - a lot of people would be happy to see proper live debuts of songs like 'Already Over' and 'fine,' and with grandson opening these first few shows, maybe even 'Running From My Shadow' could be on the menu (Phoenix has previously joined Mike to perform the song, as well). 'QWERTY' had a resurgence this year after being released as a single for Papercuts, as well as the new track 'Friendly Fire' from the One More Light sessions being unleashed upon the world could put those in the running, as well. A full version of 'Lost,' whether full band or acoustic, would also be a great treat. The possibilities are endless, especially since this show should clock in at about double the length as the livestream show. Their whole discography is fair game at the moment, and only time will tell what should expect. The prospect of multiple setlists is also exciting, meaning that we might see a wide selection of different songs between shows this month. It seems fair to guess that 'The Emptiness Machine' will open up to show, but even that isn't a given! Maybe a new song or two might even make an appearance, with rumors that a new single 'Heavy Is The Crown' could be on its way. What song would you want the band to bring back out the most?

Linkin Park performed 'Roads Untraveled' for the first time ever at their Chester Bennington Memorial Show in October 2017 at the Hollywood Bowl. Mike Shinoda also performed the song throughout his Post Traumatic Tour - we would definitely love to see this song get a little more action in Linkin Park sets as we move into a new era.

That all being side, whatever Linkin Park whip out at the show, they'll at least be in familiar territory. Los Angeles is the band's hometown, so it's no surprise that they're kicking off things there: this will be the band's 67th show in the city since 2000 (including private events, award shows, and otherwise) and their fourth show at the KIA Forum, formerly known as just The Forum. The band first played this venue in 2004 on the Meteora World Tour, taking place on March 14, 2004 after being rescheduled from February 6 as a result of Chester struggling with both bronchitis and laryngitis at the time. This made the new date the final stop on the winter leg of their US run that year, hitting the city with an unreal amount of Meteora tour classics: 'It's Goin' Down,' 'Nobody's Listening,' and 'Don't Stay' were featured in the setlist alongside other deep cuts like 'My December' and Reanimation's 'P5hng Me A*wy.' Sonny Sandoval from P.O.D. also joined the band for 'One Step Closer.' On the Minutes To Midnight Tour in July 2007, lucky fans were treated to breakfast before watching Linkin Park rehearse at the venue for that year's Projekt Revolution which kicked off the next week as part of KROQ's Kevin and Bean's Breakfast Show, treating them to special performances of new songs like 'What I've Done' and 'Leave Out All The Rest,' as well as an aborted and restarted 'Pushing Me Away' piano version. Linkin Park's most recent show there was in December 2014, at that year's KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas, which featured a very unique set that opened with Joe Hahn's solo medley into 'Burn It Down.' one of only two times that the latter was the band's opening song of the night. The band essentially played the second half of their tour setlist as their selection for this show, adding a rare performance of 'Rebellion' where the encore break would be, and were joined by System Of A Down guitarist Daron Malakian (who appears on the studio version) to play the song. This show should be one the band's most important entries into their Los Angeles history yet, and hopefully when they tour next year (as they've been mentioning that 2025 will see Linkin Park touring heavily) we can take another look back at this show and be even more excited for what's to follow.

And we can't have a pre-show post without mentioning the opener, who many in the fanbase already know and love. grandson will be opening the first four shows of the tour (every stop except Seoul and Bogota In November), bringing his rebellious tracks mixed with the rap and rock fervor that could have been inspired by Linkin Park to their stage before they go on. grandson featured on the previously mentioned 'Running From My Shadow' from Mike Shinoda's 2018 solo album Post Traumatic, and joined him onstage a handful of times, including in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in October 2018 (fun fact: I was also a guest onstage with Mike that night! I got to play guitar on 'Roads Untraveled'). While that was most of our introduction to the then-upcoming artist, he has since carved his own space in the industry. You can expect to hear some of his biggest songs during his set, including 'Darkside' and 'Dirty,' as well as classic hits such as 'Blood // Water' and '6:00.' Maybe we'll even see a Shinoda appearance during his set?

Mike Shinoda performing 'Running From My Shadow' with live guest grandson at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas 2018. Will we see this again on this tour since everyone is touring together?

If you're heading to the show, be sure to stay hydrated and cool as much as you can throughout the day! Much of western California is under an Excessive Heat Warning today, and while that is set to expire tonight, the California sun can still be unforgiving, especially to us traveling there. For more information of the weather in Los Angeles the next few days, click here. But with a great deal of Linkin Park fans heading to both Los Angeles and New York in the coming days, it'll be a great time to meet up with old friends, grab some food and drinks, and get excited for what's to come! Doors are scheduled to open at 6:00pm PST, with music from grandson kicking off at 7:00pm. Linkin Park will likely take the stage sometime between 8:00pm and 9:15pm. If you are in Los Angeles today (September 10) already, an official pop-up merch stand will be opened outside the Forum from 5:00pm to 8:00pm PST if you want to skip tomorrow's lines and grab your stuff today!

Are you ready? LPLive will not only have you covered on what's going on with updates, but three members of the team will be in Los Angeles the next few days around the show! Myself (Dylan), Mark (Hahninator) and Anthony (Astat) will be amok in the streets of Hollywood, so say hi if you see us around or at the show! Linkin Park's next stop on the From Zero World Tour is in Brooklyn, New York next Monday, September 16 (Mark and I will be at that show, too) before they head to Europe and Asia for shows in Hamburg, London, and Seoul. The band's new album From Zero is out November 15. LPLive has some news of its own - during the period of inactivity, we began moving over our live guide to Linkinpedia, and now things are all ready to go! Check out our new show pages on Linkinpedia and let us know how you like them. For the latest updates on the band and their upcoming live shows, be sure to sign up on the forums and follow us on social media (Twitter/X, Instagram, and Facebook)!

