Countdown on linkinpark.com

DCrecelius

7 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Considering how the band "ended" 7 years ago, this just feels tasteless. I think they missed the mark with this one. 

Exactly, completely missed this shot. Absolute mess. They had the attention of the entire world on them, now they will lose most of that interest

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

I'm disappointed but having fun.

That said, I think this is why it's important for the voices behind the LPL/LPA handles to not act like something is definitely coming, it gets people riled up. Unless they actually know something, the tone should be more speculative imo

This! 

2 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

For me, its the opposite.

They're having fun! They're doing it just like the old days. They're not going to keep walking on eggshells, they're really moving on.

There would be nothing wrong with this kind of marketing if the band had been operating as it normally has all this time. Setting up a countdown that then starts counting back up with no other elements to it, and having to rely on industry leaks to have even an inkling of what it means, is not my idea of "fun" when we're talking about a band that went on hiatus in 2017 because the lead singer killed himself. Just post a straightforward announcement. Cutesy BS like this just riles people up.

8 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Considering how the band "ended" 7 years ago, this just feels tasteless. I think they missed the mark with this one. 

How is this 'tasteless'? This has nothing to do with 'how the band ended'. Standard promo stuff. Come on.

Why are people always so angry/bitter/toxic about everything?

2 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

Exactly, completely missed this shot. Absolute mess. They had the attention of the entire world on them, now they will lose most of that interest

Way to turn something that’s supposed to be fun into something that’s not. Come on. You think LP cares that much about being huge again? They got it all back in the day. Let them have their fun now if that’s what they want to do.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

Just now, Superxer0 said:

Not really 

Actually yes, because they had captured the casual attention, not only the harcore fan base ones. They will lose all that casual attention that cant be bothered. Marketing wise, huge disaster

I feel like coming back and quoting everyone that posted "i will support them and be considerate no matter what they do, please everyone be a good and supportive community, let's not be like Reddit"

Look at yourselves now.

Edited by vinifeijo

I agree that a straighforward announcement with this little fun would have been better, to know what's going on. I really lost my interest also, waiting days to hear what's up, then instead of any news, got a punch in the face. Now we wait till 5th Sept, then on 5th Sept they will say that big surprise on 20th Nov, the on 20th Nov they will say that more coming on 31th of Feb, and... checkmate, they will never come back.

I'll be reading the announcement in the news later instead. :(

Edited by Nezumi86

Just now, vinifeijo said:

I feel like coming back and quoting everyone that posted "i will support them and be considerate no matter what they do, please everyone be a good and supportive community, let's not be like Reddit"

Look at yourselves now.

For real. It’s like no matter what LP does people always get pissed. It’s annoying. But I guess it’s inevitable

1 minute ago, Smarky said:

How is this 'tasteless'? This has nothing to do with 'how the band ended'. Standard promo stuff. Come on.

Why are people always so angry/bitter/toxic about everything?

Agree to disagree.

Definitely not angry/bitter/toxic. I actually don't really care about the return too much. I've got my fill of LP with Chester, I've moved on. I just think they could've thrown their fans a bone for once as a thank you for sticking around. Even a simple "We are back, more info soon" would've been HUGE news and went a long way to reassuring the folks that are over here taking days off of work and getting themselves sick over thse marketing tactics. I think it feels tone deaf. If you're having fun, cool. 

Something else to believe on the Date 05/09 apart from the glitching on the stream:

The video on the post starts on the 05 seconds left of the countdown, and ends on the 9th second after it starts counting up.

2 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Agree to disagree.

Definitely not angry/bitter/toxic. I actually don't really care about the return too much. I've got my fill of LP with Chester, I've moved on. I just think they could've thrown their fans a bone for once as a thank you for sticking around. Even a simple "We are back, more info soon" would've been HUGE news and went a long way to reassuring the folks that are over here taking days off of work and getting themselves sick over thse marketing tactics. I think it feels tone deaf. If you're having fun, cool. 

If you are taking a day of work and getting yourself sick over a count down on a website, I think you have bigger issues, those type of people are going to be upset no matter what happens.

Edited by Smarky

We had some really interesting opinions here.

Honestly, this was the most media attention the band has received since Chester's passing. I believe they got even more attention than when they released unreleased tracks.

They missed a huge opportunity to announce whatever they plan to announce.

Making the clock change direction after it hit zero was a terrible marketing move.

Regardless of whether it was an announcement of their return or the sale of a new keychain model, a huge opportunity was lost. They won't have this attention again.

4 minutes ago, max91 said:

Something else to believe on the Date 05/09 apart from the glitching on the stream:

The video on the post starts on the 05 seconds left of the countdown, and ends on the 9th second after it starts counting up.

GREAT CATCH!
This, plus the glitch at 9:05

There must be something there

1 minute ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

Honestly, this was the most media attention the band has received since Chester's passing. I believe they got even more attention than when they released unreleased tracks.

Making the clock change direction after it hit zero was a terrible marketing move.

Regardless of whether it was an announcement of their return or the sale of a new keychain model, a huge opportunity was lost. They won't have this attention again.

Even if they're coming back, and im happy for that, i would prefered if the counter ended on the time they release what they have to release, or at least tease something else and not just a clock starting up again with a glitch.

5 minutes ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

Yes they will. 

No matter how 'annoying' it is, how many times it counts back and forth or what not, the minute something is actually announced it will be covered by media worldwide, this is just for the smaller fanbase that follow things a little more closely, the amount of people watching the YouTube stream video was in the low thousands, what you are experiencing is the bubble effect and anyone annoyed thinking this is bad marketing is falling for the same trap.  The attention will be plenty. Everyone that watched and is annoyed, even if you don't continue to watch, you are still going to come back at some point to see what it was, every single person will, so not a single person complaining has been lost and when the announcement is made it will be covered much wider.

Those Marketing experts in this thread claiming it is some form of disaster, please post pictures of your marketing degrees and your resumes showing all your years working in Marketing, thanks.

Edited by Smarky

2 minutes ago, Smarky said:

Yes they will. 

No matter how 'annoying' it is, how many times it counts back and forth or what not, the minute something is actually announced it will be covered by media worldwide, this is just for the smaller fanbase that follow things a little more closely, the amount of people watching the YouTube stream video was in the low thousands, what you are experiencing is the bubble effect and anyone annoyed thinking this is bad marketing is falling for the same trap.  The attention will be plenty. Everyone that watched and is annoyed, even if you don't continue to watch, you are still going to come back at some point to see what it was, every single person will, so not a single person complaining has been lost and when the announcement is made it will be covered much wider.

Those claiming it is some form of disaster in marketing, please post pictures of your marketing degrees and your resumes showing all your years working in Marketing thanks.

Care to show yours mr marketing? You dont know who you are talking to on the internet, so show some respect. We couldnt be more clear on why this is a marketing disaster, the band doesnt need your free pr

15 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

Look at yourselves now.

Absolutely.