Three members of Linkin Park are mulling a possible 2025 tour with female vocalist

58 minutes ago, RentEznor said:

Jay Gordon hasn't done anything else with the band besides one song in 20+ years. Why did he open his mouth now? Even with the rumors having some kind of veracity, I was very confused by his out of nowhere statement.

Regardless, whatever might happen next year, I'm excited.

Jay was always right, he messed up and threw the interviewer under the bus, for sure he had a source close to the band that told him that the band is coming back w a female singer. 

Talking about Jay's words he said that THEY ALREADY HAVE THE SINGER which is something different from what Billboard is claiming.

Makes sense if they already have the vocalist, they need a lot of time to figure stuff.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

I don’t have much to contribute that hasn’t been said, or will be said, about the new singer situation, but the lack of seeing Rob’s name doesn’t come as a shock to me. I really suspect this is extremely similar to Queen and John Deacon, who’s last recording with the band was a new song for a greatest hits compilation and last appearance as a live member of the band was at Freddie’s tribute concert. Sound familiar?

His lack of appearance outside one HT20 Q+A and Mike’s comments about his whereabouts have painted the picture of him largely retreating from public life following Chester’s death, so none of this surprises me.

Joe, on the other hand, is a bit of a shock given that’s he’s been involved with the promotion with the boxsets and Papercuts and even confirmed QWERTY’s release. He was also the first member of LP to join Mike at a solo (non-FM) show. No disrespect to Rob, but his contributions live seem like a stranger position to fill than a traditional drummer, so curious to see what becomes of that.

Provided, of course, that any of this is legit. But anyone who isn’t putting serious stock into the fact that Billboard is reporting doesn’t understand music press. It’s a lot more significant than Jay Gordon’s comments. But that said, remember that Joe Jonas got so much shit for suggesting a My Chemical Romance return and was called a liar by a band member, and then was 100% correct. Jay’s not a rando who’s completely disconnected from the LP camp; he’s on Reanimation and his ex-bandmates are Dead by Sunrise.

My personal opinion is that I’d prefer a “Joy Division/New Order” situation that has a new band name but performs LP songs, though I understand that’s harder to market. Either way, I do think the STP w/CB method is the template. Focus on playing the hits live so people who’ve never seen LP can get their fix and maybe do ONE new song out the gate to demonstrate what the new setup can do. Then move towards an EP (or album) over time as that progresses. Not too much new music too soon.

Edited by letdownagain

Will they change their name? And about Rob I hope he's happy whatever he's doing. As much as I confess that I would like to see him after so many years 

At the least, I am not fond of the "x with y" name's format.

I don't know. It is very subjective I guess, but something about it makes it sound too much like this kind of thingy -> "Ladies and gentleman, let the Saturday night show begins, with X featuring our special guest of the night Y !!!".

I'd much rather have the original name. Feels more artistic. Up to the remaining band members to decide what "Linkin Park" means.

Posted (edited)

Going big with my predictions.

2025:

- Headlining all or most Danny WImmer fests in the US. Billed as 25 Year anniversary of Hybrid Theory

- Headliner Shows in major A market cities

- Sick New World headliner

- Small LA area show as a warmup to touring OR live debut with new singer at Coachella (either as Headliner, Top row billing, or surprise set)

- At least 1 new song to get everyone introduced to new singer. No album right away

- TONS of merch. TONS.

Edited by Hybrid1988

14 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

At the least, I am not fond of the "x with y" name's format.

I don't know. It is very subjective I guess, but something about it makes it sound too much like this kind of thingy -> "Ladies and gentleman, let the Saturday night show begins, with X featuring our special guest of the night Y !!!".

I'd much rather have the original name. Feels more artistic. Up to the remaining band members to decide what "Linkin Park" means.

I agree, but I think the only risk is it being a female singer is gonna make it sound so different, some people might be a bit surprised to hear it when they show up. Using "+ X" probably mitigates that. But like you said, it's up to their vision. If they really feel comfortable with this person after one tour, maybe they'd drop the "+X" and go forward with them being firmly part of the band. 

I expect this person to show up in a studio recording beforehand, and I imagine that'll be presented as a song/EP a lot like STP did with Chester 

I still believe that Bobby Amaru is the best choice

22 hours ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Going big with my predictions.

2025:

- Headlining all or most Danny WImmer fests in the US. Billed as 25 Year anniversary of Hybrid Theory

- Headliner Shows in major A market cities

- Sick New World headliner

- Small LA area show as a warmup to touring OR live debut with new singer at Coachella (either as Headliner, Top row billing, or surprise set)

- At least 1 new song to get everyone introduced to new singer. No album right away

- TONS of merch. TONS.

Imagine getting a singer who can't do Hybrid Theory in full for the 25th anniversary lol

2 hours ago, PartOfMe said:

Will they change their name? And about Rob I hope he's happy whatever he's doing. As much as I confess that I would like to see him after so many years 

Totally different genre but look at Take That in the UK. They went from a 5 piece, to 4, then back to 5, then 4, now 3. Still go by Take That. 