We are super excited to kick off this next journey with Linkin Park together. See you guys soon on the road!

SOUNDCHECK:

xx. The Emptiness Machine

SETLIST:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve posted this in the forum before but I’m genuinely worried about the security of the band and the audience in this show. 
Regarding the backlash they’ve been receiving I’m a bit scared about the fact that Jaime Bennington (Chester’s oldest son) just got tickets to this show. We all know how unstable he is especially after the last few days. Check his instagram if you want to know more.

Maybe I’m a bit paranoid but I think it’s fair to point this out.

13 minutes ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

Guys, what time does the show start and when do the gates open? The ticket says 7pm but that's all.

put it in the post near the bottom. Doors at 6pm, grandson starts at 7. LP probably start between 8 and 9

Do we know what time Linkin Park goes on stage on the 11th? Going to scour Instagram and twitch for livestreams. Maybe someone will pull through like how every Taylor Swift show has someone streaming the whole show.

Unless they surprise us with a live stream of it themselves. That would be hype!

I used to watch every Taylor show livestream. At least the US dates. Hoping something similar happens for LP.

Edited by Bliss

I'm really curious to hear her on softer songs like anything from OML, Iridescent, Shadow of the Day etc. 

And I really hope for the live premiere of some songs we never got. Powerless, Mark The Graves and Halfway Right would all be really cool to me. 

2 hours ago, ChaseChief said:

I’ve posted this in the forum before but I’m genuinely worried about the security of the band and the audience in this show. 
Regarding the backlash they’ve been receiving I’m a bit scared about the fact that Jaime Bennington (Chester’s oldest son) just got tickets to this show. We all know how unstable he is especially after the last few days. Check his instagram if you want to know more.

This is exactly why they can’t denounce Scientology. It puts them all in danger. I also think the lyrics of TEM is her denouncing Scientology without publicly saying anything as to not put anyone in danger. It’s the same reason why Taylor Swift never said anything when the Vienna shows were cancelled due to the planned terrorist attack. It puts people in danger to speak up. Not only could it danger the Emily but it could also danger the band and the fans at the show.

I am sure we all remember the Ariana Grande Manchester bombing, especially since Chester gave a speech about it. That attack was an attack without any reason to even attack people. Imagine if Taylor Swift or Linkin Park gave someone an actual reason to attack. If people are willing to attack for no reason, imagine a world in where either of them speak up and give people a reason to attack. 
Both Taylor Swift and Linkin Park are in my top 4 artists of all time and twitter is so annoying right now with everyone mad that Taylor Swift won’t talk about politics and mad that Linkin Park won’t talk about Scientology. I can 99% guarantee you that both are keeping silent for people’s safety.

Edited by Bliss

2 hours ago, Igussek said:

I have high expectations for the setlist. Maybe there will be songs that have never been played live...

Powerless, Halfway Right for example.

I beg for a THP deep cut. At this point, I'll take any THP song. Not sure why that album became the bastard child of the discography but I love it. 

45 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

I beg for a THP deep cut. At this point, I'll take any THP song. Not sure why that album became the bastard child of the discography but I love it. 

I wonder if the band thinks it’s their worst album? If so I’d agree with the band haha

but it does suck for anyone who does like it.

also despite it being my last place on the rankings it still has some of my all time favorite Linkin Park songs that also deserve to be played live such as Mark the Graves, Rebellion, and Final Masquerade 

Edited by Bliss

I can really feel the joy in this write-up. We really are back.

I will take literally anything for this show. They could do the entire Papercuts tracklist in order and I'd be losing my mind for every song, because every song is fresh, every song is going to feel new in some way with Emily singing. The key changes will take some getting used to - In the End in particular sounded really, really weird - and I do hope that Emily's voice holds up better than it did on the livestream, but I have full confidence that this show will be incredible. Maybe even some brave soul could stream it from their phone for all of us, lmao.

In any case, I'll absolutely be setlist-watching for these shows. Can't wait for tomorrow.

4 hours ago, RogueSoul said:

We are super excited to kick off this next journey with Linkin Park together. See you guys soon on the road!

I have missed pre-show posts so much!!! This all still feels so surreal. "Linkin Park's tour kicks off tomorrow" is a sentence that I sometimes doubted we'd ever be able to say again. I am so happy that they're back, and I can't wait for 2025 tour announcements. I hope to see some of you at the hopefully multiple shows I am able to attend!

1 hour ago, HT_lash said:

over 2 hours of show!!! this is going to be crazy!!!

Note: Does anyone know what the longest show in LP's history was to date?

The Chester tribute.

And for "normal" shows, the last UK tour. 

5 hours ago, ChaseChief said:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. With how unstable Jamie has been recently, I'm genuinely scared he's gonna try something at this show. I'm really scared for Linkin Park's safety. 

17 minutes ago, shadowmoses said:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. With how unstable Jamie has been recently, I'm genuinely scared he's gonna try something at this show. I'm really scared for Linkin Park's safety. 

I would assume the band and by extension the security team must be aware. After all, the media was covering his streams on monday. I hope he gets the help he needs on time because he seems completely gone since a while ago. Most of his online interactions online seem to be with full-fledged tinfoil-wearing conspirationists.

That aside, I'm stocked about the band being back on the road! I've been long absent from the website, but I've kept lurking here and there through the years. I hope I get to meet a few of the ppl from the community, it's my first US show! Way back thenbI was living in Chile, but now I'm in Canada, which makes it easier to get there 😅