From Zero - New Album out November 15

RogueSoul

7 minutes ago, letdownagain said:

This is the first I'm seeing about her being openly gay, but along similar lines, the single (and presumably album) was mastered by Emerson Mancini, who openly identifies as a transman. For whatever that's worth in this particular context.

I think it was SPTV? who did a livestream last night about her. He's ex scientologist with a similar story to her upbringing. He also argues that the simple fact she's part of it isn't the be-all-end-all, and some of his arguments I've included in my posts - mainly 'she's likely just trying to keep her head low to avoid their wrath' if she's still in. He's also one who's concerned about what level of connection she still has to Masterson.

Re: Emerson, that's new info to me and part of why I (and I assume other people) are giving LP the benefit of the doubt are willing to try and find out what we can and hope for a statement of clarification from the band instead of automatically writing them off. I think it's getting lost/ignored that if we didn't care about LP, we would've just been like "k cya" when this news came out. I want to keep being a fan and be hyped for the return, but I can't justify that if the worst case scenario ends up being true re: Emily and subsequently the other band members.

Edited by AParallelogramInTheSand
LDA had added more to their post

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, martinez said:

... also mastered Post Traumatic and One More Light live

Yes. I excluded those in part as those releases now inadvertently deadname him (the remaster of PT does not). You also edited out my bit about saying "in this particular context." Emily is a member of the band on "The Emptiness Machine". She is not on Post Traumatic and One More Light Live, therefore, not relevant in this particular context.

Tone is weird over the internet, so I do want to say I don't mean this to sound aggressive or rude in any way, just expressing my initial intent/phrasing (or lack thereof).

Edited by letdownagain

I'm not sure she can make a statement about it - Scientology church wouldn't allow it. And that complicates things knowing how that organization runs, we likely wont get to know her true thoughts on it all or even if she was basically strongarmed into supporting him. Can't really make a clear judgment on all of this, just gonna see how it plays out and pray she at least doesn't double down on that BS.

47 minutes ago, AParallelogramInTheSand said:

It's whataboutism plain and simple. "Can't criticize this thing because what about other thing?". It adds no value and is only used to dismiss an argument instead of counter or address any point.

If she's distanced herself and isn't actively supporting the human trafficking and stuff, I wouldn't really hold the scientology stuff against her since I've seen how scary it can be to oppose them, especially for someone like her born into it. It's willlllddd to see scientology get defended. I wonder what Shelly Miscavige has to say about all this

My guess is around the time of Already Over for Emily. Given that Mike mentions Papercuts press for Rob, I bet Mike did the drums for the album and they brought in Collin slightly before practice/rehearsals

I'm sympathetic to whataboutism and didn't mean for it to sound that way. I think it is legitimate to critique her and scientology if you want, of course. I was mores echoing the sentiment that it's a lot of virtue signaling, and that a lot of coverage and talking points here aren't actually coming from critical thinking but from people being like "oh yeah, I've heard that thing is bad, let me chime in and say I also think it's unacceptable". I think those people actually need to ask themselves why they find it unacceptable, and why they're chiming in on one moral front and not countless others. That kind of reflection gets you being productive and actually choosing your issue to meaningfully contribute to rather than just yell about it on twitter. 

And yeah I think this was really taking shape during AO, TEM sounds like it could have been on an EP with AO imo.  

5 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

I'm sympathetic to whataboutism and didn't mean for it to sound that way. I think it is legitimate to critique her and scientology if you want, of course. I was mores echoing the sentiment that it's a lot of virtue signaling, and that a lot of coverage and talking points here aren't actually coming from critical thinking but from people being like "oh yeah, I've heard that thing is bad, let me chime in and say I also think it's unacceptable". I think those people actually need to ask themselves why they find it unacceptable, and why they're chiming in on one moral front and not countless others. That kind of reflection gets you being productive and actually choosing your issue to meaningfully contribute to rather than just yell about it on twitter. 

And yeah I think this was really taking shape during AO, TEM sounds like it could have been on an EP with AO imo.  

I mean, your argument still is whataboutism, even with the clarification. I'm not gonna put out a thesis on other religions when that's not relevant to this. I find the actions and histories of religions bad and am vocal when relevant. Hell, lemme explain how all medieval churches are classist if you want one of these days.

The issue at hand is people are upset about the singer being part of a cult that is known for human trafficking (Emily may be a victim of HT as a result). It's been said by myself and I think Coizu that just her association isn't the dealbreaker, the degree of her participation is worrisome as scientology would likely try to use her as an anchor for shit. Also, the main focus has also been about her association with convicted rapist Danny Masterson. According to Cedric, she harassed his wife at the trial. If so, it brings up the question of "was she manipulated by the cult to do so or was it of her own accord"

Anyways, it basically boils down to "yes, xyz is bad too, but we're talking about abc right now" and trying to label everyone who dares say anything negative about the situation as "virtue signaling" is incorrect 

What a shit show guys

I cant even read everything.