4 minutes ago, Sukotto said:

Totally different genre but look at Take That in the UK. They went from a 5 piece, to 4, then back to 5, then 4, now 3. Still go by Take That. 

And also Linkin Park is already an established name in the industry. I think if you ask most people they have at least heard of 

Honestly… I’m not against this, and to be honest the rest of the guys (even if it’s just Mike, Phoenix & Brad + the new vocalist) deserve to be playing onstage while they still can. If this is the way for them to do it then I’m okay. As much as I love Mike & think highly of his talents, he can’t really hit the high notes required of most LP choruses sung by Chester. With that being said Mike probably can’t front LP by himself, I’m sure he’s tried behind the scenes, otherwise they wouldn’t have been on hiatus for 7 years. Enough time (and grief processing - because Chester was my hero) has passed to let me say that in  my opinion LP shouldn’t die with Chester, that’s not fair to the rest of the band. As much as we all loved Chester, he made the decision to take his own life and leave us behind because he was truly suffering. But his body of work should be celebrated and probably always will be. I’m confident we’ll continue to get box sets & material with Chester as time goes on. (Here’s hoping Summer Sonic 06 gets released lol) Also, any singer they get will be compared to him anyway regardless of who it is, (Mike would be as well if he were to front the band) but i think a female vocal would bring less comparison, especially if the new singer is a good one, it might take some time for people to warm up to them regardless but I’m behind them 100%. 

On 5/1/2024 at 4:32 PM, Bambitt said:

Well Joe is part of Papercuts video commentary, so I dont think he’s gone

Joe could just not really be a part of key decision making as much anymore, doesn’t mean he’s gone.

Posted (edited)

Female vocalist is a genius move for avoiding comparison.

Just hope they find someone with a unique tone/timbre, not the generic pop female singer like that Sydney Sierota from the Hollywood Bowl. Wasn't bad, but far from anything especial. Over the last few years the only female vocalist i would call outstanding is Courtney from Spiritbox. That's a one in a million voice.
Bonnie really did surprise me in the Bleed it Out video, and it was the test i needed to accept LP with a female singer. It can happen and it can be very good!

Can't picture them going with a novice singer, not well known or already being part of a relevant band. It's a tough job not only in a singing level, but in a interview/media level, in a stage presence level, in dealing with expectations level... that's a tough responsability, and it takes experience to deal with that.

About Rob, not really a surprise. It's sad but understandable. I could see him featuring in one or two songs in concerts near his home or something like that. Frank Zummo is the call, he was amazing in the Hollywood Bowl and very respectful for Rob's parts.

Regarding Joe, let's see. This was the biggest surprise so far. Thinking replacements, Jordan Fish came to mind, but he's too similar too Mike in the production level and it could get a little bit weird.

Edited by vinifeijo

Okay, after taking a day or so to really process everything...

I like it. I really do. Mike, Brad and Phoenix still want to play and tour and I'm very happy about that. Maybe this was that 'Mike and Friends' headline from a while back. Setting up tours without getting people crazy for LP's return. We can only theorize right now. Technically speaking, it isn't wrong, either, especially if Mike's bringing any of the guys he toured with for Post Traumatic. All I ask is that they come to Detroit, lol. 

A female singer is a genius move to avoid that comparison we know they were worried over for so long. It's a great move and I'm interested to see who they bring in and what all she can do. Of course it'll feel weird without Chester, I can't see why it wouldn't. One thing though, I don't know if I want to see her doing ITE, Numb, Crawling or BTE. I ONLY say this because those songs, to me, are just... They're Chesters. I don't wanna see anyone do those instead of him, personally, unless it's the Hollywood Bowl/PT Tour variations of ITE and Numb where the crowd sings. Maybe do like they did for New Divide at the Hollywood Bowl for a song or two like BTH. Give the live crowds a chance to sing with Chaz again. That's just me.

Now, as far as the other elephant in the room... Obviously it's sad that Joe and Rob might not be joining. At least not right away. But Joe seems content doing his own thing and Rob hates being in the public eye. I'm sure Rob would probably join them every now and again, same with Joe. TLTGYA is like Rob's baby, if they were to play that, you know they'd join him, and With You has a damn Mr, Hahn solo. You know he'd show if they were to play that. 

All in all, I'm excited. I just finished one dream show this year (Wrestlemania, babyyy!) I'd KILL to finish the other next year. I think this is an interesting new plan and I'll follow the band to the ends of the earth.

1 hour ago, vinifeijo said:

Bonnie really did surprise me in the Bleed it Out video, and it was the test i needed to accept LP with a female singer. It can happen and it can be very good!

She doesnt have enough power to do the screaming parts of other songs, also she doesnt really screams its more like yelling.

She can do All For Nothing.. YOU SAY!!!

I cant picture Bonnie doing the Faint/OSC/APFMH bridges, no way.

