Rob Bourdon Steps Away From Linkin Park

LPLStaff

As the band stepped on stage in Los Angeles this week, there was a new face to the crowd - Colin Brittain.

In interviews this week, Mike Shinoda spoke about Rob Bourdon's absences and his decision to leave the band to Billboard:

"Rob had said to us at a point, I guess it was a few years ago now, that he wanted to put some distance between himself and the band. And we understood that — it was already apparent. He was starting to just show up less, be in less contact, and I know the fans noticed it too. The Hybrid Theory rerelease and Papercuts release, he didn’t show up for anything. So for me, as a friend, that was sad, but at the same time, I want him to do whatever makes him happy, and obviously everybody wishes him the best.

I had done sessions with Colin — I met him around 2021, when I got an invite to a session with a couple of different writers, and Colin was one of the guys in the room, and I immediately clicked with him. He’s playing drums in the live show, and drums are his first instrument, but he plays guitar and bass and keyboard, and he produces and mixes. We have a similar way of looking at music, of starting from scratch, and I really enjoyed working with him and bouncing ideas back-and-forth. I don’t know if any of these songs are going to be released, but we had done something with grandson, Bea Miller, Sueco — just getting in the room together to make stuff. And then when Linkin Park started making stuff, for whatever we were going to do, it was just like, “Oh, Colin. We’re making stuff. You should come over.”"

Talking to Zane Lowe, he said:

"We had a conversation a little while ago, a couple years ago at this point, where he said he wanted to step away. We didn't talk about that in public because we didn't know how that would work out. The fans noticed it, we released a bunch of things and he wasn't apart of any of the interviews or marketing. And that's why. We’ll always love the guy. We'll always respect the wonderful things we’ve built together. With his absence being a real thing, I was already working with Colin."

While Rob is not a member of the band moving forward, we are thankful for the music and lasting memories he created with Linkin Park.

Really sad to see Rob leave, but I'm glad we at least have closure. Rob's status was legitimately a question mark for years among the fanbase that would come up every time LP would reconvene for a release starting with HT20.

This all reminds me a lot of John Deacon's story. He was Queen's bass player. When Freddie Mercury died, he only performed with the band at Freddie's tribute concert and a charity concert before leaving the music industry entirely. When Queen decided to continue with a new vocalist, Deacon declined. He just didn't want to do it anymore without Freddie.

The difference is that I hope Rob is present when LP goes into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I hope we get more details about this someday. All we know is that Rob had "a conversation" with the band a few years ago - did he officially quit the band then? Because Mike talks about Rob not showing up for Papercuts, and that was only this April. So was it more of a thing where Rob's status was in limbo and they didn't finalize he departure until recently?

I know Rob doesn't owe us anything but selfishly I wish he would record a quick goodbye video so we could understand his reasoning and get some closure. All these lineup changes are just so jarring because LP had the same lineup for 20 years.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand Rob not wanting to participate in a new phase. It might be a mistaken perception, but I've always had the feeling that in recent years he wasn't that interested in this career and was there due to contractual obligations.

Now, the least he could do is release a statement thanking the fans.

Either way, I wish him the best. He was very kind when I met him.

38 minutes ago, nickishere12345 said:

I hope we get more details about this someday. All we know is that Rob had "a conversation" with the band a few years ago - did he officially quit the band then? Because Mike talks about Rob not showing up for Papercuts, and that was only this April. So was it more of a thing where Rob's status was in limbo and they didn't finalize he departure until recently?

I know Rob doesn't owe us anything but selfishly I wish he would record a quick goodbye video so we could understand his reasoning and get some closure. All these lineup changes are just so jarring because LP had the same lineup for 20 years.

he said hybrid theory and papercuts

he mixed up

he didn't show up since M20

43 minutes ago, nickishere12345 said:

Mike said that they didn't talk about that conversation in public before because they weren't sure how it was going to work out.

Piecing it together from other things the band has said about the last 5-6 years, it seems like Rob was not as into meeting up to hang out/work on music as the other guys. There may have been a conversation where Rob said he didn't want to attend the sessions they were occasionally having, before there were any serious thoughts of an LP reunion. That would've led to the need for a real, definitive answer once it became clear that the songs being written were LP songs, and that an LP album/tour was on the horizon. That's where I think Rob's departure would've been finalized and made official.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Mike said that they didn't talk about that conversation in public before because they weren't sure how it was going to work out.

Piecing it together from other things the band has said about the last 5-6 years, it seems like Rob was not as into meeting up to hang out/work on music as the other guys. There may have been a conversation where Rob said he didn't want to attend the sessions they were occasionally having, before there were any serious thoughts of an LP reunion. That would've led to the need for a real, definitive answer once it became clear that the songs being written were LP songs, and that an LP album/tour was on the horizon. That's where I think Rob's departure would've been finalized and made official.

I really think that's what happened.