I wish i was reading comments about the badass interviews that they gave us

Too many amazing info like the new album it's going to be heavy 

And you are stuck with criticizing our new vocalist about her beliefs.

Thats personal none of your businesses.

Just now, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

What a shit show guys

Me too. Can we please drop this thing about Emily’s beliefs & supposed past until we get more info or a statement? Things keep going in circles. 

Just now, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

What a shit show guys

What? I can’t believe I’m reading this. 
Definetley, Chester wouldn’t be proud.

btw, delete other’s posts (without infringing any rule) just because you don’t like is a real shame. 

9 minutes ago, street-soldier said:

What? I can’t believe I’m reading this. 
Definetley, Chester wouldn’t be proud.

btw, delete other’s posts (without infringing any rule) just because you don’t like is a real shame. 

Im done with negativity 

I feel very optimistic about the new era

I feel tons of energy 

Mike and the rest of the guys are very smart i trust in their vision and they already stated that they love who emily is as a person 

Move on if you dont like this new era feel free to leave.

my thoughts about the scientology thing are what some others essentially already said — she's damned if she says something about her being part of it, damned if she doesn't. i wouldn't blame her at all if she never spoke about it, especially if it puts her in danger, as long as she makes it clear in other ways that her views don't align with theirs.

it's the affiliation with a convicted rapist and allegations of harassing a rape victim that i'm more concerned about and i wish were addressed.

purely musically, she sounds great and i do enjoy the new song and i like how it sounds. i liked how she sounded live with the guys, too. i'm gonna miss rob, but if it was his choice and he did a john deacon with the band, i can grow to respect and accept that decision and i'm curious to see if colin wrote some parts on the new album and if yes, how they sound. but i just really wish that they addressed what i already said i hope to be addressed.

10 minutes ago, LionHart said:

The coolest thing about the zane lowe interview was that the cover art (seemingly Joe had a part in it?) is natural photography and not cgi. That's such a sick album cover with that context 

And Brads Jedi capabilites fopr changing the art on the big screens lol

man, i cannot explain how absolutely excited i am for from zero!!!! dude its so crazy to see them back together. i lowkey wanted to cry when i watched the livestream yesterday because it was so amazing. dang, emily armstrong fits the new role perfectly, like she is so talented. i had been on full alert ever since i heard about the possibility of a female singer being added, and after i watched the livestream, "the emptiness machine" has been my top played song :,) its the perfect linkin park vibe and i love mike's voice with emily's. i still can't believe how good mike is even through all of these years, and i admire his ability to keep moving on with new music SO much. like some other users have said, im quite sad about rob leaving as well (his drum skills are absolutely fire), but i totally respect his decision and cannot wait to see colin's capabilities!!! not to mention, im totally pumped for from zero. to be honest, this is all a little soon for me, because considering my age/where i live, i currently won't be able to attend any of the from zero world tour shows 😭 but either way, ive got november 15th on my calendar!! im really hoping it is like LIVING THINGS in the diverse way because LIVING THINGS is my all time favorite lp album. its got a nice mix of everything, and i adore the flexibility. also, really excited to hear the song with mike's scream in the new album 😛 

Papercuts cover art is also no CGI. Unfortunately, today's possibilities mean that this is no longer perceived at all, because people assume that it was made with CGI. That's why it's better to show how it was created. Like the Papercuts cover art.

Here we fucking go:

I'm gonna say it loud and clear, I think Scientology is a giant scam for rich people, full of human garbage, and more things I won't say because I don't wanna get banned.

But I also believe in the "blame the game, not the gamer". Here's where things get full of layers, being in a cult is no joke. She might have been brainwashed her entire life and harassed that woman, defended that p*dophile and maybe have changed her ways. Believe it or not, many of us we've done awful stuff to other people, and feel remorse about it. I don't know if she regrets or not about all those acts, and since none of us know, we can just make wild speculations. 

Does being indoctrinated excuse any of her errors? No, but you live and you learn. There's no other way. 

One more thing. The band has already proved to be smart enough to, at least, make a background check of any new member. I don't think that this is going to ruin any of their plans 

Edited by bloodbath

7 minutes ago, murphyLP said:

Thank god Emily already made a post explaining this topic...lets move on!

Wow she literally said almost verbatim what I said I’d hoped she say in the shoutbox lol.

With that said, most will move on but the vocal crowd online will almost definitely not lol. I am glad she addressed it, at least.