Also now that QWERTY is getting popular they might play again, theres no way that she can do that.

6 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

She doesnt have enough power to do the screaming parts of other songs, also she doesnt really screams its more like yelling.

I dunno man, the gravel's there. I think she could easily pull it off, especially with a little training and practice. The real question is can she keep it up over a nearly 2 hour set. 

Just now, SardonicallyParanoid said:

I dunno man, the gravel's there. I think she could easily pull it off, especially with a little training and practice. The real question is can she keep it up over a nearly 2 hour set. 

For me she sounds like she's having a hard time to pull it off, why would you choose someone who will be limited and would only be able to sing easy songs.  HT25 is coming next year pretty sure that a promoter would want to get the band to perform the whole album, she cant do it.

2 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

For me she sounds like she's having a hard time to pull it off, why would you choose someone who will be limited and would only be able to sing easy songs.  HT25 is coming next year pretty sure that a promoter would want to get the band to perform the whole album, she cant do it.

I can tell you from personal experience scream-singing. She doesn't seem to be having an issue. It's just HOW she screams. It ain't gonna sound the same as so-and-so, she just simply is herself.

Here’s my take on this: it aint gonna be someone famous. Certainly not Hayley Williams, Amy Lee or Courtney LaPlante. These are the most exposed names in rock/metal music, so majority will just spam those names, or even just random LP associated females. Only Alainis Morrisette is missing so far…

I believe they’ll go for someone less known, might be someone totally random. They might avoid major comparisons, references etc.

I think it's more likely that it will be someone who's already been "around the block", who's proven themselves in studio and live touring scenarios.

Doesn't mean it has to be a well known name, it can be someone lesser known, but for example I don't see them choosing a TikTok/Instagram artist who's never toured in their life. It would be a big risk and they certainly don't need that

11 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Here’s my take on this: it aint gonna be someone famous. Certainly not Hayley Williams, Amy Lee or Courtney LaPlante. These are the most exposed names in rock/metal music, so majority will just spam those names, or even just random LP associated females. Only Alainis Morrisette is missing so far…

I believe they’ll go for someone less known, might be someone totally random. They might avoid major comparisons, references etc.

100% agree with this. It will be like Daisy Ridley for TFA, someone we don't know that has been extremely carefully selected that brings familiar beats to the franchise/band yet is fresh in ways that matter. 

I think it will be unplugged/acoustic/stripped tour like it was before OML world premiere 😉and its why there is no Rob and Joe in there. Skylar Grey would fit with them perfectly.

On 4/30/2024 at 6:34 PM, millytripleseven said:

Another thing I thought of is that maybe Joe & the band came to a conclusion that in the year 2024 a rock band doesn't really need a DJ, so it would be natural to start this "new chapter" without one in the band.

They would work around Joe's parts during live shows, like use backing tracks and have someone else (Mike/Brad) operate the samplers.

Joe would still work with them, but more as an art director, designer.

There is also the chance they could get a sessionist to play these parts live, which is a very common practice when it comes to sampling. Depending on how interested Joe is in what the band does next for sure even if he's busy with other stuff.

Either way, the point is, that he could either work with the band just in the studio, just on tour, both, or neither. He would probably give his blessing, I think (and I'm assuming having the band touring would definitively help with royalties and stuff).

On 5/1/2024 at 10:16 AM, letdownagain said:

I don’t have much to contribute that hasn’t been said, or will be said, about the new singer situation, but the lack of seeing Rob’s name doesn’t come as a shock to me. I really suspect this is extremely similar to Queen and John Deacon, who’s last recording with the band was a new song for a greatest hits compilation and last appearance as a live member of the band was at Freddie’s tribute concert. Sound familiar?

His lack of appearance outside one HT20 Q+A and Mike’s comments about his whereabouts have painted the picture of him largely retreating from public life following Chester’s death, so none of this surprises me.

In regards to Rob, I could see him wanting to retire from public life, it's not for everyone. I don't think that would translate into him not wanting the band to continue or for the legacy of it being kept, I agree it sounds very similar to Deacon's situation.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:45 AM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Imagine getting a singer who can't do Hybrid Theory in full for the 25th anniversary lol

I believe that any promoter that wants to have Linkin Park touring, would take them regardless if they play HT in full or not. Considering how hard it must have been to get them to do it for DL '14, and the band never being too keen to be stuck in just that period, I'd say it's highly unlikely they would agree to that.

Furthermore, I would honestly expect if they were to tour with a new singer they would make new music, and they would rearrange songs to play them in a different way that fits their setting (Like how Mike played Papercut in his solo tour).

On that note, I think they would tour as Linkin Park. As iconic as Chester's voice is, the name was always meant to symbolize the band and their brand/philosophy in regards to making music, and not just 1 or 2 members. I mean, besides a few festival dates, Mike's tour was very small in comparison when it comes to venues, so I would 100% think that both the band and promoters would want the name recognition to run bigger events.