I wrote this before, but I think Rob was in the right place at the right time when the band became famous, also because of his talent. I don’t know, I always had the impression that he and Joe (he proved me wrong) weren’t that enthusiastic about the career itself.

When Chester passed away, Rob must have felt like his chapter was over too. Maybe it was a feeling he already had, but due to tours, albums, contracts, and respect for the other members, he couldn't act on it.

The problem is that it’s all speculation because he just disappeared. It's not the other members' role to explain Rob's reasons, so he could have taken five minutes or asked someone from his team to write a farewell message, or at least record a video.

Will we never know anything more about him?

16 minutes ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

The problem is that it’s all speculation because he just disappeared. It's not the other members' role to explain Rob's reasons, so he could have taken five minutes or asked someone from his team to write a farewell message, or at least record a video.

Yeah, I think we all understand if Rob wanted to leave for whatever reason, all of the reasons floated are perfectly valid, it’s the fact that we essentially got ghosted that feels weird.

Rob does not owe this fandom any sort of statement or explanation, lol. Chill out with that. If Mike is speaking for him in these interviews, it means either that Rob is fine with the band setting the narrative, or that he’ll come out and say something separately if he thinks it’s off-base or he wants to announce his own thing. I don’t mind one bit if we never hear from Rob again, because that’ll be his call.

9 minutes ago, gorast said:

Rob does not owe this fandom any sort of statement or explanation, lol. Chill out with that. If Mike is speaking for him in these interviews, it means either that Rob is fine with the band setting the narrative, or that he’ll come out and say something separately if he thinks it’s off-base or he wants to announce his own thing. I don’t mind one bit if we never hear from Rob again, because that’ll be his call.

I totally disagree. Okay, he doesn't need to explain his reasons, but I think it would be courteous of him to say goodbye, both to the fans and to the band. It's worth remembering that the fans are an important part of the success he has achieved

Not sure if some of you still remember this, but during the Covid Sessions on Twitch, Mike said he texted Rob, couple days prior to the stream but hasn't responded to him. Must have been around (2020-2021)

Which made sense why you haven't seen or heard from him with the HT20 Meteora20 Celebrations.

Part of me is sad, but I understand it.

I'm thankful to have seen him play live several times and wish him all the best!

Sad, but kinda expected. One thing is being absent from social media; the other is not showing up at all for Meteora 20th or the 20 Instagram clips for Papercuts when all other band members were there. 

Wish there's no kind of bad blood between Rob and the band.

Hope he enjoys the rest of his liife, and thanks for all the amazing music :) 

On 9/7/2024 at 5:26 PM, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

he said hybrid theory and papercuts

he mixed up

he didn't show up since M20

Yeah that's what i remember, also @Krakartojust linked a YT video of his last appearance and it was during HT20.

Just to throw my thoughts into the mix. One of my all time favorite bands alongside Linkin Park is the swedish metal band In Flames, a band that I have seen live over 10 times (I lost count somewhere aroud 11-12 concerts) They've been around since the 90s and I became a fan around 2006 in my ealy teenage years. Since then the band has changed it's line up A LOT of times, now being at the stage where no one from the first release (Lunar Strain) is actually still in the band, and only two members of the considered "classic In Flames"-line up remains - the vocalist and lead guitarist, who are still the main songwriters of the group. With that said, the last time I saw them live, in 2022, was one of the absolute best In Flames concert I have ever been to. I can't remember last time the band was so tight. And on top of that, last year they released one of the best albums of their entire career (Foregone).

Did it hurt a bit everytime someone left the band? Of course it did. But over time I got over it. I keep focusing on the importance of the members in a band WANTING to be in the band. While it is natural to want your heroes to remain in a band, you don't want your heroes to stay in a band not giving 100% anymore. 

My point is: Yes, it sucks that Rob is no longer in the band, and it's sad that Brad won't be playing live concerts. But i'm sure we will get over it. We will accept it. And I think in the long run it is probably for the best. If I can get over In Flames changing band members more often than I change my socks (kidding), I can move forward without Rob on the drums and brad on stage. 

The future of the band is brighter than it's been in a very long time. Let's stay positive and wish Rob and Brad the best :)

Edited by LennyTobell
spelling error

As an introvert, one can recognize another one, and we all know he's clearly introverted.

He didn't like photo shoots, wasn't fond of video making. It's quite astounding the things he's done for 20 years. I couldn't do it.

He's my favorite, and I'm devastated to know we will never see him again, never see him play. 

His entire adult life has been this band. I feel he just wants peace n quiet now.

I hope people leave him alone during this crazy circus time w the resurgence.

We don't know the trauma Chester's death n absence has done to him. If he "can't" anymore, I get it. 

But I sure don't like it. 

He doesn't owe us anything, he thanked n was appreciative in that last video.. But I sure will miss him.

His quiet, his awkwardness, and that power that came out full force when he sat behind that kit. 

Now I have to mourn him like I did Chester. It's an abrupt gut punch n so far, I'm still having a hard time. 

Very sad for both band and fans.